Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 7, 2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

Default Looking to replace Audio Op Amp on AuzenTech X-RAIDER (UPDATE)

Ok I am going to swap the Audio Op Amp on a AuzenTech X-RAIDER and I am wondering what to be looking for in an Audio Op Amp. I know how to change them I just dont know what to be looking for in a upgrade from the ones that come stock on the card.
Thanks

Last edited by Gameplaywarrior; August 14, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old August 7, 2009, 12:02 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The first thing you should do is get the number of the op-amp that's currently on the board and look up its datasheet. That way you will have all of the specifications, and you can then decide if you want a beefier one to handle higher loads, or one with a larger slew rate (voltage rise rate, usually in V/Ás). You will also be able to match up things like the differential input voltage level, since you don't really want to get one that won't cover the voltage input range, or you'll start to clip the signal.

But definitely have a look at the datasheet, and compare it to other audio op amp datasheets first.

-Steve
Old August 7, 2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

I am looking for sound quality and volume what speficis should I look at when picking my new Audio Op Amp also what do you mean by slew rate. I really have no clue when it comes to audio lingo or stats.
Old August 7, 2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

I found the data sheet for the chips that come on the X-RAIDER the link to which is located below. I have no clue what it all means tho, so now can some one sugest a good upgrate for it thanks.

http://datasheet.digchip.com/477/477...-0-NE5532A.pdf
Old August 7, 2009, 04:12 PM
Banned

here are the data sheets for the other 3X chips I was looking at again I dont know if thay are the same beter or worst. Help would be apreachated in any way shape or form.

http://datasheet.digchip.com/477/477...0-OPA637AM.pdf

http://datasheet.digchip.com/477/477...07-THS3062.pdf

http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM4562.pdf

http://datasheet.digchip.com/477/477...0-OPA2132P.pdf
Old August 7, 2009, 04:18 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Crap, don't have a PDF viewer installed under Vista... /curse you seldom used OS
Old August 7, 2009, 05:03 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Crap, don't have a PDF viewer installed under Vista... /curse you seldom used OS
Foxit Reader FTW.
Old August 7, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ugh, those sheets make my eyes water. But I'm pretty sure they're all safe to swap in, although some of the THS3062 specs kind of make it look like it was originally meant for something other than audio usage. In the case of the 627/637 and the THS3062, they're single-channel units, so you'll need to make up an adapter before you can put them in the card socket, or possibly buy them pre-made from Auzentech in the case of the former.

I couldn't speak soundwise, as I've never heard the 5532A. I can vouch for both the 4562 and the 637 personally, but I couldn't say how much they differ from what you've got now.
Old August 7, 2009, 05:20 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

There might be a slight problem with just replacing the amplifier on the board; you don't really know what kind of compensation circuitry that the company included on the board to account for the shortcomings of the current amp. Also, after thinking about it further, if you want increased power from the board, you really would need higher voltage rails, since you're really not going to be able to source more current through your speakers (constant resistance ... presumably). There might be some slight modulation being applied inadvertently by the amp which could possibly be improved by replacing it, but realistically you might not even hear any difference in sound at all, or it will be very slight in very specific circumstances.

The other thing you have to think about is what you want to hear, the way it was recorded (presumably) or what sounds the best, since what sounds the best could potentially be the result of some distortion (think of the old tube amplifiers and you'll get my point). I hate to rain on your parade, but your best bet is to get some better speakers or a better secondary amplifer.

-Steve
Old August 7, 2009, 07:04 PM
Banned

Well I would like to try and replace them and if it dont work it's my excuse to get a new sound card.Anyway does anyone know a Cadadian retailer/wholesaler where I can get my hands on some 4562's. Thanks