Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 8, 2009, 09:21 PM
Top Prospect

Default Sound Card and Gaming Headset

With finals coming, school will be over soon and I will finally be able to play games again.
I am hoping to get some upgrades for that joyous occasion.
One of the upgrades I want t get is my first sound card and upgrade to a nice gaming headset.

I have vista 64-bit so the main thing for the sound card is to work. I am no audiophile and I've never really experience any problem with the quality of on board so I don't need anything really ridiculous.
currently looking at: Auzentech Forte

For the headset there are a few things I want. Comfort is really really important and an around the ear headset is a must. I'm looking more for game-immersion than being able to pick out footsteps and pwn noobs. I would also prefer a closed headset design for immersion and so if my family is around they don't have to listen to my game.
currently looking at: SteelSeries 5H V2, flirting with the idea of the Sennheiser PC350

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Front connectors for the audio card is really preferred also

Last edited by Scart; April 8, 2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

Love the Forte, she's able to pack a punch for such a small card, though I've yet to manage to get her to work in Windows 7.

Also, it might just be me, but I've always preferred studio headphones > gaming headphones, much clearer sound, no gimmicks, and I've yet to have any trouble picking out people when matched with a good sound card. I know some people swear by "surround sound" sets and whatnot, but going from studio to gaming back to studio I can say I really find gaming to be lackluster in sound quality.

Old April 8, 2009, 10:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah the Auzentech Forte is a great choice for sure..

And +1 on the Studio headphones!! Sound quality for the win..
Old April 9, 2009, 04:48 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

+2 on the studio cans and I'd suggest not ruling out open headphones. I'm currently running an Audio Technica AD900 and an AD2000, both of which are open cans and their immersion is tremendous. My wife can't hear the cans, even when I up the volume on my ASUS STX to 70, so I wouldn't worry about anyone else overhearing your game playing.

With the Forte you can connect your front panels audio cable directly to the card but I don't know if that will allow you to use the Forte's built in headphone amp.

As to a set of good cans, I'd suggest the Audio Technica AD700s but here's a link that you might find helpful.

Headphone Buyer's Guide - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Old April 9, 2009, 06:50 AM
Top Prospect

I just picked up a set of M-Audio Q40's (with an SB X-Fi Titanium), and went to a small 16 person lan party. We all decided to have a headset comparison.

There was everything there from cheap Logitech's to Steel's. We had the Siberia's, G35's, and mine, the M-Audio's.

Everyone there agreed that the M-Audio's where the best ones (based on COD4 and some music). I paid $150+ tax for them, and they were well worth the money.

That being said, my Icemat Siberia's were more comfortable for long term wearing.

I've currently got a set of Audio Technica 700's on order (I work in the audio biz), so I'm really looking forward to hearing what they sound like...
Asus Rampage II GENE Motherboard
2 x Asus GTX 285 in SLI (710/1617/2700)
1 x 1tb WD Black
3 x WD 640AAKS in RAID 0
Enermax 85-1050 PSU
HP 30" 2560x1600, G19, G7, M-Audio Q40 Headset

Old April 10, 2009, 10:48 AM
Top Prospect

The only thing with stereo headphones is that I have no idea where to buy half of them.
That and that I'd need to use a clip on mic or something which is real annoying. My motherboard (M2N32-SLI Deluxe) came with this directional array microphone, but due to half my motherboard stuff not working right lately - for audio, it works fine but I can't actually see or open the control panel and change anything and my front panel mic port doesn't wanna work right now, another reason for a sound card - I haven't been able to get it to work.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:45 AM
Top Prospect

Any audiophiles that wanna help me out on this?
Old April 11, 2009, 10:24 AM
Allstar
F@H

Easily would say the M-Audio Q40 or if you want to save some cash grab the Grados set, both are amazing sounding, and will be great when matched with a good sound card. I'll grab some sites when I get back from work as I have to leave in a couple minutes, but I do know that some vendors (I believe the Grado's do) from amazon.com will ship to Canada.

As for the mic, I'm using a Zalman ZM MIC-1, small, cheap clip on mic, and I haven't had any problems with it, other then people saying I'm a bit too loud on the thing!

Old April 11, 2009, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

I really don't wanna spend $200+ on a headset unless its REALLLLLY worth it, so try to keep it under that.

I still think I would prefer closed-type headphones since I often play games with family members less than 10 feet away, and I'd rather have more immersive bass, I really don't care if explosions drown out footsteps.

I was looking at the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the Audio Technica 700's but I didn't see anything about M-Audio or Grado but I will look at those.

And thanks for all the help!
Old April 13, 2009, 10:15 AM
Top Prospect

bump?