Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 30, 2009, 09:59 PM
Top Prospect

Default 3.5mm extension cable: Does quality matter?

I'm looking for a 3.5mm M/F stereo extension cable for use with my M Audio Q40's so I don't have to reach around behind my case to plug them in. I was just wondering how much cable quality differs and how much that would affect what gets sent to the headphones. The Q40's have a really thick cable, and I wasn't sure if getting a cable as thick as your average pair of earbud wires would diminish quality.

Anyone know how much quality can be affected and where I might be able to get a better cable if recommended (Live in Edmonton area).

Thanks a lot!
Old August 30, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

If the shielding isn't very good, it might be able to pick up computer noise, but that shouldn't really register on the headphone end of things.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:17 PM

My System Specs

You will find people who swear thousand dollar cables will help, but i have my doubts. Buy any shielded cable and i think you'll be fine. Look @ monoprice.com. Chances are you'll find the cable cheaper there w/ shipping than you'd find it locally.

And nice to see another Q40 user

I use the extension/jack that is built in to my keyboard, and I can't tell any difference between plugging them in to the soundcard directly or the keyboard
Old August 30, 2009, 10:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

All I'd say is avoid those Dollar Store brand cables, otherwise should be alright.

If you want lossless though, I'd say get an extension that's the same AWG as your headphone's wire, but I doubt you'd notice a difference anyways unless you're getting a really long extension.
Old August 30, 2009, 10:23 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks guys!
My front ports pick up a lot of static for whatever reason, and my sound card has an amplified jack that I use, which is another reason I wanted to make sure I had a good cable
Old August 30, 2009, 10:29 PM
Top Prospect

I think this is what I'm looking for: For only $1.34 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 3FT 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female 22AWG Extension Cable - Gold Plated | 3.5mm Audio M/F Extension Cables
Shielded, gold plated, 22AWG for lower resistance, $1.60 for a 3 foot cable.
Old August 30, 2009, 11:17 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
I think this is what I'm looking for: For only $1.34 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 3FT 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female 22AWG Extension Cable - Gold Plated | 3.5mm Audio M/F Extension Cables
Shielded, gold plated, 22AWG for lower resistance, $1.60 for a 3 foot cable.
should be fine