Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   how can I tell if my Xonar dx card is messedup or a driver problem? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/19127-how-can-i-tell-if-my-xonar-dx-card-messedup-driver-problem.html)

Shadowmeph June 20, 2009 09:49 AM

how can I tell if my Xonar dx card is messedup or a driver problem?

about a month ago I moved my Xonar DX sound card from one slot to a different one because it was partially blocking the fan on my graphics card. then I did a new install of a trimmed down version of server 2003 and I also installed windows7. I have know sound after I did this and when I try to install the drivers on the 2003 os I get the BSOD and on the windows 7 it doesn't even see the sound card, yesterday ,thinking that maybe the slot was faulty I moved the sound card back to the original slot and still I am getting the same results. I am thinking that maybe the driver isn't compatible to the 2003 OS so I will just leave that alone but, what about the windows7 OS there are know drivers that I can find for the Xonar dx soundcard is there anyone else on the forums here that is having a simular problem . how can I check to see if it isn't a sound card problem and not a driver problem?

Squeetard June 20, 2009 12:21 PM

Use the vista drivers for win 7. Right click on the driver file and choose to run it in vista compatibility mode and run as administrator. Launch it and see if it works.

Squeetard June 20, 2009 12:21 PM

The xp drivers should work with server 2003

WolfBane June 20, 2009 02:04 PM

Alls i get on my donar is please plug in power , wich i have a million diff ways yet still won't give me crap .
So i toss a brand new sound card in a box behind me where it collects dust :)

Makes a nice little paper weight to :0

JD June 20, 2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfBane (Post 211879)
Alls i get on my donar is please plug in power , wich i have a million diff ways yet still won't give me crap .
So i toss a brand new sound card in a box behind me where it collects dust :)

Makes a nice little paper weight to :0

That's a fairly common issue but it doesn't sound like that's what the OP is experiencing.

Does the card show up at all in device manager? Should be like Multimedia Audio Controller or something with a yellow exclamation mark.

WolfBane June 20, 2009 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 211943)
That's a fairly common issue but it doesn't sound like that's what the OP is experiencing.

Does the card show up at all in device manager? Should be like Multimedia Audio Controller or something with a yellow exclamation mark.

Well as for mine i didn't check there , it won't let me install a driver one , It shows me power to the card from my MB but no power from my main psu , Wich is a 850 qauttro (sp)
so i guess i am going to have to see whats a good card out there that dosn't need extra power:)
hate to say CREATIVE but hmmm maybe :)

JD June 20, 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WolfBane (Post 212049)
Well as for mine i didn't check there , it won't let me install a driver one , It shows me power to the card from my MB but no power from my main psu , Wich is a 850 qauttro (sp)
so i guess i am going to have to see whats a good card out there that dosn't need extra power:)
hate to say CREATIVE but hmmm maybe :)

The PCI Xonars don't need power either. It's just because of the silly PLX chip.

Shadowmeph July 24, 2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 212063)
The PCI Xonars don't need power either. It's just because of the silly PLX chip.

they don't need power?

it does show up in the Device list it also doesn't want to work in XP either

JD July 24, 2009 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 229632)
they don't need power?

it does show up in the Device list it also doesn't want to work in XP either

The PCI versions are powerless, yes. The PCI-Express ones need power though since they have the additional PLX PCI-to-PCIe bridge chip on them, which needs more power than the PCIe slot provides.

Lots of people have issues with the power connector though. I suppose you could try RMA'ing it to ASUS. Not really sure what else to say.