Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2009, 07:09 PM
Rookie

Default Audio card for gaming.

I just ordered a new system (Intel Q9650 + Gigabyte EP45-UD3P + Radeon HD 4870 X2 + Coolermaster CM 690) and completely overlooked the audio card.

My priorities are (1) games, both new (Crysis, Bioshock, CoD4) and older (HL2), (2) movies, and (3) music. Must work well with Vista x64 and XP x86, support for XP x64 would be a big bonus. I'm not an audiophile so issues such as swapping parts on the card are not really imporant to me, but I still want clear sound. My output is via Logitec X-530 5.1 speakers. I don't have plans for head phones.

Some cards I have been looking at in no particular order.

1) Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 (Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 Review). I don't see this on NCIX or NewEgg.ca.

2) Auzentech X-FI Prelude 7.1 (Auzentech X-FI Prelude 7.1 Review). Seems ideal but it's PCI, I was hoping for PCI-E.

3) ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E (ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card Review). Good price (C$107 @ NCIX), definately not high end.

4) ASUS Xonar HDAV (The BEST Sound card?, NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.+). Expensive, but is it worth it?

5) HT Omega Claro (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/audio/15341-best-sound-card.html, NCIX.com - Canada's Premier Computer Store - Great Technology, Service and Selection.+). But which one?

I'm so confused.

Please help.
:help:

Thanks.
Old March 14, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with the Auzentech offerings... either one will do, the prelude is a bit nicer, also more expensive, though. The ASUS Xonar have driver problems with games and will NOT cut it for gaming, only good for music and movies, and they excel at that.

If you got one of those cards, it'd be laughing at your speakers sorry to say.
Old March 14, 2009, 07:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
The ASUS Xonar have driver problems with games and will NOT cut it for gaming, only good for music and movies, and they excel at that.

Funny, I have a DX with x-530's and Vista 64, and was about to weigh in with my positive experiences. Mind backing up your driver issue comment with a link? I'd be interested to read about that.

In any case, if your priority is mostly gaming, the Auzentech's support EAX5.0, while the Asus do not.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
New speakers will have to wait for another day. As much as head phones sound appealing (no pun) from a cost perspective, I'm not sure if they would be suitable for gaming.
Old March 15, 2009, 02:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

NCIX.com - Buy AuzenTech Forte Low Profile PCI-E 7.1 Sound Card PCI-E Dolby Digital Live Headphone AMP - AZT-FORTE In Canada.

Mind you, it's possible to price match it down to like, 150-160. And speaking of which, I love the card.

Quote:
As much as head phones sound appealing (no pun) from a cost perspective, I'm not sure if they would be suitable for gaming.
/face palm

Headphones are used on a regular basis for gaming. If I'm playing a game where I want to be immersed, I honestly can't use speakers. I mean, speakers are great and all for audio and movies, but for gaming, I dunno, I find headphones > speakers.

Old March 15, 2009, 04:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you're using Vista, go with Xonar. Almost every review of Xonar cards will tell you the exact same thing. The Prelude's not exactly in the same price range as the DX either. If you're considering the Prelude, then you might as well give the D2X a look, although one annoying aspect about the card is its lack of front port support.

Old March 15, 2009, 05:37 PM
Allstar

If your looking for a card for gaming, Look at the Prelude or the new Forte 7.1 These card will give you the best sound combined with the best compatibility for gaming both older and newer games.
Old March 25, 2009, 03:13 AM
Rookie

I chose the Forte, but I can see the point someone had made about my audio card laughing at my speakers. Speakers vs. headphone will be an adventure for another day.

Intel Q9650 + Gigabyte EP45-UD3P + Radeon HD 4870 X2 + Coolermaster CM 690

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old March 29, 2009, 10:58 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenagy View Post
I chose the Forte, but I can see the point someone had made about my audio card laughing at my speakers. Speakers vs. headphone will be an adventure for another day.

Intel Q9650 + Gigabyte EP45-UD3P + Radeon HD 4870 X2 + Coolermaster CM 690

Thanks to everyone for your help.
no. he meant that it is absurd to get such a high end card and such low end speaker. he said the card will laugh at the speakers w/no mention of headphone.
-4x2Gb DDR3 (1050@5-5-5-15, 1.65v)
-Gigabyte P55-UD2
-EVGA GTX 260, Corsair 550VX, mATX
Audio/Video
-Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD
-Asus Xonar Essence STX
-Denon AH-D2000
-Sony STR-DE197 -> Polk Audio M10

Desktop Picture
Old March 29, 2009, 03:11 PM
Allstar

Most of the modern sound cards are spec'd to "laugh" at many set of PC speakers...

Tags
audio , gaming