Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2009, 12:46 PM
Rookie

Default Retro desktop PC amp by Quinpu model Q2

I just wanted to share this with you guys this is the testing section of a review I did. I know a lot of you guys are audiophile so I figured you would get a kick out of this amp it looks damn sexy on my desk.

Output Power: 2 x 2.5 W ( 8Ω RMS)
Frequency Response: 50Hz-40kHz
THD:≤2%(1kHz)
S/N Ratio: ≥80dB(A Weighted)
Crosstalk Attenuation: ≥50dB
Input Sensitivity: ≤220mV
Overloading Level: ≥10V
Input Impedance: 10kΩ
Power Supply: 120V 60Hz 20W
Net Weight: 1.8KG/pcs
Dimension: 135mm170mm71mm

Special Bonus from Head-Direct:

30 days refund and 90 days replacement

Testing:

We will talk about the quality of sound and what the benefits are of going to the Quinpu Q2 Desktop Amplifier as opposed to your standard stand alone Logitech speaker system. I also want to talk about some technical issues that come with owning a tube/solid state hybrid amp as opposed to just a standard solid state amplifier.

So what are the benefits of a desktop amp over a speaker system? For one quality of sound, in my opinion the smooth sound quality a tube amp produces is far superior that solid state. Combining the two in a hybrid makes the range of sound even better because whether you like to admit it or not (all you analog audiophiles out there) solid state does have its pros to tube audios cones. Another key point is with an amplifier you can turn any one of your speakers into a pc speaker giving you a lot more options for your sound preferences. I tried the amp with my M3400 edifier speakers as well as hooking up just a standard Panasonic mini system 3 way speaker set.

Due to the 8ohm capacity the little amp powered stereo speakers very well. Even though the RMS is 2.5w per channel, the speakers still produced pretty powerful sound with the Quinpu Q2 Desktop Amplifier powering them.

The over all sound quality produced from the Quinpu Q2 Desktop Amplifier is amazing I couldnt believe the smooth sound quality the little feller produced. The bass was smooth, mid was smooth, and due to the solid state integrations the treble was very bright. If you like bright treble but smooth mids and bass like me this is a great little amp. Jazz sounds amazing through this amp.

I plugged in the V-moda earbuds I just got for testing (review coming soon if not already posted). The V-moda vibe iis are a little on the sibilant side when it comes to treble. The Quipu Q2s seemed to smooth out the sibilance, and brighten up the treble very nicely. The lower the impedance on the headphones I used the better they performed. What this means for average users is if you check out the specs on your headphones look for the section where it says a number then ohms. The lower this number is the better the Q2 will perform. This is a truly hi-fi roots amp which seems to work very well with both digital and analog accompaniment. Which means plugging in to your record player will sound just as nice as plugging into your cd player on this amp.

I found this video online of a few products from Quinpu including the Q2. Link to video: youtube

So what are some drawbacks of owning a tube amp? You will eventually have to replace the tubes. Like light bulbs they do burn out after awhile. In the case of the Quinpu Q2 Desktop Amplifier the cost of a new tube is only about $5. The Chinese 6N3 tube used is the equivalent of a US 5670/2C51/WE396A tube. This is the only draw back if you would even call it that to going tube as opposed to full solid state.

Take a look at the unit at the North american distributors site: check it out

Second Rig:
Intel E6600::Asus P5B::2X1GB Kingston::EAH 4850::950W Coolmax USA PSU:: 320GB + 250 GB Seagate::XP SP3::Logitech G15 and G5::Thermaltake M9
Old March 10, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munk View Post
Output Power: 2 x 2.5 W ( 8Ω RMS)
Frequency Response: 50Hz-40kHz
THD:≤2%(1kHz)
S/N Ratio: ≥80dB(A Weighted)
Crosstalk Attenuation: ≥50dB
Input Sensitivity: ≤220mV
Overloading Level: ≥10V
Input Impedance: 10kΩ
Power Supply: 120V 60Hz 20W
Net Weight: 1.8KG/pcs
Dimension: 135mm170mm71mm
It does look like a pretty good amp, but it really doesn't have the greatest specs of them all. For one, the lowest range is limited to 50Hz, which actually does cut out a lot of the low signals when listening to electronic or rap music, which make the base (base as in the flow of the song) unfinished. Also, with such a high bandwidth cap of 40kHz makes me think that it also brings in a lot noise that isn't needed. I know that we can't hear it all, but most of the amps should at least include a low pass or bandpass filter to take out those high frequencies.

Don't forget that these should be used more for high impedance headphones. Anything over 50 Ohms would be acceptable, otherwise, you can damage both the speakers and your ears. An amplifier is not needed for such low impedance speakers because the voltage and current gain in the amp could kill the coils in the speaker.

The SNR is alright. It could be better seeming how integrated sounds cards on the motherboard can go all the way up to 100 dBA from what I've seen. Let's hope that this unit doesn't give any noise to the original signal. Perhaps there's a cap in there to filter some crap out.

Overall it looks pretty decent. Just be careful what you plug into it.

Pretty cool stuff indeed. I'd like to try something out like this.
Old March 16, 2009, 02:43 PM
Rookie

because it is partially analog amperage the noise is canceled out compared to your average solid state amp. I had no problems with bass frequencies on my IEM's but if you were to use a very bass heavy "can" you may notice some issues but for $79 and the ability to power speakers this is by far the best buy I have seen for a headphone amp.

Second Rig:
Intel E6600::Asus P5B::2X1GB Kingston::EAH 4850::950W Coolmax USA PSU:: 320GB + 250 GB Seagate::XP SP3::Logitech G15 and G5::Thermaltake M9
Old March 16, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oops. For $79 that is a really good deal. Thanks for letting me know after writing all that lol.