Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 1, 2009, 06:36 AM
Top Prospect

Default Sound works through HDMI on TV, none through Speakers

Last night when I set up my computer I hooked up the video through HDMI to my TV. The sound worked fine coming through the TV but no sound came through the set of Logitech speakers I also had connected. In the audio settings both the ATI to HDMI sound and the Realtek onboard sound were shown as 'working' yet sound only came through the TV.
I'd like to get the sound working through both the TV and the speakers at the same time but I am unsure on how to configure it to use both.
I am running Vista, HIS Radeon 4850 with DVI-HDMI adapter, Realtek onboard sound card with Logitech X530(pretty sure on model) speakers.
Old September 1, 2009, 06:39 AM
MVP
F@H

Most likely you'd need another sound card to do so unless your television also has audio-out in which case that may be possible. There should be an option to select which connection (via software on your PC which would be better to ask one of the sound guys about) the sound will be sent on. Most sound cards will only provide sound to a singular source however.
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Thermaltake Armor
Corsair TX850W
Mushkin HP3 2x2GB DDR3
Samsung SATA DVD-RW

MSI GeForce GTX 275 Twin Frozr
Old September 1, 2009, 06:45 AM
Top Prospect

The TV is only hooked up through HDMI, I didn't even realize until last night that the TV outputs the sound, I guess the video card can somehow transmit sound as well. The only thing plugged into the actual sound card is the speakers.
Old September 1, 2009, 06:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

ATI video cards can output sound, but you can disable it in CCC. Plus, you can get a performance jump b/c the video card is not doing two things at once: outputing the sound and the video.
Your lucky that it will transfer sound b/c NVIDIA video cards require a cumbersome step to do that.

-Plato
Old September 1, 2009, 07:04 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

With the ATI audio driver, you can't use two sound outputs at the same time.
Old September 1, 2009, 07:21 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys, I'll disable the ATI audio driver when I get home and see how it goes.
Old September 1, 2009, 08:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I can get audio from both Realtek HD onboard and a HD3450 via HDMI, though only for media playback by using KMPlayer. It has an option to output to 2 audio devices.

Otherwise you're stuck with only sound coming out of the default device, which is fairly easily changed in Vista/7.