Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2009, 02:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Receiver Audio Balance

Hi guys

I've recently inherited an old receiver (70's and I believe I was told it was all metal or something like that). I also got a set of Bose speakers with it. I know some people here don't like Bose but hey, free is free.

Anyway, now to the problem. The previous owner had set the speakers up so that 1 speaker was much further away from the receiver, and I now have a much longer speaker cable. Now the left speaker was using the shorter speaker cable, and the right speaker was using the much longer one. When I hooked them up, they played at the same volume at first. Now when I play music, I can only hear sound coming from the left speaker, and barely anything from the right. Even with the balance knob, I can't get the right speaker near the same volume as the left.

Need help, would cutting the wire to the right speaker increase the volume at all?

Edit: Wow that was fast. While I was fiddling with it, there was a slight pop and now the speakers are equal volume again... Could it be that the receiver was warming up and had not warmed up both channels equally? :S I really don't know too much about this stuff and my friend who is very knowledgeable in this area is off on vacation :(

Old July 20, 2009, 02:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It could help, though unless we're talking about an insane length of cable difference i dont think it should make a difference. It could be one speaker is going, it could be you may need to go into more settings if you have them, or you may need to tweak your audio source
Old July 20, 2009, 02:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Probably dust in the volume pot. Try taking off the knob, and blow some compressed-air through it..do the balance knob and all others(Treble, Bass, etc)..while you're at it. My Dad used to spray them with Carbon-Tet..not sure exactly what it is...but it lubes them and it worked(especially at eliminated the crackling)...probably isn't very popular anymore. GL

Last edited by 1Tanker; July 20, 2009 at 04:19 PM.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Well right now I have my receiver connected to a SuperCD Player and my computer. All I can do is connect it via 3.5mm to RCA because the receiver does not support any digital. :P It's quite old.

How would I go about taking the knobs off exactly? I'm not sure what I did but the audio is the same volume again.

Also, I was wondering if was advisable to leave my receiver running 24/7 since it takes a little while for it to warm up and even produce sound if I have it off all night.

Old July 20, 2009, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's a tube amplifier. They take time to warm up, which was probably why you had the initial problem. And no, I wouldn't leave it on 24/7, the tubes can burn out eventually like a light bulb.
Old July 20, 2009, 02:57 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
It's a tube amplifier. They take time to warm up, which was probably why you had the initial problem. And no, I wouldn't leave it on 24/7, the tubes can burn out eventually like a light bulb.
+1, tube replacement can turn into being a major pain in the ass
Old July 20, 2009, 08:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd say consider buying a new receiver when you have the cash or if you see a good sale.
Old July 20, 2009, 09:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'd say consider buying a new receiver when you have the cash or if you see a good sale.
If it's a decent receiver...i would keep it. Tube amps have a really warm sound that's hard to beat...though they tend to not put out much wattage.
Old July 23, 2009, 07:15 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Actually, I just found out the receiver is actually solid state. I've tried letting it warm up for 45minutes, and when I start to play music, one speaker plays and the other is extremely quiet. The speaker that plays music also produces a hissing noise. Could it be a poor RCA to 3.5mm connection?

Old July 23, 2009, 07:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtispan View Post
Actually, I just found out the receiver is actually solid state. I've tried letting it warm up for 45minutes, and when I start to play music, one speaker plays and the other is extremely quiet. The speaker that plays music also produces a hissing noise. Could it be a poor RCA to 3.5mm connection?
Switch speaker wires..if the hiss moves to the other side... then it's the speaker...if it stays on the same channel...it's the receiver. GL