Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
Rookie

Default x-fi and vista?

Hey guys im new here, building a new box for gaming and just wondering if creative and vista get along yet? or should i stick with the realtek's onboard, or stick with my audigy 2.

opinions are appreciated.
Old August 16, 2007, 06:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Creative + Vista = various problems. Audigy 2 is worse than X-Fi support right now I believe. My X-Fi works decently in Vista x64 though.

I wouldn't buy an X-Fi to use in Vista though.

Probably best to go with onboard for now, until something new comes out which is better such as Auzentech Prelude or ASUS Sonar. I think those are out now actually.
Old August 16, 2007, 07:08 PM
Rookie

do you figure the onboard is better the my audigy 2?

im going vista x64, 4gbs of ram :D

i plan to post pics of the build and oc speeds in a few weeks once i get it all together.
Old August 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If you pop over to Creative's fourms, you'll find a ton of people with every single possible problem while using 4GB of RAM. Then you'll find other people with no issues at all. It's really all chance and luck.

On-board won't sound better, but it most likely will work better. Vista does away with DirectSound so theres no more EAX making Creative's stuff kinda useless unless you use their Alchemy program which converts EAX into OpenAL. BTW you must purchase that if you own an Audigy, but it's free for X-Fi users.

I would build the system, try on-board. If you can live with it, then do so. If not, try your Audigy 2. If that doesn't work, then get a X-Fi.