Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Creative X-fi intergrated card?? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/19395-creative-x-fi-intergrated-card.html)

vic June 28, 2009 10:58 PM

Creative X-fi intergrated card??

I just bought the gateway fx 6800-03 refurb. The box it came in said it had the creative xfi gamer, but when I check the device manager it only shows Realtek high definition audio. There is a creative x-fi volume panel in the desktop. Is it possible that only the software is installed without the hardware?
I am a novice when it comes to these things and would appreciate any help.
Thanks!

Arinoth June 28, 2009 11:03 PM

Sounds like a typical bait-and-switch. It most likely has the creative X-fi gamer software sitting ontop of the realtexk audio chipset. The only way that you'd have authentic creative audio (to my knowledge) would be if it is an actual independant card (pci or pci-e) and not intergrated into the motherboard.

sswilson June 29, 2009 03:43 AM

Does the creative volume panel work? If it doesn't, that'd be the first clue for sure that a card wasn't installed.

TopDogZero June 29, 2009 06:40 AM

From there web page:

Graphics, Sound & Multimedia

• Support for NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 8800 graphics processor
  • NVIDIA cards supported
  • Sound Blaster X-Fi support
  • Logitech speakers (selected models)
  • Integrated high-definition audio codec (SigmTel9220)
Sounds like there saying it supports Sound Blaster X-Fi but comes with a SigmTel9220 ?
If that's truly what they mean, then it's just a marketing pitch to get the name X-Fi in there. I mean which modern PC would not support a X-Fi sound card:haha:.

bojangles June 29, 2009 08:30 AM

It's definitely a marketing scam. Try and word things awkwardly to persuade someone into thinking they're actually getting what it describes. In a sense it's true, but it's really a bad marketing tactic. Sorry about your loss.

artistpavel June 29, 2009 09:30 AM

Is it X-Fi MB? I think they announced a year ago the software only X-Fi for OEM PCs:

OEM - Software Solutions - Sound Blaster X-Fi MB

bojangles June 29, 2009 11:28 AM

artistpavel, I think you hit the money right there. It's software emulation to create X-Fi sound, so it taxes on the CPU to get those features.

Oversized Rooster June 29, 2009 11:44 AM

Why bother with software emulation? One of the main selling points of the X-Fi was how powerful supposedly that audio processor was!

DarKStar June 29, 2009 12:20 PM

I don't see any scam about it - it is clear as water - *SUPPORT* is the key-word, they didn't say "integrated X-FI", they didn't say: "Sound Blaster X-FI", they said it SUPPORTS it. :D

I have NEVER heard of an integrated SoundBlaster X-FI on motherboards yet - Even CreativeLabs themselves have gone way down in quality control lately!

vic June 29, 2009 04:11 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I checked the connectors at the back and they look like integrated connectors. The sb x-fi volume panel is fully functional, its weird, changing the settings makes a big difference in sound.