Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 02:46 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Windows 7 Sound Mainly from Main Speakers. Surround is dead

I'm getting most of my sound out from just the front two speakers. My surround speakers are completely dead and enabling speaker fill does virtually nothing. Many people have this problem as well and there seems to be no fix for this problem. This basically makes my 4 speaker system useless. Even if speaker fill does work, all I get from the two surround speakers are low bit-rate, distorted music. Everything was fine when I was using Windows XP. I would get good sound from my surround speakers.

Lots of people are getting a similar problem as well with little to no solution. Creative users seems to have this problem "fixed" thanks to Daniel_K. I tried them out yesterday to see if they'd work but they don't work with my Realtek ALC888.

Oh they say the surround speakers are supposed to fine in games, but I don't know about that because I haven't played any games lately. Summer school doesn't help either.

windows 7 surround sound - Google Search
Old July 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
I'm getting most of my sound out from just the front two speakers. My surround speakers are completely dead and enabling speaker fill does virtually nothing. Many people have this problem as well and there seems to be no fix for this problem. This basically makes my 4 speaker system useless. Even if speaker fill does work, all I get from the two surround speakers are low bit-rate, distorted music. Everything was fine when I was using Windows XP. I would get good sound from my surround speakers.

Lots of people are getting a similar problem as well with little to no solution. Creative users seems to have this problem "fixed" thanks to Daniel_K. I tried them out yesterday to see if they'd work but they don't work with my Realtek ALC888.

Oh they say the surround speakers are supposed to fine in games, but I don't know about that because I haven't played any games lately. Summer school doesn't help either.

windows 7 surround sound - Google Search
Windows Vista and 7 have removed all DirectSound calls and rely on other means for audio which basically means unless the audio is encoded in 5.1 you usually don't get surround.

Suggestion is to play a dvd movie and see if you get surround.
Old July 8, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Windows Vista and 7 have removed all DirectSound calls and rely on other means for audio which basically means unless the audio is encoded in 5.1 you usually don't get surround.

Suggestion is to play a dvd movie and see if you get surround.
Really?! Cus my friend has Windows Vista and has the Logitech Z5500 with Realtek ALC889 onboard sound. He gets sound from all his speakers even when he plays stereo content. Is there a way to force the surround sound to work then?
Old July 8, 2009, 03:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Really?! Cus my friend has Windows Vista and has the Logitech Z5500 with Realtek ALC889 onboard sound. He gets sound from all his speakers even when he plays stereo content. Is there a way to force the surround sound to work then?
Depends on the sound card being used.

Some work with the "audio fill" option perhaps others don't.

Its another reason I don't like Vista/7 due to the audio stack implemented.
Old July 8, 2009, 04:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Have you tried fiddling around with the settings, myself i dont worry about it because i just let my receiver do all the audio processing and leave Windows to just send the optical signal
Old July 8, 2009, 05:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I GOT MY SOUND BACK ON MY SURROUND SPEAKERS! NO IT'S NOT BAD QUALITY SOUND! IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD QUALITY SOUND THAT I USED TO GET IN WINDOWS XP! YES!

For those who are using Realtek HD Audio and want to get surround sound when playing music and what not, do this. First download RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting, then install that. Then download RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting and install that. Don't forget to restart the computer when prompted to. Once you do that, go into the Realtek HD Audio Manager and change your speaker setup from Stereo to whatever you have. Then run Creative Audio Console. Go to X-Fi CMSS 3D, click X-Fi CMSS3D Surround, in the Upmix Mode select Stereo Surround. Voila! If you want to change your other settings, run Creative Console Launcher. There you can change your equalizer settings and stuff. I changed mine to Rock. You change the X-Fi Crystalizer as well, but I have no idea what that does. I can't detect any change in sound when I change that so I left it alone for now.

Keep in mind that the Creative Audio Console and Creative Console Launcher has a 30 day trial. I'm going to be asking Daniel_K what happens after that trial expires. His blog is at: Daniel_K

MANY THANKS DANIEL_K! HE'S DONE IT AGAIN!
Old August 6, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Great....the X-FI MB expired and Creative wants us to shell out $30 so I can get surround sound again.

HELP!
Old August 7, 2009, 09:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Great....the X-FI MB expired and Creative wants us to shell out $30 so I can get surround sound again.

HELP!
I think anything to solve that would be illegal...

Best bet would be to buy a sound card which has the features you want.

However, if you install the latest Realtek driver from their site, doesn't it support the Speaker Fill function? Should have the same effect.
Old August 7, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I think anything to solve that would be illegal...

Best bet would be to buy a sound card which has the features you want.

However, if you install the latest Realtek driver from their site, doesn't it support the Speaker Fill function? Should have the same effect.
Speaker fill is utterly useless. It creates distorted sound.

I found a fix for this. I found it out randomly and by random, I mean RANDOM.

- Download the modded Realtek X-Fi drivers: Realtek R2.16 X-Fi mod driver - techPowerUp! Forums
- Uninstall old ones and install new ones, following the steps in the setup windows, such as restarting your computer. Use Driver Cleaner if you wish
- Unplug your surround speaker wire from subwoofer or wherever your audio cables connect from your computer to your audio setup (which in my case, was the subwoofer)
- Open Realtek HD Audio Manager and choose your speaker settings
- LEAVE your surround cable unplugged and play your music. You should get great music from ALL speakers

That's basically what I did. Such a random fix.
Old August 7, 2009, 12:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

That doesn't seem like the best solution. I'm guessing now you're using the speakers' built in upmixing functionality. That means you'll never have proper rear surround audio in 5.1 audio.

Could be mistaken though...