Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

This shouldn't really concern me, but here goes...
I'll be sending the video signal from my pc direct to tv via hdmi and rogers HD box video direct to tv via hdmi.
Audio will be sent from pc to receiver via toslink and rogers HD box audio to receiver via RCA, toslink or maybe even coax? I don't have a an HD box yet so I'm not sure what options are available. What jacks are available on the rogers box. Can anyone here with a rogers HD box elaborate?

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 16, 2009, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Never mind, rogers has a pdf on their rogers hd box on their website. I'll be using component cables from hd box to tv for video and composite cable from hd box to receiver for audio. Problem solved.
I'll just need to be careful when purchasing a dvd player to make sure component and composite jacks are available.
I'm not an engineer, but why would you design a receiver with hdmi when you can't use it properly?

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old September 18, 2009, 07:56 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Why have an HD box and a surround sound setup, yet you use only stereo RCA audio? Use optical so you get Dolby 5.1 on HD channels.

It would be a wise idea to get a receiver that supports HDMI audio though IMO, unless your TV has numerous HDMI ports that you'll never fill.
Old September 18, 2009, 03:57 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
sorry to derail slightly, but what are your thoughts on a yamaha 6.1 reciever? I'd never heard of 6.1 before..
My friend has a 6.1 Yamaha reciever and it has Right/Left/Center for the front, Left and Right on the sides, and then one centered behind you. It sounds good on any 5.1 mix I've experienced over there.
Old September 18, 2009, 08:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo' power View Post
Never mind, rogers has a pdf on their rogers hd box on their website. I'll be using component cables from hd box to tv for video and composite cable from hd box to receiver for audio. Problem solved.
I'll just need to be careful when purchasing a dvd player to make sure component and composite jacks are available.
I'm not an engineer, but why would you design a receiver with hdmi when you can't use it properly?
I haven't the foggiest but i have run into these lower end models that do that but its something a lot of people are not aware about it either until they take it home hook it up and wonder why the only audio is coming out of their tv or their find out too late and can't return it.