Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 12:10 AM
JAMES.k's Avatar
Trial Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default which sound card for this setup ??

hi every 1
ive been doin abit of reaserchin on some audio gear recently. ive finally decided on these 2 things >>
1 - turtle beach hpx headset
2 - edifier s530 2.1 speakers setup
ok now im runnin onboard ...... for some reason i really wanna say plastic fantastic lol anyway my question is which sound card would suit this setup the most. ive also looked into a few cards but havent completely decided yet.
not in order or preference
1 - asus xonar essence stx
2 - auzentech forte 7.1
i can get both of these cards in australia
3 - ht omega claro halo or xt
i be listenin to music, watchin movies and gamin.
an advance thanks to all. i be very interested in knowin what u think and other recommendations would be great. ^.^
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 09:58 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 196
Default

well forte is currently the best sound card on the market so...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 10:13 AM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,801

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go flames go View Post
well forte is currently the best sound card on the market so...
that definitely isn't true. But what he is looking for, then likely yes. The Essence is a headphone card however it is meant for 2 channel headphones.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 10:19 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
that definitely isn't true. But what he is looking for, then likely yes. The Essence is a headphone card however it is meant for 2 channel headphones.
other then proffesional audio cards yes it is the best card on the market
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 10:35 AM
Dave510's Avatar
MVP
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 276

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go flames go View Post
other then proffesional audio cards yes it is the best card on the market
Subjective testing places the Prelude, D2X and STX in essentially the same calibur.

Benchmarks place the Forte lower than quite a few sound cards.

And if you look at the hardware components, you'll realize the Forte also doesn't have the best components either:
? ??
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 10:47 AM
lowfat's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 7,801

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go flames go View Post
other then proffesional audio cards yes it is the best card on the market
no, it still isn't the best when it comes to consumer cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
Subjective testing places the Prelude, D2X and STX in essentially the same calibur.

Benchmarks place the Forte lower than quite a few sound cards.

And if you look at the hardware components, you'll realize the Forte also doesn't have the best components either:
? ??
That is a great chart.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 11:13 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 196
Default

Listen im not fightning with you on this. Ive had a prelude and a sonar, this beats both + it has a headphone amp.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 11:21 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go flames go View Post
Listen im not fightning with you on this. Ive had a prelude and a sonar, this beats both + it has a headphone amp.
Its because the Forte has a dedicated headphone amp unlike most cards.

Personally HT Omega Striker or Auzentech Xplosion are two great cards with a decent price tag that will work fine for most people.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 11:40 AM
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 196
Default

exactly + it has VERY good drivers is good for music,movies,gaming, and audio creation as as has all the latest technologies unlike the predlude it is also pci express instead of pci. It is the best consumer card period. I picked up mine last week at ncix for 139.99 on sale xD
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old April 6, 2009, 11:45 AM
enaberif's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Calgahree, AB
Posts: 10,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by go flames go View Post
exactly + it has VERY good drivers is good for music,movies,gaming, and audio creation as as has all the latest technologies unlike the predlude it is also pci express instead of pci. It is the best consumer card period. I picked up mine last week at ncix for 139.99 on sale xD
PCI-E doesn't give any benefit over PCI.

Prelude can do the exact same thing as the Forte as the Forte is an updated Prelude with just a dedicated headphone amp.

You can BUY a dedicated headphone amp for the price of a Forte and keep the onboard :P
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[WTB] Sound card and wc video card hausner Buy/Sell & Trade 17 August 11, 2009 01:59 PM
WTB: Video Card/Sound Card/Hard drive - Look here if u gotz some ! Flintblade Buy/Sell & Trade 4 December 4, 2008 09:27 PM
LF Sound card Eatstone Buy/Sell & Trade 8 November 2, 2008 11:36 PM
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio is not really a X-FI sound card dirtfarmer Audio 15 January 2, 2008 07:15 PM
Which Sound card is better? xPhuong Audio 1 September 14, 2007 06:21 AM