Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 6, 2009, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I've never heard it specifically mentioned WRT to tweeters but when I built mine I broke in the woofers a bit before hand and they were still a little harsh for a week or so. So either the tweet needed break in too or I didn't break the woofers in enough. Either way not a big deal, you can always break them in by just using them. If you do decide to break them in while you finish the cabs make sure not to give them too much power. Without a box it'll only take a watt or two do drive them to excursion limits.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old October 7, 2009, 11:36 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

OK. So if wattage isn't overly important, would it be reasonable for me to just wire the crossover temporarily to a 3.5mm jack and use an MP3 player to break them in? Or would that be too weak?
Old October 8, 2009, 12:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I don't think a mp3 player will have enough wattage, AFAIK they are in the mW range. You could try it but it might not be a hard impedence for the player to handle.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old October 8, 2009, 09:55 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm....Looks like you were right. I tried it, and could hear the music, but it was awfully quiet. Luckily, I remembered an old mixer board I had stowed away, and hooked the MP3 player onto that.

So my next set of questions is: a) how loud should I be pushing it for break in and b) How many hours am I looking at for break in?
Old October 8, 2009, 10:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Your ears will tell you when you're pushing them too hard. The sound should change slightly just before you hear the clacking of the voice coil hitting the magnet structure. That's too far, back it off a bit from there. As for how long I dunno. I broke mine in for like a week and still noticed the sound changing for the first couple weeks after I started using them for music, but then again I only broke in the woofers and not the tweet so maybe the tweet was the speaker that was changing. I don't know for sure.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old October 9, 2009, 09:44 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks again.

I finally got my worklog underway today:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...itrix-set.html

Enjoy!
Old April 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
Rookie

Been shopping at different places for speaker parts for 4 or 5 years. My bro and I weren't too sure about what we were doing in the beginning. But now we just suffer through the shipping at parts express. Haven't been able to find anyone else that has half decent prices as well as the selection that they do.
After a lot of research, finishing practice, and about 7000 dollars in no good wasted parts, we've finally got our first set done. We compared 2 or ours to 4 $750.00 Revel speakers. Our speakers absolutely blew them out of the water in every aspect. Our goal is sound quality without distortion even at extreme volumes and accurate imaging. We even engineered our own crossovers which we build from scratch (using P-inductors of course because coiling sucks).

I have attached pictures if anyone is interested

Yes those are $2000 B&W we are using as stands lol
Attached Images

Old April 27, 2011, 05:26 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Nicely done! I find that it's actually cheaper for me to drive down there and pick up what I want (windsor area, so it's about the same time as a trip to TO), as opposed to having it shipped to me. I've driven down there the past couple of years to take advantage of their tent sale, since everything in the store is 20% off, and saved quite a bit of money.

Although ... with the price of gas where it is ... it's quickly losing that advantage.

EDIT: I know, thread necro ... meh ...
Old April 29, 2011, 08:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyups View Post
Nicely done! I find that it's actually cheaper for me to drive down there and pick up what I want (windsor area, so it's about the same time as a trip to TO), as opposed to having it shipped to me. I've driven down there the past couple of years to take advantage of their tent sale, since everything in the store is 20% off, and saved quite a bit of money.

Although ... with the price of gas where it is ... it's quickly losing that advantage.

EDIT: I know, thread necro ... meh ...
I would love to be able to just go there and buy things, the shipping is what kills me every time.

Speakers are 110 watt a side and the sub is 2000 watt/ 1000 watt rack amp