Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Audio (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/)
-   -   Decent 5.1 speakers for $500 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/16275-decent-5-1-speakers-500-a.html)

Dr_BenD_over March 28, 2009 08:31 AM

Decent 5.1 speakers for $500

I've been using a set of Logitech Z-640's for a few :whistle: years now. They weren't bad other than the initial 'tininess' when I swapped over from my old, getto, first car speakers on some old "8 Track stereo system" setup. Now that I have my own place, out in the sticks, where I don't have to worry about annoying neighbours, I find them extremely pathetic. Sure there's bass, but, I'm still not tone deaf and need something more. Any suggestions? I'm looking for power in the full range, not just the low end.

Squeetard March 28, 2009 08:57 AM

Love my klipsch pro media ultra 5.1 set. Just can't find them around anymore. About the only speakers available are the z-5500's.

go flames go March 28, 2009 09:18 AM

z-5500s or creative gigaworks (ew)

pick ur poison really 5.1 doesnt have many options

Jake_HT March 28, 2009 09:19 AM

Z-5500 is the best bet at it's price range.. pair it up with a nice sound card (with analog) and you have a nice sounding system... trust me, it's friggen loud.... they put 70w systems to shame.

CMetaphor March 28, 2009 09:19 AM

At the price range, there really isnt very much you can get... Sorry to say...

Dr_BenD_over March 28, 2009 11:11 AM

Well let's lift the price cap, it's only money.

biff March 28, 2009 11:23 AM

Any wood working skills/tools? You could build your own and buy a used A/V receiver to power them.

enaberif March 28, 2009 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake_HT (Post 170948)
Z-5500 is the best bet at it's price range.. pair it up with a nice sound card (with analog) and you have a nice sounding system... trust me, it's friggen loud.... they put 70w systems to shame.

Wattage means absolutely squat with speakers. There is a lot more to take into consideration.

Like will you properly setup the 5.1 speakers.. or are you just going to pile them up on your desk?

Dr_BenD_over March 28, 2009 01:22 PM

presently, I'm setup like this..

LF, front and RF are behind my 24" LCD, in appropriate spots
LR and RR are attached to the back my chair in total nerd fashion
sub is on the floor to the right of my feet
(the 4 sat's will be going to the 4 corners of the room, once I run the cat5 to move my file server to another room.)

go flames go March 28, 2009 06:51 PM

i have razer mako 2.1 speakers and they for me are the pinaccle of pc sound and am using them without a sound card. cant went till i get my x-fi forte :). there so clean unlike the logitechs and give a surround sound feel without being virtual you have to set them up properly though. the best has an hd amplifier is is very clean no muddy sounds. there quie expensive by imo are IT. just my .2 Cents