Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 26, 2009, 01:35 AM
Rookie

Default Best Soundcard to record from Allen & Heath GL 2400

Hello all.

I'm building a recording PC for a church and I need a capable, but not too pricey, sound card.

The Asus Xonar DX looks like a great buy as do the M-Audio offerings.

Your advice would be appreciated, thanks!
Old May 26, 2009, 05:26 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Are you looking to record stereo or multi-track audio? Also, have you already purchased the GL2400?

Options:
A) (Stereo/already purchased GL2400) - Yes a Xonar will record nicely with decent audio quality.
B) (Stereo/no mixer yet) - I'd highly suggest looking into the ZED series of USB mixers. You can record stereo audio directly to PC that doesn't even have a soundcard of it own, just a USB port. You can also playback stereo audio from the PC back into the mixer as well!
C) (Multi-track/GL2400 purchased) - I'd suggest a sound card from m-audio. Depending on which model you choose, you can get anywhere from 4 to 16 analog audio inputs for multi-track recording - the m-audio cards normally some with a free recording software suite as well (cakewalk if im not mistaken)
D) Multi-track/No mixer yet) - In this case I'd suggest getting the R16 (ZED series) mixer, again from Allen & Heath. This mixer can output 16 tracks of analog audio at once, via firewire 400, to a PC with a firewire input.

Hope that wasn't too confusing... ask away if you any other Qs.
Old May 26, 2009, 04:37 PM
Rookie

Yes we've had the GL 2400 for years now.

Which M-Audio card would you suggest? And what's your take on those external soundcards?

I appreciate your time, thanks!
Old May 26, 2009, 07:17 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

How many channels are you recording at once?
Old May 27, 2009, 08:34 PM
Rookie

I have no idea. The guy in charge of all this doesn't even know, though I'm guessing he wants a multi-track setup. No clue on the number of channels but he does want to edit and perhaps listen to the individual mics.

I don't think that's possible with just stereo, is it?
Old June 1, 2009, 07:37 AM
Allstar

Depending on the I/O needed look at the M-Audio Delta 1010LT. This would allow you to add more channels or allow for different configuration.