Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2009, 10:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default how can I tell if my Xonar dx card is messedup or a driver problem?

about a month ago I moved my Xonar DX sound card from one slot to a different one because it was partially blocking the fan on my graphics card. then I did a new install of a trimmed down version of server 2003 and I also installed windows7. I have know sound after I did this and when I try to install the drivers on the 2003 os I get the BSOD and on the windows 7 it doesn't even see the sound card, yesterday ,thinking that maybe the slot was faulty I moved the sound card back to the original slot and still I am getting the same results. I am thinking that maybe the driver isn't compatible to the 2003 OS so I will just leave that alone but, what about the windows7 OS there are know drivers that I can find for the Xonar dx soundcard is there anyone else on the forums here that is having a simular problem . how can I check to see if it isn't a sound card problem and not a driver problem?
Old June 20, 2009, 01:21 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Use the vista drivers for win 7. Right click on the driver file and choose to run it in vista compatibility mode and run as administrator. Launch it and see if it works.
Old June 20, 2009, 01:21 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

The xp drivers should work with server 2003
Old June 20, 2009, 03:04 PM
Allstar
F@H

Alls i get on my donar is please plug in power , wich i have a million diff ways yet still won't give me crap .
So i toss a brand new sound card in a box behind me where it collects dust :)

Makes a nice little paper weight to :0
Old June 20, 2009, 06:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBane View Post
Alls i get on my donar is please plug in power , wich i have a million diff ways yet still won't give me crap .
So i toss a brand new sound card in a box behind me where it collects dust :)

Makes a nice little paper weight to :0
That's a fairly common issue but it doesn't sound like that's what the OP is experiencing.

Does the card show up at all in device manager? Should be like Multimedia Audio Controller or something with a yellow exclamation mark.
Old June 20, 2009, 10:38 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
That's a fairly common issue but it doesn't sound like that's what the OP is experiencing.

Does the card show up at all in device manager? Should be like Multimedia Audio Controller or something with a yellow exclamation mark.
Well as for mine i didn't check there , it won't let me install a driver one , It shows me power to the card from my MB but no power from my main psu , Wich is a 850 qauttro (sp)
so i guess i am going to have to see whats a good card out there that dosn't need extra power:)
hate to say CREATIVE but hmmm maybe :)
Old June 20, 2009, 11:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfBane View Post
Well as for mine i didn't check there , it won't let me install a driver one , It shows me power to the card from my MB but no power from my main psu , Wich is a 850 qauttro (sp)
so i guess i am going to have to see whats a good card out there that dosn't need extra power:)
hate to say CREATIVE but hmmm maybe :)
The PCI Xonars don't need power either. It's just because of the silly PLX chip.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
The PCI Xonars don't need power either. It's just because of the silly PLX chip.
they don't need power?

it does show up in the Device list it also doesn't want to work in XP either
Old July 24, 2009, 02:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
they don't need power?

it does show up in the Device list it also doesn't want to work in XP either
The PCI versions are powerless, yes. The PCI-Express ones need power though since they have the additional PLX PCI-to-PCIe bridge chip on them, which needs more power than the PCIe slot provides.

Lots of people have issues with the power connector though. I suppose you could try RMA'ing it to ASUS. Not really sure what else to say.