Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 4, 2009, 05:49 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

PanzerIV I think you missed my point, itís not just about volume if youíre only using headphones then a soundcard or headphone amp is fine. But if you want full surround for movies from 5.1 or 7.1 then you amp power is getting split among 5 or 6 speakers depending on setup plus your subwoofer. So a 700 watts amp split even will give you only 100 watts per channel on a 7.1 setup. Then there is the quality of sound that comes from a good amp, there are small stereo tube amps that cost way more than some 7.1 amps because of the quality of sound they put out not volume.
Old June 4, 2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Question

Ahhh I see now, so the total watt output is getting split by the number of speakers you have, including the subwoofer. Ok, thanks for the better explanation, so then I really must get a decent receiver to achieve what I'm looking for. It's just really expensive to my taste but I guess you have to pay for all the electronic parts inside. However I'd really like if possible to get an answer too for the 3 questions below as they are quite important to me and are mostly about the point of having an HTPC rather than about "what really does a receiver".

1-
I finaly found out that there is now 1 sound card that haves HDMI 1.3a I/O, it's the (Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheather HD) though it's not out yet. So I would need to get that card instead of the Prelude if I'd want to use DTS-HD since S/Pdif can only output standard DTS. However there's something I don't really understand about this card. It haves an input and an output for HDMI. What's the diffrence between both.. like, how I gotta use these i/o? :help:

2- If I use an HTPC, is it better to buy an internal bluray drive at 145$ or a standard one outside the computer like say.. this at 275$? When lucky, its possible to find "external" bluray players for 200$ but it's still fairly more than an internal drive inside a computer case.

3- I just thought about something now. If a pc soundcard doesn't replace an amp and that I still must get a receiver, then what's the point of building an HTPC of about 450$ if an external bluray player and a A/V receiver will do everything already?!? I would only understand if there's a major advantage, like better sound by combining the Auzentech card above with a receiver instead of just using the receiver alone. Also if the video quality would be fairly better when using a good videocard instead of letting ur receiver do it.
Old June 4, 2009, 02:51 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
1- I finaly found out that there is now 1 sound card that haves HDMI 1.3a I/O, it's the (Auzentech X-Fi HomeTheather HD) though it's not out yet. So I would need to get that card instead of the Prelude if I'd want to use DTS-HD since S/Pdif can only output standard DTS. However there's something I don't really understand about this card. It haves an input and an output for HDMI. What's the diffrence between both.. like, how I gotta use these i/o?
HDMI Input will pass through video from any device plugged in to it to the TV via HDMI Out and Iím assuming it will allow the cardís DAC to process the audio or pass it through to a receiver?
Quote:
2- If I use an HTPC, is it better to buy an internal bluray drive at 145$ or a standard one outside the computer like say.. this at 275$? When lucky, its possible to find "external" bluray players for 200$ but it's still fairly more than an internal drive inside a computer case.
If youíre going to build a HTPC with a good video and sound cards youíd want to get the internal drive, less money.
Quote:
- I just thought about something now. If a pc soundcard doesn't replace an amp and that I still must get a receiver, then what's the point of building an HTPC of about 450$ if an external bluray player and a A/V receiver will do everything already?!? I would only understand if there's a major advantage, like better sound by combining the Auzentech card above with a receiver instead of just using the receiver alone. Also if the video quality would be fairly better when using a good videocard instead of letting ur receiver do it.
The advantages of the HTPC are many, put a TV-Tuner in there and with the right software and you have a PVR (personal video recorder. Time shifting...), storage medium for all you media files, gaming, internet and the list goes on, basically all the stuff a regular PC does.
Old June 5, 2009, 01:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
HDMI Input will pass through video from any device plugged in to it to the TV via HDMI Out and Iím assuming it will allow the cardís DAC to process the audio or pass it through to a receiver?

The advantages of the HTPC are many, put a TV-Tuner in there and with the right software and you have a PVR (personal video recorder. Time shifting...), storage medium for all you media files, gaming, internet and the list goes on, basically all the stuff a regular PC does.
Umm so you would have to take an HDMI cable from ur computer's videocard to go into the soundcard's HDMI-In then take another cable for HDMI-Out from the soundcard to the receiver... then another HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV?? Sounds complicated at first but I think I see the point. If you would do it separately by connecting ur videocard directly to the TV instead of the soundcard, then when the sound would go from the hdmi cable of the receiver, you would need 2 hdmi input on the TV first, then god know if it would work or not as that would prolly act like two diffrent video (Video 1, Video 2, Video 3...) on the tv so the first would would prolly have image but no sound, and the opposite for the second video. Unless the receiver would have an input to get the sound from ur soundcard but then you would have to connect the videocard on another input from the receiver and hope that it gets "merged" together before going out in another cable to the tv. So yea rather than do that we would use the HDMI-In from the soundcard to passthrough the video signal from the videocard. Ok ok I got it.. x_x

Now as for the HTPC, obviously I know that it can do anything a regular computer can do. As for the Tv-Tuner I prollu wouldn't get one since I don't really care about recording tv shows and that I would be limited to the analogue 30 stock channels since there's no tuner to replace the digital "vcr" like illico from vidťotron. That's why since I don't use all these "bonuses" of the HTPC that I wondered if the sound and video would look better than if you would just be using the A/V Receiver to the tv 0_o. Sorry if it's a little unclear.. I'm quite tired.
Old June 27, 2009, 04:59 PM
Rookie

you guys are making me want to upgrade mine now
Old June 27, 2009, 07:48 PM
Allstar

@Panzer, You connect a DVI from your GFX card to this card which adds the audio signal. -You take the HDMI out and go to a receiver, where it splits the audio and processes it and send the video to your display.

To note, this card will also support all the high definition formats avialble through HDMI, and send them out over analog. You don't need a receiver, if you don't want one.