Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2009, 09:46 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It seems like Angstrom doesn't list MSRP or anything like that on their website for those speakers. Those Modular 2s are mighty tempting to say the least, but I fear for the safety of my wallet. They also don't mention outright what the maximum input power on the speakers are, so I don't know whether I would be able to use them with, say, an Onkyo TX-8555.

I imagine I'll be a little less concerned with the prices on some of this audio gear once I forget how much I'm spending on this new computer

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old September 15, 2009, 12:25 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by steers View Post
While we're on the topic of speakers, I've heard good things about Paradigm (another Canadian brand). I've been fancying myself a pair of their Titan Monitors, but I don't really know how they stack up against similarly priced monitors (they're $600/pair). My dad has always bought Paradigm in the past, and as such that's what comprises the entirety of the speakers in my parents' home theatre. They sound great for movies and games, but a 5.1 setup is suboptimal for most music imo. Anyone else have any experience with Paradigm's wares, more specifically their new stuff?

Ive got 3 sets of Paradigm now and love all of them, I went with the Atom monitors on a 2.1 TEAC 100x2 AMP with an 8" polk PSW 111, amazing 2.1 setup for the PC been very very happy, gave the wife the pro media 2.1 :)
QNAP TS-209II 2x1TB Raid 1 NAS
heat: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=244

Old September 15, 2009, 12:55 PM

My System Specs

ahahahahaha Emofest 2009

Really could they have picked a worse name? I have my doubts.
Old September 15, 2009, 01:45 PM
Allstar

I agree about the name but it's in reference to Emote, not emo :)

Steers, the Modular 2's are going for $650. If you want any other prices on the Modular 2 line including subs let me know. I have the pricing from a shop in Toronto that I stumbled on. Also, don't be afraid to give them a call. Their number is 905-294-9383. I was dealing with Mark who is the national sales manager. They might even have some B-stock which would be cheaper. As for power handling I wouldn't worry about it at all. In their listening room they have a ton of MacIntosh amps pushing their speakers.

lowfat...you have your doubts about the name or their products? If you have doubts about the products, well I had the same ones. I tend to research the hell out of stuff and couldn't find anything bad about them. To the contrary actually. Anyways, not sure if a login is required to see posts but if not check out this thread to see the specs on the UPA-7.

The Emotiva Lounge - UPA-7 Specs

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N

Last edited by Nodscene; September 15, 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old September 15, 2009, 02:54 PM

My System Specs

No just doubts about the name of the festival. Actually The UPA-7 looks great. Especially the price. I was looking at the Outlaw 7075 at first but the UPA-7 looks like a much better buy. I've been wanting to ditch my receiver altogether and just go w/ an amplifier for my HTPC. The UPA-7 might very well be my next home theatre purchase.
Old September 15, 2009, 03:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

to put it very simply it has allot to do with what they are being used for what type of room are they going to be in, what I mean by room is what type of walls insulation things like that how load do you plan on having your music also what type of music if you need a sub woofer or not . years ago ( back in the early 80s) I converted a garage into a personal suit for myself and I insulated the walls and put my stereo speakers right into the walls of course this took quite a while because I read up on everything about speakers that I could find in the public libraries. one this that I did also was I bought my speakers without any boxes and in on of the rear walls I bolted two 15" ( with a good seal) together and then wired them for push pull so i didn't need a subwoofer as the walls where giving me enough sound. all together I had maybe ten speakers the largest being 8" ( excluding the two 15" push pulls) my stereo was only about 400 watts which isn't very much but I have to tell you that no matter what kind of music I played it sounded great. the guy that live in the house had a top of the line stereo system with four spectrum speaker ( back then they were top of the line) and he liked the way my system sounded better then his system. so basically it all depends on what you want to do.
Old September 15, 2009, 04:36 PM
Allstar

lowfat, the only problem is the shipping, duty, taxes and exchange rate. I believe in total it cost me upwards of $900 Can give or take. I still think it's more than worth it though. Once they release the UMC-1 Processor (about $1000-$1100 CAN) then I will be set for a long time. I believe this combination will blow anything away in that price range. Another bonus about the company is that you can upgrade the processor to a newer generation (whenever that will be) and get %40 off!.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old September 15, 2009, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereck View Post
Is a HTIB the best for classical music? Should I go with that?
I don't listen to classical but from what I've read classical is very demanding especially if you listen to stuff with pipe organ. A HTIB is about as far away from where you want to be as you can get.

If you have the skills and tools to build a box out of MDF consider making your own. It's impossible to match store bought in the sub $100 level but once you get to the few hundred $ mark you'll be farther ahead and the higher you go it starts to pay off in spades. You won't have to design them, just build a published and proven design from blue-prints. This hobby draws a pretty good parallel, It's hard to beat say TD on a budget computer on sale just to get a functional unit but if you're looking beyond that what's going to work better a prebuilt from TD or MDG or a rig built to spec suggested by some experienced members here?

BTW you should put your location in since there may be members close to you that can help! If you want to persue this than let me know. Sorry I couldn't help with retail solutions.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old September 15, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

::ADAM::Professional Audio::
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old September 15, 2009, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

this really makes me want to spend money on decent speakers and an amp.. sigh, too bad its quite expensive