Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 26, 2009, 11:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I read you original post in my email and yes the TriTrix uses 4 Ohm speakers... two of 'em wired in series to make an 8 ohm speaker. Safe for your receiver. I'm guessing that's what you solved?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old September 27, 2009, 12:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

<laugh> Yes. It took me a bit to put that logic together, though. I didn't realize they were in series, rather than parallel...

I pulled the trigger and just bought the damn kit before I manage to confuse myself again or find a reason to reconsider for a 20th time...It should arrive Thursday, I think.

If all goes well, I think surrounds may be in the future, though I assume that I would have to choose the 8 ohm version of the woofer at that point, as I would only be using one of them; that will be after more money trickles in, however.
Old September 28, 2009, 10:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Are you building the sealed or vented version? If you're going vented you will have to come up with a port (if you haven't already) and you won't want to use the stuffing - or much of it any way- that the kit comes with. General consensus is stuff a sealed box, line a vented, though you might still use a little stuffing as well to tune the sound. Also if you're designing these boxes you'll want to get the tweeters on axis, as in aiming at your ears. You can either build them tall enough or use stands to raise them up, or build them angled. Here's a build thread of some nice vented 'tilted' Tritrix's.... Don't forget to add some bracing!

[edit]BTW Babrbarossa, I don't recognize that unit - it's probably proprietary. I'm asking around another forum for ideas/advice. I'll pass along any info when I get it.[/edit]
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)

Last edited by biff; September 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old September 28, 2009, 08:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I think I'm actually going to make the TL version, but put them on small stands so that they sit at the same height as my television. That should put the tweeters as on-axis as possible, though it will take some thinking to design the stands around my sub and TV stand.

What do you think about connecting the stand to the speaker via carriage bolts with rubber washers and nylon nuts so that there's no jingling?

As to stuffing, do I just fill up the whole front portion of the TL--as in stuff it full? That seems like a weird idea to me, but if that's the way it's supposed to be, I guess that's what I'll do...
Old September 28, 2009, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I thought the TL big enough to make it a good size floor stander on it's own... if it's not id just make the boxes as tall as what will work out well and if it's too tall for what the design calls for then just make what ever space you need to at the bottom of the cabinet a separate chamber. That is also a nice place to stuff the crossover. Look at that link I gave you to see the 'empty' bottom chamber.

I have next to no idea with TL speakers especially when it comes to stuffing. I know they are stuffing sensitive and if Curt doesn't give clear enough instruction in his write up for you then you can contact him and ask. These speaker guys are usually very approachable about their designs, but I know Curt definitely is.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old September 29, 2009, 08:21 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks again, Biff.

My problem with just extending the tower with a separate chamber comes from how my home theatre is set up. Here a pic:

As you can see, there's only a tiny bit of room on either side of the T.V. stand, and on the right hand side, that's entirely taken up by my sub. Unfortunately, relocation is out of the question, as our living room is TINY, and the only other thing we could put on that wall would be our chair (direct opposite), which would put the T.V. in front of the window...just not doable.

I figured if I could make a stand that somehow slips under the sub and/or the stand, and holds the speakers at T.V. height, I should be in business. My only worry is vibration.
Old September 29, 2009, 09:40 AM
Hall Of Fame

or you can use an equailzer an let your ears do the calculations minus the cross-over matching
Old September 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Can you relocate just the sub? Below ~100Hz your ears aren't capable of telling what direction the sound is coming from.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old September 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Not easily, as there is a doorway to either side of the unit. If I ran the cable with the speaker cables along the floor of the left-hand doorway I *might* be able to relocate it beside the couch, which would be reasonably out of the way. Things would be easier if we weren't renting, but unfortunately that would take a lot larger budget than I had in mind for the project :)
Old September 29, 2009, 08:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Wait a minute - The difference between the sealed, vented and TL box designs are differences in low end extension.... but you have a sub. Your speakers won't be extending that low nor do you want them to making box alignments pretty much a moot point. Relieving speakers this size of having to produce bass notes will greatly help clean up the midrange. You'll probably want to cross over to the sub at ~120Hz with these speakers. I'd make the sealed box since they will mix with the sub cleaner and are also the smallest box which is kinda what you need right now. And sealed are also very forgiving in box construction and also the easiest to make. win - win.

If at some point you want to use these as a stereo pair when a sub isn't going to be used then you can make a TL box for them if you like.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)