Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 12, 2009, 07:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default help an audio noob out

hello all.while i consider my self a knowledgable computer user,i am needing some advice on my options in regards to getting a 5.1 receiver and sub for my computer sound system.
i have had the last 2 years the klipsch promedia ultra 5.1 system.
over a month ago the bash amp died and i am getting the runaround from hitek here in saskatoon,in regards to getting it fixed.

to hell with this and i want an upgrade,just trying to spend $400-500 on a receiver and sub,i already have jamo speakers
soundcard is an auzentech xfi prelude-that remains
i just want a reliable system to game with in 5.1 and play music
this is the receiver
Visions Electronics | Home Audio

and this is the sub-which i plan on holding off buying till it is on sale again

in looking at the manual with the soundcard it shows that i need 2 optical cables for input and output-is that correct?
i welcome any advice or input on this setup before i go out and purchase these items.
thanks

Last edited by jtf2; August 13, 2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old August 13, 2009, 01:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Those look like 2 decent components. I'm a bit of a noob myself when it comes to audio. I'm waiting for delivery of an optical cable (toslink) to connect my soundcard to my receiver/amp. I'm sure the audio gurus will try to answer soon.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old August 13, 2009, 02:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, it depends on what you're doing with your audio source.

Basically, you can use your prelude to bit stream data without processing it whatsoever the moment when you output data to receiver. This means that you would do no decoding with the sound card. What will happen then is that your receiver will handle all the decoding and upmixing and whatnot, while the S/PDIF input means that you are going to stream data to the sound card for one reason or another.

In the example of watching Blu-Ray from computer, what prelude can do is that, with an internal S/PDIF connector, it will take the input from the Blu-Ray drive and stream it straight out to the receiver, which is highly desired by audiophile since they deem computer too noisy an environment to do good decoding.

The S/PDIF input though would be more useful to connect the Prelude to a PS3 and then have the Prelude handle the decoding, and spew the output over its analog lines that you would use with typical multimedia speakers. You could've simply connect the PS3 straight to the receiver instead of going through the sound card, even if there would be perfect streaming of data at any rate.
Old August 13, 2009, 04:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks for the info panzer.
i have no ps3 atm,so it will be like i said strictly for gaming and music.
Old August 13, 2009, 08:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Since you'll have a receiver, you only need 1 optical cable from the sound card to the receiver. Any other devices you'd plug into the receiver, not the input on your sound card.

Sony recievers are not very good though, and I'm sure once the audiophile-type people post here, they'll say the same thing. They told me not to, so I don't see why the wouldn't tell you too

I ended up with a Yamaha HTR-6140B (I think, not 100% sure), and it was like $300 at Future Shop? And I got a down-firing 10" subwoofer (Boston Acoustics CS10) for $350. Paired it up with my previous HTIB speakers, and Polk Center, and it sounded light years better. I still have plans to replace all the speakers though.

I listened to front-firing subwoofers in store too and they didn't seem to have as much punch as the down-firing one I got. Though it cost more money, I think it was worth it. My CS10 gives you that bone chilling bass if you have it turned up loud And it shakes the whole floor/couch and all.
Old August 13, 2009, 01:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

thanks for that reply.
is onkyo then a little better sound quality wise in your opinion?.
i can get a deal at london drugs,on a demo model,regular 499 for 265
Onkyo TX-SR505 - 7.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products
it is an older model,but again for my use could work fine.
your suggested components look great,but a little pricey for me anyway.
i really need to keep this within my budget
Old August 13, 2009, 06:13 PM
MVP
F@H

My Klipsch pc audio system got borked by a lightning strike. Twice.
Old August 13, 2009, 06:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepSix View Post
My Klipsch pc audio system got borked by a lightning strike. Twice.
the klipsch setup does kick ass for sure-when working.where did you get yours fixed?
i debated just sending the bash amp down to elliot-tronics in texas,but shipping both ways and the repair would run me about 180
Old August 13, 2009, 06:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Sony = BARF!

Good sub and much better than that Polk Audio

I have a older version of this and lemme tell you for a 10 it'll rattle my suite.
Old August 13, 2009, 07:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Sony = BARF!

Good sub and much better than that Polk Audio

I have a older version of this and lemme tell you for a 10 it'll rattle my suite.
all opinions welcomed.i was waiting for the no-sony reply and thats good.
i was looking at that soundstage sub,but the 8" model.
so please what about that older model onkyo receiver i linked to-yay or nay/