Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 26, 2007, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default Recommend me a good 5.1 Surround sounds Speaker set!

As title says, im looking for a 5.1 speaker set. I had a look and what i found to be one of the best is : http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...cture=Logitech

Does it look good ? Will it be compatible with my X-FI Xtrememusic ?

Also, i like to listen to some DVDs on my comp. Will it be surround if my surround speaker are set-up correctly and the particular DVD actually has 5.1 audio ?

Also, playing CS:S with surround sound would be awesome. Will it work with such game ?

Basically, what im looking for is a nice set of speakers that will let me play some games with surround sound, listen to DVDs with surround sound as well if available and i'd also like to get decent sound and bass when i listen to some Dark Black\Technical Death Metal stuff...

If you have an speaker set to recommend over this one, shoot away!

-----------------------------

Last question -

Could anybody recommend me a great program that let you read DVDs ?

Thanks a tone!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old June 27, 2007, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hehe- that's the system that I am going to put on my christmas wish list- I've listened to it and it sounds very good for music, but I haven't heard games on it. The build quality looks good and the amplifier is intuitive. It's also cheaper at DC and when I looked at it, it had free ground shipping.
Old June 27, 2007, 04:21 PM
Allstar

I actually own a set of these I have the Xfi-platinum and hook them up with the optical out. Gaming is AWESOME To give you an example of how deep sounding explosions are... I was gaming in my computer room(basement) with no one home:) and my brother pulled up to my house in his truck....as he got closer to the house he thought he could here some thunder but it was just my logitechs at about half volume :) If the game or dvd supports surround then they will play it. I had the 2300's and upgraded to this set....much better As for music...I like how they sound but they tend to shake the windows, walls and anything hanging on the walls lol.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old June 27, 2007, 08:20 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Audiophile here,
Youre looking at the best 5.1 speaker system you can get for a pc. Possibly the best computer sound system period. It has analog ins, a digital coaxial input and digital optical input. The system puts out over 500watts rms of power, most of which is from its massive 10' subwoofer (approx 280 watts i believe). The ONLY reason i dont have these is because i have no wall/stand space to put the satellites. Instead, i bought the 5500's little brother, the Z2200 (not to be confused with the newer, less powerful z2300). Same front speakers as the 5500, similiar sub (small power amp) but the same amazing sound quality and power. The logitech Z series is the way to go for your computer audio needs (and in my case, lustful desires, lol).
Old June 28, 2007, 10:48 AM
Allstar

I should mention alot of people had sets that would snap when light were turned on or off they could hear interference from alot of sources etc. They were known by Logitech to have bad circuits/sheilding in the PSU areas. They have since announced a recall on the down-low and are furnishing people with new sets of Z-5500's if after speaking with tech support they deem your system faulty. Just thought you guys might like to know that, atleast if you have these issue you know what to do. They may have fixed this problem..it was a big deal to alot of people...
Old June 28, 2007, 12:36 PM
JayDee

Well I've got my PC hooked up to a Marantz 100watt AV reciever with 5 Mirage satelites and 10" sub. My surround system cost quite abit... But...

Even a cheaper home theatre sytem will offer you a whole lot more for your money/PC IMO. It can also save money on a soundcard because if your mobo has SPDIF Optical output you can use that and get great sound.

I just looked at random at Bestbuy and something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...2&catid=20311#
or this
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...5&catid=20311#
is what I'm thinking of.

If you are interested in this sort of thing I'd suggest you go to one of this type of stores yourself and bring a couple CD's/DVD's that you like and are very familiar with how they sound - check out how these familiar CD/DVD sound on a few systems in your price range and you might find something you like :)
Old June 28, 2007, 02:38 PM
Allstar

You can always go the Home theater route for sure. The main problem with that is money. Alot of people go with the Z-5500's because for the price it is hard to get anything else that will give similar POWER output. Home audio gear is easy to connect to a soundcard. The analog side is all standardized line level signals. If you have a receiver and speakers you can easily connect them in analog mode or in digital mode if your card and receiver are capable of digital I/O.

Last edited by Robscix; June 28, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old June 28, 2007, 08:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
You can always go the Home theater route for sure. The main problem with that is money. Alot of people go with the Z-5500's because for the price it is hard to get anything else that will give similar POWER output. Home audio gear is easy to connect to a soundcard. The analog side is all standardized line level signals. If you have a receiver and speakers you can easily connect them in analog mode or in digital mode if your card and receiver are capable of digital I/O.
Hmmmmmmmm...........

I've looked around for this, but maybe what I'm thinking isn't what they're talking about...........

What I'm looking for is a 2 channel level analog O/P signal which isn't affected by the computer's volume so that my young lad doesn't blow another set of speakers by overdriving the I/P to a standard 2 channel amp.

Is there a setting that I'm missing on either audigy cards or even newer on-board which sets the O/P at a standard level? (sorry for a partial off topic, but I wanted to get this in while I could.... :) ).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 29, 2007, 09:16 AM
Allstar

The signals are line-Level. I think alot of the time people set their PC mixers low and then turn their amps high. You know what happens if the mixer gets cranked up. The best way to do it would be to turn both master and Wav faders to about 90% then adjust your amp to a LITTLE over normal listening volume. Reduce the Mixers faders. This should prevent any accidents, as if it gets turned up it will be loud but won't hurt any gear.
I am pretty sure there is a little app floating around that may allow you to lock volume levels on the mixer etc. Does this help you at all?

Update:
I found a Volume LOCK. I have NOT tested it myself but by the description it should do exactly what you want. Let me know if this helps.
Volume control utility - VolumeLock

Last edited by Robscix; June 29, 2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old June 29, 2007, 11:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Heh Thanks guys for the replies! I just finished moving! What a pain ... it was ... lol Anyway, so liek i said, i just finished moving. Ive been working on cleaning\organizing my new room which i must say that i freaking like! lol Back with mom in her new house's basement

The room is great! A little small thought but is great. I painted the walls white and cleaned it before bringing my stuff around. Tonight we just finished hooking the wiring around the room and played with the damn router... I hate ROUTERS! We had to open ports and make static IPs etc... What a pain it was... But at least we got it! Steam would download updates at 1-3 kb\s ...a nd which would take hours to complete even the smallest updates and would take a good 15mins just to open my game list as it had to connect tot he steam server... and it was blocked by the router's firewall... Anyway, me and a good friend worked around and we fixed that... And both of us never had f*cked with such thing!

Also, i had to buy some Monster Cable for my comp as it seems it was prudent to do so... The house has no real ground... and everything in my room is hooked onto the same breaker... so in case of surge.. I'm safe. ANd it also reg the electricity flow for my comp. Paid 170$ CAD for that Monster power bar...

Anyway, after hours of work, im done with my room. Bought a lot of new stuff and i think it looks freaking great! I'll take some pics tomorrow but for now, i gotta get some sleep. What surprise me is that the the beers did not even knocked me out yet! lol

So yeah, i think ill get that same exact Speaker set! I don't want a Home Theater as i already have one upthere HDTV 32" With the HD surround sound. Basically, all the HD stuff you know.

BTW: This message was supposed to be posted yesterday night (Or morning...lol call it the way you want it was 4am) but for some reasons the god damn internet crashed while i was typing the message...
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14