Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2009, 09:36 PM
Top Prospect

Default Audiophile Headphones

Well, after look at gaming headsets and asking around, I've decided I'd rather get audiophile headphones and a clip on mic. I am going to purchase the Auzentech Forte, which has an amp, so I shouldn't really be limited in what I can get.

Here's what I'm looking for:
  • Very Comfortable
  • Don't leak much sound (I often use a headset because someone else is nearby)
  • I prefer immersion over being able to hear footsteps through explosions
  • Don't wanna spend over $200
please help me out!

Last edited by Scart; April 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old April 17, 2009, 11:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Headsets mean headphone + mic combo, hence a set. What you're looking for is a headphone, which can get very expensive at the truly audiophile end. With a 200 dollar budget, you can try looking at the Sennheiser HD-555 (circumaural, comfortable, and decent quality for its price) or the Denon AH-D1001.

Old April 18, 2009, 07:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Headphone Reviews & Recommendations

Excellent review site for headphones. Sennheiser looks like the company to me, though I picked up some Bose for traveling. Another name that gets good reviews is Grado. If you can audition the headphones in a store, so much the better, of course.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old April 18, 2009, 08:56 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
Headsets mean headphone + mic combo, hence a set. What you're looking for is a headphone
If you wanna get into a grammar war its "headphones"

I was told Audio Technica 700's were very good, as well as M-Audio.

Does anyone know where you'd be able to test these out?
I live in Edmonton.
Old April 18, 2009, 09:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
If you wanna get into a grammar war its "headphones"

I was told Audio Technica 700's were very good, as well as M-Audio.

Does anyone know where you'd be able to test these out?
I live in Edmonton.
It wasn't supposed to be a grammar war, nor was it hostile (which you seem to have taken it to be). It was supposed to let you find what you're looking for more easily. "Headset without mic" probably won't be a very good way to find what you're looking for on Google.

Old April 18, 2009, 10:40 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
It wasn't supposed to be a grammar war, nor was it hostile (which you seem to have taken it to be). It was supposed to let you find what you're looking for more easily. "Headset without mic" probably won't be a very good way to find what you're looking for on Google.
haha I know. I just typed headset by accident
Old April 18, 2009, 05:20 PM
Rookie

I just picked up the M-Audio Q40, and I got to say that they are great.

Came to about $200 at CC.

One thing to know about the Q40, is that they are like clamps out of the box. I had to stretch mine out before I could wear
them for more than a couple of hours. You can also pick you some DT770 pads, which apparently make it far more comfortable

Take a look at this thread, for more info on them
M-Audio Q40 Impressions (long w/pics) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
- 2GB Mushkin HP2
- HX620
- Cooler Master Stacker 810

Old April 18, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

your best bet is to get a sennheiser headset or a grado, but grado sets are really hard to buy in canada

If your your still unsatisfied with one of those then its time to build a headphone amp
Old April 18, 2009, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Futureshop has the sennheiser 350s on for $219 and those are a full headset with mic, id go with something like that as they have gotten some pretty good reviews and when I tested them they sounded great. Although for myself I just went out and bought some plantronics audio.370s for $24 at futureshop, their deffinetly not worth thier originaly price of 69.99 but at $24 they work pretty decently till I can afford something better, headphones are near the bottom of the list of future upgrades atm.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old April 18, 2009, 11:45 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
your best bet is to get a sennheiser headset or a grado, but grado sets are really hard to buy in canada

If your your still unsatisfied with one of those then its time to build a headphone amp
The Forte has a headphone amp