Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Dynamic microphone with Xonar Essence STX

If any Essence owners could chime in with their thoughts on this, it's be appreciated. I'm planning on buying one of these cards for the build and I'm just exploring my microphone options so I'll be all set for voip/vent once it's all built. I noticed the Essence has a 1/4" TRS port for microphone/line-level stereo input, so I've been looking for a microphone that I'd be able to use with that (I figure I might as well make the most of the card).

Canada Computers has a cheap, well reviewed Behringer dynamic mic for $25, and I figure if I pick that up with a cheap XLR to TRS cable from Monoprice, I'll have a much better performing mic for cheaper than it would have been to get a crappy Logitech USB mic instead. My only concern is, does the Essence have a beefy enough preamp to power the mic?

Its headphone amp is probably its most well-known feature (and also the reason I'm buying it), but not much is said about the microphone amp. The internets have not been very helpful/consistent with answers for this...

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06