Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 07:01 AM
Rookie

Default Questions about optical

Hey guys,

I'm a bit of an audio n00b so please excuse my simple questions :).

I just bought an HT Omega Striker along with the Logitech Z-5500 speaker set and am very pleased with the sound coming out of it (games, music, movies)! I plugged it into my computer using the three coloured plugs (is this analog? Told you I was a n00b!).

So my question involved the nifty optical cable that came with the HT Omega Striker card. When I plug it into HT Stiker and the speakers, the speakers tell me that there is no digital input detected. If I try playing music or sounds while only the optical cable is plugged in (while unplugging the analog), nothing comes out of the speakers!

I read from various places that digital is the superior choice. But does it only work for blu ray movies? Does it work for games? Should I bother trying to figure this out if analog works fine?

Thanks!
Old July 8, 2009, 07:05 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

To answer your first question, yes the three jacks are analog audio.
For the second part, your Omega may need to have digital audio enabled (it may have been disabled by default?) Check your settings and get back to us.

PS: Welcome! To the World of Tomorrow (today)! aka... Hardwarecanucks.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:08 AM
Rookie

Hey wow, thanks for the quick reply!
I'm not really sure where I can check that, so I'll do a bit of searching.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:09 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Someone that actually has the card can probably help you more than I. But there's probably a system tray icon (bottom right) for the sound card and it should have a settings/options menu.
Old July 8, 2009, 07:38 AM
Rookie

Hmm... I think I found what I'm looking for: HT Omega
I'll check it out as soon as I get home from work! Thanks for your help CMetaphor ;)

Let you know if it works!
Old July 8, 2009, 07:40 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

There you go, that looks like it. Good luck!
Old July 8, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the card. Go to the Speaker volume beside the Time and right click. Select "SOUNDS". Afterwards go to the Playback Tab and there should be Digital Output.

-Plato
Old July 8, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Sliver View Post
Hey guys,

I'm a bit of an audio n00b so please excuse my simple questions :).

I just bought an HT Omega Striker along with the Logitech Z-5500 speaker set and am very pleased with the sound coming out of it (games, music, movies)! I plugged it into my computer using the three coloured plugs (is this analog? Told you I was a n00b!).

So my question involved the nifty optical cable that came with the HT Omega Striker card. When I plug it into HT Stiker and the speakers, the speakers tell me that there is no digital input detected. If I try playing music or sounds while only the optical cable is plugged in (while unplugging the analog), nothing comes out of the speakers!

I read from various places that digital is the superior choice. But does it only work for blu ray movies? Does it work for games? Should I bother trying to figure this out if analog works fine?

Thanks!
You are better off using analog over digital as digital relies on the DAC of the source ouputted to to decode the sound and I'd have to say the soundcard probably has a better dac than the z5500s
Old July 8, 2009, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm running one of the cards under XP and the only thing I can suggest is to play with the different available digital formats depending on what you're doing with the signal.

I prefer using the DTS Interactive setting as it's unaffected by the software sound processing (same signal no matter what is selected) and I'd prefer to do any sound processing in the amp I'm sending the signal to. OTOH, that setting disables the analog speaker jacks so it's only good while I'm actually using the amp. The other digital signals allow for analog out to function, but are affected by the software sound processing.

Aside from that.... it's worth trying the digital signal signal to compare with the sound you're currently getting with the analog signal, but I suspect enaberif is correct that you'd get a better signal with the analog. (don't forget to play with the sound processing settings under analog while you're in the control software to see if it improves the sound).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 9, 2009, 05:51 AM
Rookie

So I got it working!

I'm playing with the sound settings to see what sounds best. DTS you said?
HT Omega also has a whole equalizer to play around with too. I've got a whole lot of experimenting to do!