Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 12, 2009, 08:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
And...if all amps sounded the same, there'd be no need to have so many models...there is a definate difference form amp-to-amp, largely due to OMPAMP choice. A different electronic signature of OPAMPs is widely documented, and is a definate feature of OMPAMPs.
When I say amps, I mean, similar spec'd SS amps for loudspeakers that purely amplify the signal. Guitar amps will sound different due to gain controls, speakers, enclosures etc. I encourage you to do some blind testing with different amps. You'll be surprised at how similar amps can sound, even though the price is 2 times more in some cases.

SheepStar
Old June 12, 2009, 08:18 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep View Post
When I say amps, I mean, similar spec'd SS amps for loudspeakers that purely amplify the signal. Guitar amps will sound different due to gain controls, speakers, enclosures etc. I encourage you to do some blind testing with different amps. You'll be surprised at how similar amps can sound, even though the price is 2 times more in some cases.

SheepStar
Not really. Spec's have nothing to do with it, really, as rarely do they portray what components make up the amplifier section of ANY amplifier. In that way, guitar amps are no different than a home stereo. Things like OPAMPs and DACs are really what seperate one amp form another, other than the power rating.

It's this that make MSI's versions of SB Live on-board so much different than hte add-in board...

Old June 12, 2009, 10:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Not really. Spec's have nothing to do with it, really, as rarely do they portray what components make up the amplifier section of ANY amplifier. In that way, guitar amps are no different than a home stereo. Things like OPAMPs and DACs are really what seperate one amp form another, other than the power rating.

It's this that make MSI's versions of SB Live on-board so much different than hte add-in board...

I am at the point where I can no longer continue the conversation with you, simply based on your perspective of this situation. You are firm in your beliefs, which I have studied to be false. I have presented my argument for you to consider, and can no longer add anything new to this discussing without first taking the time to review my replies, and do as I've suggested.

Good luck with you're recording, it sounds like you have a nice sound system (not many people sporting dual subwoofers).

Lowfat, sorry for the thread derailment. Post pictures already.

Sheep
Old June 12, 2009, 10:29 PM
Banned
F@H

I needed a laugh, Sheep, thanks. You need to study about OPAMPs then. Seriously.

Lowfat....:

NO kidding about the pics!