Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Yamaha?

Greetings, I was wondering if anyone here has used any of the Yamaha hdmi 60xx 7.1 series A/V receivers. They are discontinued and I can get one on the cheap. I'm planning on putting a basic home theatre in the master bedroom.

hdmi dvd player (divx) the one I'm looking at also has a usb port. (gf is buying)
headboard flush mount rear speakers (going to mod the headboard)
front l/r/centre speakers, no sub
27" flat tube tv w/ regular cable

The 27" tv is currently in use in the living room but is being replaced just after xmas with a 40" lcd. This will be used for pc hookup for all media. tv/cd/dvd/occaisional gaming.
The Yamaha 7.1 will be replacing my 5.1 pioneer which will be going into the bedroom. Keep in mind that I'm on a limited budget.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 15, 2009, 10:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I have one, can't recall the exact model number right now though, but I've posted it on here before...

However I have only a HTIB Panasonic receiver to compare to, the Yamaha definitely sounds far better. Haven't had any huge issues, however the HDMI HDCP is a bit iffy. My Rogers HD terminal would loose HDCP handshake when switching to my HTPC (running off the HD4350), so the cable box always had to be powered off and back on to renegotiate HDCP. I decided to just keep the audio and video separate on my HTPC in the end, so HDMI into the TV than coaxial to the receiver for audio.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I thought about that so I decided to go with a similar setup. Video from my gtx275 to tv via hdmi and sound from my auzentech to receiver via toslink. The receiver has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output. I'll be using those for Rogers HD and dvd (if i decide to get one).

Old September 15, 2009, 12:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Be careful with some of those, i originally bought a Yamaha 7.1 receiver which said it did audio processing where it actually just passed the signal through and rendering my speakers useless. Returned it that day and went with a samsung that actually get the job done. Unfortunately i can't remember the model of it but it had 2 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out
Old September 15, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yamaha makes some of the better receivers around, especially in the mid and high-end. They usually sport tremendous power supplies and therefore can power a wide range of speakers. I have an HTR-5960 which pairs nicely with my power-hungry SVS 5.1 system.
Old September 15, 2009, 07:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
I thought about that so I decided to go with a similar setup. Video from my gtx275 to tv via hdmi and sound from my auzentech to receiver via toslink. The receiver has 2 hdmi inputs and 1 output. I'll be using those for Rogers HD and dvd (if i decide to get one).
Well if you turn off your Rogers box when switching to other inputs, you wouldn't have any issues.

It's just that I keep mine running whenever the TV is on since I have some 80mm fans rigged into the switched power outlet on it to help keep all the stuff in my cabinet cool.

And I have the HTR6140B which is only 5.1.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Here's the specs:

HTR6060, 7.1-channel Surround Sound Receiver:
  • iPod Support: using a YDS11 (not included) you can control all the tunes from your iPod using the Yamaha remote. Bluetooth Wireless Audio Support: with a YBA10 dock (not included), you can enjoy audio streaming, wirelessly, from any Bluetooth A2DP compliant device. You can also stream wirelessly from Windows PC or Mac that is Bluetooth enabled Video Up-scaling: the HTR6060B will take your 480i signal and upscale it to 480p (HD; deinterlaced). HDMI (Repeater): 2-ins / 1-Out. this receiver features dual HDMI inputs and one output that can handle all HD format including 720p, 1080i and 1080p so users can connect two HDMI sources, such as a DVD player and a high definition set-top box, and enjoy the highest possible quality with HD display (* not support audio signal) YPAO: with the included YPAO microphone, you can automatically calibrate your entire home theatre setup in under 3-minutes. Just plug the Mic in and the receiver takes over. XM Ready. If you have a home based XM subscription, you can enjoy XM radio using the HTR6060 Compressed Music Enhancer: this feature makes all your poorly compressed MP3s sound much better. Special Features for iPod and other MP3 Players:
    • Compressed Music Enhancer: If you have an MP3 that’s not the best quality, simply enable Yamaha’s Compressed Music Enhancer and be marvelled as the receiver introduces sound-resolution back into the song in real-time playback.
    • Front panel headphone jack for private listening.
    HDTV Capable via Component Inputs (3 Ins / 1 Out): The frequency response of the component video signal is 5Hz-60Mhz, offering higher picture quality and HDTV compatibility. The HTR6060B allows you to connect two different components for a choice of high quality video sources. Silent Cinema: Yamaha has added HRTF and "Virtual" technology to create a realistic surround movie effect using standard, two-channel headphones. Yamaha DSP Programs: 8 DSP Modes (3 HiFi DSP, 5 Cinema Surrounds DSP). 40-station Direct Access Preset Tuning: Up to 40 Preset AM and FM stations can be programmed (8 stations x 5 groups). These groupings make it easy for family members to access their favourite stations or to have musical genres, such as all jazz stations, grouped together. 9 selectable subwoofer crossover frequencies 8-channel external decoder input
  • Front panel Video Aux Input: convenient for video playback from camcorders and digital cameras

Last edited by mo' power; September 15, 2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old September 15, 2009, 11:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

sorry to derail slightly, but what are your thoughts on a yamaha 6.1 reciever? I'd never heard of 6.1 before..
Old September 15, 2009, 11:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My best gues would be lf/c/rf lsurr/rc/rsurr and .1 for the sub?

Old September 16, 2009, 05:05 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
HDMI (Repeater): 2-ins / 1-Out. this receiver features dual HDMI inputs and one output that can handle all HD format including 720p, 1080i and 1080p so users can connect two HDMI sources, such as a DVD player and a high definition set-top box, and enjoy the highest possible quality with HD display (* not support audio signal)

If i am reading this its doing what i thought, i think this one does a by-pass in audio processing and just sends the audio straight to the tv, aka no sound through speakers when using hdmi.