Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2007, 08:51 AM
Top Prospect

Default Dead ALC655?

Hi,

(My graphics station at home)

XP and Linux Ubuntu can't find the audio device anymore since I had a run-in with changing my PSU. I had to exchange the new PSU twice, then decided I might as well go for a quiet Antec case with PSU upon that second exchange. An awesome upgrade in the end.

So, I suspect it's dead. However, I hear faint squeaks from my headphones plugged in the front port of the new case when I move the mouse.

Bios/driver upgrade made no difference (MSI PM8MV-3). Boot up shows no errors, CMOS reset does nothing, back sound ports with jumpers in place useless.

Any way of testing it out ? Physically, it looks sound (pun!).

I'm not looking to exchange the mobo, just to confirm if the ALC is dead or not, then take action and buy a card, or leave it. Don't really need sound on it anyway.
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 @1600 MHz
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old July 19, 2007, 12:28 PM
Allstar

Well if it is enabled in the BIOS, Shows up in the device manager as working correctly and is setup correctly and you still have no sound with headphones or speakers plugged into the right jacks I would say it has gave up the ghost.
You can double check again if you like. Look at the bright side now you have a reason to get a new soundcard. Perhaps a Prelude or a Xonar?

Just verify you have the jumpers set correctly and you have it set as default device in the audio panels. Use the green jack and set it for two channel.
make sure you have decent volume levels and it is not muted. Try and play some music or something else that will show if you have sound. If after all that you have no sound...well you know what to do.
Old July 19, 2007, 01:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Since the major change you made was to the case I'd look very closely at how your front panel connections are done.

I've seen a couple of boards I thought had dead sound only to find that I needed to have a jumper to enable the rear plugs, or that the front panel audio had mucked things up.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 19, 2007, 04:22 PM
Allstar

likewise, I have seen people knock the jumpers out of place before. Check them over.
Old July 19, 2007, 08:05 PM
Top Prospect

There is no audio device in the device manager. Does not show up at all.

Well, I'm stumped. I did put the jumpers as per the manual. Though I might check if there's an update on the manual online.

Nevertheless, AC97 plugging is a standard I see, with the wire leading to the front having both AC97 and ... I forget the other standard (HDsomething I think). Unless the mobo's design was f'd up... who knows. Which would mean the wiring for the front could not work unless I play around with it.

Truth be said, a sound card upgrade sounds also nice. And the easiest solution too! I'm still debating that one though. That would have me shuffle a lot of hardware around between my two machines. It's a drivers' updating headache every time...

The relative stability of the two setups right now is bliss.
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old July 19, 2007, 08:25 PM
Top Prospect

Gosh, where in Canada would one get an Asus Xonar or an Auzen Prelude ? Mind you I'm quite intrigued by Sondigo's Inferno on NCIX. Hey ! It just dropped 15$ !

It's getting some good reviews all over... and it's a Vancouver BC product !
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old July 20, 2007, 07:41 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post

Well, I'm stumped. I did put the jumpers as per the manual. Though I might check if there's an update on the manual online.

Nevertheless, AC97 plugging is a standard I see, with the wire leading to the front having both AC97 and ... I forget the other standard (HDsomething I think). Unless the mobo's design was f'd up... who knows. Which would mean the wiring for the front could not work unless I play around with it.

Truth be said, a sound card upgrade sounds also nice. And the easiest solution too! I'm still debating that one though. That would have me shuffle a lot of hardware around between my two machines. It's a drivers' updating headache every time...

The relative stability of the two setups right now is bliss.

Is this onboard audio device ENABLED in the BIOS? It doesn't seem like it.
when you look in device manager is there any "!" or "?" anywhere?
Old July 20, 2007, 08:37 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Is this onboard audio device ENABLED in the BIOS? It doesn't seem like it.
when you look in device manager is there any "!" or "?" anywhere?
Nope, nothing at all shows in the device manager, just Audio with nothing beside it. Only the codecs show. No warnings anywhere. And indeed, in the BIOS, AC97 is enabled.
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit
Old July 20, 2007, 11:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDriver View Post

Nevertheless, AC97 plugging is a standard I see, with the wire leading to the front having both AC97 and ... I forget the other standard (HDsomething I think). Unless the mobo's design was f'd up... who knows.
This is probably obvious, but modern cases have both AC'97 and HD-audio connectors. If I'm reading the MSI webpage correctly, your mobo only supports AC'97, so you'll have to use that connector, not the HD-audio one.

On the other hand, if it shows up in the BIOS, but not in XP, the problem is probably deeper than that. You could try deleting all audio-related devices from device manager, and seeing if XP will re-recognize it. Also check that you're running the latest BIOS, of course.

Since the AC'97 is integrated in the VT8237R (southbridge), if it was a chip failure it likely would affect more than the audio.
Old July 23, 2007, 11:31 AM
Top Prospect

Good point SenorBlanco. I should try that.

The case design is good enough they labeled the connector AC97, and HD as well for the other. So, no mistake there.
WD Caviar Green 500GB
Windows 7 64bit