Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2009, 12:07 AM

My System Specs

Default Kef speakers?

I see NCIX always has these things on sale and was just curious if anyone has heard them before. I am looking to upgrade my home theatre and was thinking about purchasing these due to their price. I've been looking at AV123.com stuff as well, but am afraid of shipping from the USA. Which is another reason I was looking at the Kef's.
Old May 21, 2009, 08:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There has to be some boutique audio stores in Alberta...

I have no idea how KEF is though, but for the price it's either Bose-type quality (aka hated by all audiophiles) or it's fairly decent stuff.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:14 AM

My System Specs

I've heard from a few other friends that is it supposedly good stuff for the price. Likely better than the Soundstage towers I paid $50 for at a garage sale.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

I have a set of Kef bookshelf speakers and really like them. Generally, they are quite good quality.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:01 AM
Banned
F@H

KEF are fairly decent quality speakers. I will never consider buying a speaker with a port in the front, myself, but that's my personal preference.

The KEF Muon is one of the most grand speakers out there, @ about $150k PER SPEAKER, so that "high-end" innovation does translate down to the "lower-grade" speakers.

The fact that they even have such a model boasts how highly regarded they are, and speaks volumes() about thier R&D budget.

The 204/2c (3.2ohm minimum)Center and the 1000w 209 Subwoofer are pretty high on my list of "If I had limitless funds I would buy..."
Old May 21, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I've heard from a few other friends that is it supposedly good stuff for the price. Likely better than the Soundstage towers I paid $50 for at a garage sale.
Soundstage is actually good stuff but you can't cheap out on it. I have a Soundstage 10" sub and you'd be surprised how loud that little guy is. Another guy on the forums has 2 in his setup and likes them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
KEF are fairly decent quality speakers. I will never consider buying a speaker with a port in the front, myself, but that's my personal preference.

The KEF Muon is one of the most grand speakers out there, @ about $150k PER SPEAKER, so that "high-end" innovation does translate down to the "lower-grade" speakers.

The fact that they even have such a model boasts how highly regarded they are, and speaks volumes() about thier R&D budget.

The 204/2c (3.2ohm minimum)Center and the 1000w 209 Subwoofer are pretty high on my list of "If I had limitless funds I would buy..."
Ported speakers to the front is to make them sound louder than they are :(
Old May 22, 2009, 05:26 PM
MVP

kef r definatly my next purchase 4 home speakers ive allmost bought them a few times but i end up buyin more lcd t.v's[4 the kids rooms] ,ive heard them and there great very clear crisp sound.they have the 5.25" and the 6.and a halfs inches in the bookshelf speakers.[visions has the 5.25 bookshelf speakers onsale now 4 $198;00 that is half price.the 6 and a halfs r $500;00.

they make great center chanels 2, 1 is a single speaker,and the other is a 3 speaker center chanel

towers r realy high qaulity but prety pricy

sub's r decent but i like my 12" veladine sub

when i replace my nuance speakers i will 4 sure b byein the kefs
Old May 22, 2009, 07:45 PM
Allstar

For the price you can't really go wrong. Go to an audio store in your area and audition them first of course. I think it's a great deal overall.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old May 22, 2009, 08:07 PM

My System Specs

didn't know visions sold kef, i'll check them out.
hola crapo! Visions is $600 more for a pair for the IQ9's. Too bad NCIX sold them before I could buy them, they better be back on sale next week. Here's to hoping.
Old May 22, 2009, 08:47 PM
MVP

visions allso price matches and beats the price your matching buy %10

and allso when u buy the xtended warranty if u do not use the xtended warranty u purchased, u get the price of the warranty 2wards anything in the store on your next purchase.

so lets say warranty is $250;00 at the end of the warranty period if u did not use it, u get $250;00 off your next purchase