Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Kef speakers? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/18125-kef-speakers.html)

lowfat May 21, 2009 12:07 AM

Kef speakers?

I see NCIX always has these things on sale and was just curious if anyone has heard them before. I am looking to upgrade my home theatre and was thinking about purchasing these due to their price. I've been looking at AV123.com stuff as well, but am afraid of shipping from the USA. Which is another reason I was looking at the Kef's.

JD May 21, 2009 08:44 AM

There has to be some boutique audio stores in Alberta...

I have no idea how KEF is though, but for the price it's either Bose-type quality (aka hated by all audiophiles) or it's fairly decent stuff.

lowfat May 21, 2009 09:14 AM

I've heard from a few other friends that is it supposedly good stuff for the price. Likely better than the Soundstage towers I paid $50 for at a garage sale.

Gav May 21, 2009 10:45 AM

I have a set of Kef bookshelf speakers and really like them. Generally, they are quite good quality.

cadaveca May 21, 2009 11:01 AM

KEF are fairly decent quality speakers. I will never consider buying a speaker with a port in the front, myself, but that's my personal preference.

The KEF Muon is one of the most grand speakers out there, @ about $150k PER SPEAKER, so that "high-end" innovation does translate down to the "lower-grade" speakers.

The fact that they even have such a model boasts how highly regarded they are, and speaks volumes(:haha:) about thier R&D budget.

The 204/2c (3.2ohm minimum)Center and the 1000w 209 Subwoofer are pretty high on my list of "If I had limitless funds I would buy...":clap:

enaberif May 21, 2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 198247)
I've heard from a few other friends that is it supposedly good stuff for the price. Likely better than the Soundstage towers I paid $50 for at a garage sale.

Soundstage is actually good stuff but you can't cheap out on it. I have a Soundstage 10" sub and you'd be surprised how loud that little guy is. Another guy on the forums has 2 in his setup and likes them too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadaveca (Post 198289)
KEF are fairly decent quality speakers. I will never consider buying a speaker with a port in the front, myself, but that's my personal preference.

The KEF Muon is one of the most grand speakers out there, @ about $150k PER SPEAKER, so that "high-end" innovation does translate down to the "lower-grade" speakers.

The fact that they even have such a model boasts how highly regarded they are, and speaks volumes(:haha:) about thier R&D budget.

The 204/2c (3.2ohm minimum)Center and the 1000w 209 Subwoofer are pretty high on my list of "If I had limitless funds I would buy...":clap:

Ported speakers to the front is to make them sound louder than they are :(

hightest May 22, 2009 05:26 PM

kef r definatly my next purchase 4 home speakers ive allmost bought them a few times but i end up buyin more lcd t.v's[4 the kids rooms] ,ive heard them and there great very clear crisp sound.they have the 5.25" and the 6.and a halfs inches in the bookshelf speakers.[visions has the 5.25 bookshelf speakers onsale now 4 $198;00 that is half price.the 6 and a halfs r $500;00.

they make great center chanels 2, 1 is a single speaker,and the other is a 3 speaker center chanel

towers r realy high qaulity but prety pricy

sub's r decent but i like my 12" veladine sub

when i replace my nuance speakers i will 4 sure b byein the kefs

Nodscene May 22, 2009 07:45 PM

For the price you can't really go wrong. Go to an audio store in your area and audition them first of course. I think it's a great deal overall.

lowfat May 22, 2009 08:07 PM

didn't know visions sold kef, i'll check them out.
hola crapo! Visions is $600 more for a pair for the IQ9's. Too bad NCIX sold them before I could buy them, they better be back on sale next week. Here's to hoping.

hightest May 22, 2009 08:47 PM

visions allso price matches and beats the price your matching buy %10 :thumb:

and allso when u buy the xtended warranty if u do not use the xtended warranty u purchased, u get the price of the warranty 2wards anything in the store on your next purchase.:thumb:

so lets say warranty is $250;00 at the end of the warranty period if u did not use it, u get $250;00 off your next purchase