Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2009, 06:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPepper View Post
Razers are simply not good in headphones, they are just a gaming company-not an audio company. Try out Sennheiser or Creative Labs.
Senhnheiser HD 228
If you extend your budget you could get something from a good company, like Bose, Grato, or AKG.
Creative isn't an audio company, even if they bought UE. Most of their headphones were meh at best. Nothing stood out.

Good companies would consist of GRADO, AKG, Audio Technica, and Sennheiser. Bose isn't something I recommend to consumers. I've worked with their professional line before, and they were alright. However their consumer lines are overpriced.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old July 27, 2009, 12:29 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I haven't looked up any reviews on it, but I found this new headset from Alienware:

PC Gaming Computer Peripherals, Accessories, PC Games and More

I kind of have this mindset that anything from Alienware must be good quality but this is their first audio anything so I'm skeptical on it.
Old July 27, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquattingDawg View Post
I haven't looked up any reviews on it, but I found this new headset from Alienware:

PC Gaming Computer Peripherals, Accessories, PC Games and More

I kind of have this mindset that anything from Alienware must be good quality but this is their first audio anything so I'm skeptical on it.
YOU CHANGE THAT THOUGHT RIGHT NOW!

But seriously, their stuff is crap for the huge price you pay for. Linus from NCIX said that the Razer Cacharias is a nice headset for the money. Here's his review...

YouTube - Razer Mamba & Carcharias First Look (NCIX Tech Tips #38)
Old July 27, 2009, 07:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 for Sennheiser; I'd go with the PC161's for you $100 price range. But if your looking for just headphones that have no mic, you can't beat AKG's in my book. I have 2 set's, and even the portable set I use gets borrowed all the time by people at work on their breaks to listen to music. Everyone that hears them is absolutely floored at their quality. They carry great, full sound; and you can hear every detail in the music with incredible clarity! You can check prices at pricegrabber or stereotype.

*edit* if you have a decent music or sound store in your area, they can usually order them in a bit cheaper.
Old July 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by acameron56 View Post
I would actually recommend the Audio-technica ad700/a700's. The ad is open back while the a is closed. If you look around I'm sure you can find a pair for >100...like at amazon.com. I've also heard the JVC HARX 700/900 are very good, again the discrepency is that the 700 are open backed and the 900's are semi-open. and if you need a mic you can pick up the zalman clip on for around $5.
The Audio-Technica and JVC headphones he listed are actually very good. I've seen lots of people actually go further to comment that the JVC is the poor man's Audio Technica..

Sony MDR-V6/7506, the only difference between the two is the 7506 has a gold plated connector, while the V6 doesn't. But the V6 is a very good headphone, I personally own a 7506 since I couldn't find V6, it does take time to kick in, but the base and sound, balanced, very nice..

Some AkG headphones are pretty good, geez I can't seem to remember which ones.. Off the top of my head, I think it's the K81 DJ.. K181s.. aah man sorry, I'll have to do my research again..

Don't waste your time on those Siberia, Alienware, I found those Dr.Dre (I think that's the name lol), are rip-offs, way too overpriced, imo I rather spend $200+ dollars on some Grado phones, that would money very well spend.. Talking on Grados phones, if you can find them in Canada for descent prices, SR-60/80 are one of the best cans on the marker, or in the world..

Hope this helps..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old July 27, 2009, 01:33 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Gameplaywarrior, ddi you ever get a headset? how do you like it? I saw you were taking the plunge on the razers.