Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 29, 2009, 09:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Do you think the sealed enclosure will allow the speakers to adequately handle the bass down to the frequency that the sub takes over? If so, I suppose there really isn't any good reason to go with the TL. I just thought that there might be some gap in between (or at least parts that the sub didn't handle as well as it could) so I should go for the kind of enclosure that produced the most bass. That said, the sealed enclosures would be super easy to mount somehow, or put on stands!

In regard to crossing over, that's pretty much up to my receiver, isn't it? I can turn the sub up or down to control how early and how hard it comes in, but that's pretty much the extent of my control; I don't think my receiver is capable of doing EQ for the sub and speakers individually.
Old September 30, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Realistically unless your speakers can dig pretty deep there's always going to be a little gap between the mains and the sub - assuming no EQ. My speakers use 6" drivers and I have a little gap there which is why I'm doing the 'upgrade' to have dual 8"s handle that. Most of the time it's not noticeable and measurements don't show a gap either (I have a mic & software to do measurements), but on some particular types of music I notice it a little lacking in the 'kick in the chest' department. Like cranking some AC/DC or other hard rock'n'roll which is based right aroung the XO frequency. If your receiver has the ability to cross the sub at 120Hz and the mains at 100HZ then you're golden, otherwise a little EQ can probably fix it up mostly. You'll have to play with settings to see what you like - and what's available to you. Keep in mind all this is concerning critical music listening for HT requirements are FAR less critical. You're not going to listen to a car explosion and say 'Hey! that's not quite what that should sound like!" but you may notice a little bit listening to some music that happens to contain a bass guitar running up and down the scale should it hit at just the right note.

Building a ported or TL box would help a bit in filling that gap but there is an inherent phase change (or lag if that sounds better) when the speakers start going low with those types of boxes. This may or probably not play nice with your sub so you'll get certain frequencies that add giving you a peak in response or a dip depending on frequency. If your sub amp has phase adjust capability then you could probably compensate for it but without measurement gear it could take a while. Personally I'd build 'em sealed. Keep in mind these speakers are a thousand miles ahead of what you have now.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old September 30, 2009, 12:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Good point; I guess there's not much point worrying about the pool not being olympic size when moving from a shack to a mansion. I'll go the sealed and save the space. :)
Old September 30, 2009, 09:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Holy quick service! I ordered the kit from PartsExpress Monday, and it arrived today! The only thing missing is my vinyl veneer, which is in a separate package (I imagine it should come tomorrow--the original, scheduled delivery day).

I realized, however, that the kit doesn't come with wire to run the internals (posts to crossover, crossover to drivers). Is there a particular gauge I should be using? I tried googling it, but didn't find a particularly straight-up answer; some people say 21 awg, some swear by 12awg...does it matter?
Old September 30, 2009, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Never heard 21AWG before. It's really not critical so don't get too worked up about it. There is a LOT of bullsh!t floating around out there in the audiophile world, look hard enough and you will find someone that swears by rubbing down your speaker wires with snake oil will make all the difference in the world. Pure BS! I'd aim for 16AWG or 18AWG... whatever's handy. Any bigger certainly won't hurt but it won't help either.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old October 1, 2009, 08:13 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That's kinda what I figured with a run that short, but thought I'd ask. Cheers!
Old October 5, 2009, 02:28 PM
Rookie

Good luck with the build.

Any issues, unexpected costs shipping from Parts Express, duty/taxes/broker fees etc?

I was concerned there may have been unexpected costs so I ordered all my parts from Solen.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:14 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nope. Fedex was a little pricey, but going with the International Express option means that there's no brokerage. Now, keep in mind that you still have to pay tax and duty when it arrives, which I think came to a bit over $20 for me, but I expected it. I'll probably be ordering any other parts I get from Solen, as the prices aren't that different except on the Recession Destroyer, which Solen couldn't even touch.

I'll try to start a bit of a worklog soon. Thus far, I bought my very own tablesaw (my first), borrowed a buddy's router, and have got the majority of the cutting done. I spent some additional time working out how I was going to make and attach my own circle jig, but it seems to work well, and I have finished the baffles. A few more cuts and I can start assembling. I also have the boards cut for the crossover, but haven't started assembly on them yet.
Old October 6, 2009, 09:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Glad things are moving along nicely. Congrats on the new TS.

Anyway you can get the speakers moving with an extra amp or something? Speakers need to be broken in before they sound like what they're supposed to, setting them up on something just helps accelerate the break in period. No biggie if you can't just be aware the 'sound' of the speakers will change a bit for the first little while.

Looking forward to that worklog.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old October 6, 2009, 05:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, Biff. Does that go for tweeters as well as mids? I guess once I get the crossovers assembled and all that, I should be able to find some way to break them in before I finish up the enclosures and mount them.

Also, any thoughts as to what to use for screws or bolts to secure the speakers to the enclosures? I could just use particle board screws, but I'm not sure whether or not that would be a good idea.