Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 18, 2009, 01:01 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Yeah, no misunderstanding, more like confirmation. I agree that changing the entire DSP is a fair bit of work, but it took how many years? One must question the effort taken to do that, when C-Media chipsets actually benefit from having a bridge chip...I also remember Creative giving the inadequate answer that there was too much noise on the pci-e bus in order for them to put the X-Fi on PCI-E...

Creative used to be great...what happened? I feel as you do...they gotta do something, but what, I don't know.
I remember reading that little blurb from one of the head guys at CL. Stating their were many reasons why the PCI-E bus was bad for audio.
I have tested out many card for the PCI-E bus some native and some usign the bridge chip and they all seem to work just fine.
Old March 18, 2009, 02:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
I remember reading that little blurb from one of the head guys at CL. Stating their were many reasons why the PCI-E bus was bad for audio.
I have tested out many card for the PCI-E bus some native and some usign the bridge chip and they all seem to work just fine.

To be honest; Creative was never really "great" they had some pretty good things going; but then the home audio industry took off as computers became more powerful and people became more educated; creative's major problem has been that they are trying to play the game now like they did when they were largely the only option.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 18, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
To be honest; Creative was never really "great" they had some pretty good things going; but then the home audio industry took off as computers became more powerful and people became more educated; creative's major problem has been that they are trying to play the game now like they did when they were largely the only option.
Creative was great when their hardware was the only thing games would run on properly... aka Wolfenstein 3d... I did however find an old Audigy 2 I had in one of my machines in the closet lol, installed it in my new build and it made a huge difference over the stock AC'97 onboard graphics, but theres a very very limited features list on vista with these cards =( Atleast doubled my bass out put and cleaned up the signal alot, and the in game quality is quite a bit better. I think im still going to trade it in for a Prelude though..

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old March 18, 2009, 10:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix
yeah should stay with ole isa 16bit AWE card was the cats meow on dukenukem 3D
Old March 20, 2009, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Two out of three right in this sentence.

If you look up "complete lack of respect for client base" in the dictionary, you'll see Creative's logo there. Just visit the Creative Forums to see how they still haven't resolved two-year-old bugs. The drivers DO NOT run flawlessly and their driver "updates" are once every handful of months. Mine? The bass drops out randomly, maybe one a month or two. Why? Who knows. If I fiddle in the settings, or do a driver clean and reinstall, eventually I get my sub back.

It may look frequent, but that because there is so much bloatware surrounding the drivers, and each of those things get updated once every handful of months randomly, that it looks like a good stream of updates.

I haven't bought Creative anything in at least two years. There are plenty of better options.
Dood I was talking about Auzentech driver support, not Creative's. This is an Auzentech sound card using a X-Fi chipset. Much like a XFX video card using a ATI chipset. Auzentech don't use Creative's native drivers, they make their own and they work great. They do use the Creative software which isn't bloatware, the only component I leave running from this software is the Creative Volume Panel which uses 10-12MB or memory and allows you full access to quickly launch any of the great applications included as well as switch the modes from Games, Entertainment, or Audio Creation. I haven't even touched Creative's website or Forums to use this card so I could care less about their lack of support. I bought an Auzentech card because of their AWESOME support and frequent updates, when required.
Lian Li PC-V1010B : Dell U3011 30" LCD : Dell U2311 23" LCD : Asus P6T Deluxe X58 : Intel i7 920 @ 3.5GHz : OCZ DDR3 12GB @ 1483MHz 8-8-8-24 : Noctua NH-U12P : 2x MSI 6970 Lightning CF : Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 : 2x Samsung DVD-RW : Samsung DVD-ROM : OCZ Synapse 64GB Cache SSD : WD 1.5TB Black HDD : 2x WD 1TB Black HDDs : Corsair HX1000W : Cyborg R.A.T. 9 : Razer BW Ultimate Keyboard : Energy C-200 /w Yamaha RX-V667 AVR : Sennheiser HD555 Headphones : APC UPS XS 1200 : WIN 7 ULT 64
Old March 20, 2009, 03:23 PM
Allstar

Auzentech doesn't make their own drivers for the X-fi based cards. The drivers are Creative X-fi drivers with certain modifications.
Old March 20, 2009, 03:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

At least they bother to make those modifications for you, hey?
Old March 24, 2009, 08:22 AM
Rookie

I have this issue with my card... when the dock ACCIDENTALLY ON ITS OWN snaps away from the card, the computer freezes and needs to be restarted/forced to shut down in order to get things going again. Or how about when the card throttles out of the express slot because i accidentally bumped into it with the mouse? lol. just saying you know....
Anyway, creative isnt all it once was, when it was the only something available for the masses. Nowadays we luckily have much to chose from. Look at Asus for instance. Although not well marketed, they have some pretty solid products. Im sure people can think of many other options out there. At the same time one cant say that products such as the Elite Pro are lacking...