Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2009, 06:03 PM
Allstar

I have been using the Forte 7.1 in Vista and seems to work fine for me.
Old March 18, 2009, 07:15 AM
Trial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
The X-Fi chipset runs flawlessly in Vista with this card and drivers, driver updates have been frequent and the card acutally blows away my old Audigy.
Two out of three right in this sentence.

If you look up "complete lack of respect for client base" in the dictionary, you'll see Creative's logo there. Just visit the Creative Forums to see how they still haven't resolved two-year-old bugs. The drivers DO NOT run flawlessly and their driver "updates" are once every handful of months. Mine? The bass drops out randomly, maybe one a month or two. Why? Who knows. If I fiddle in the settings, or do a driver clean and reinstall, eventually I get my sub back.

It may look frequent, but that because there is so much bloatware surrounding the drivers, and each of those things get updated once every handful of months randomly, that it looks like a good stream of updates.

I haven't bought Creative anything in at least two years. There are plenty of better options.
Old March 18, 2009, 10:23 AM
Allstar

I think the main trouble with CL has just been the lack of any serious competition. This tends to give a company too much power and allows them to release small updates to their own hardware.
With the introduction of Auzentech and ASUS into the PC audio game, Creative can either step up their game considerably or they have to just keep their cards aimed at the budget minded users who
keep sound quality as a secondary need.
Given the current PC audio playing feild, I am actually hyped to see what CL will bring out next as it has to be something to compete with some awsome cards from Auzen and ASUS or they will just bring out
another X-fi this or that, with the same old sound quality and parts and nothing new.
Old March 18, 2009, 10:29 AM
Banned
F@H

Considering that this is the FOURTH calender year that the X-Fi has been out(released in 2005), I'm not too enthusiast about any of that...
Old March 18, 2009, 10:34 AM
Allstar

They just redesigned the chip to support Native PCI-E. There is also supposed to be some other added technologies but
I have yet to get hard evidence on what they are. You never know though, perhaps they may just bring out a new DSP chip...
Old March 18, 2009, 10:36 AM
Banned
F@H

Heh, adding pci-e support is minor. they added EMI sheild, and changed to a far more compact pcb with the Titanium model, but check the specs of the titanium vs the original...
Old March 18, 2009, 12:30 PM
Allstar

Please, do not misunderstand me, I know the Titanium adds nothing new upon the original designs.
To note, adding PCI-E support is minor if you just use a bridging chip. Redesigning the DSP chip itself to allows native support is not so easy.

Anyway, that is the way of Creative, adding small improvments on their existing hardware. If you look really close, The X-fi X-Music has the same output section as the Audigy 2 and eh Elite-Pro has the same output as the Audigy 4.
Considerin ghte players in the game now, if CL doesn't step up their game or aim their cards at the budget market only. They have some trouble ahead of them.
Old March 18, 2009, 12:47 PM
Banned
F@H

Yeah, no misunderstanding, more like confirmation. I agree that changing the entire DSP is a fair bit of work, but it took how many years? One must question the effort taken to do that, when C-Media chipsets actually benefit from having a bridge chip...I also remember Creative giving the inadequate answer that there was too much noise on the pci-e bus in order for them to put the X-Fi on PCI-E...

Creative used to be great...what happened? I feel as you do...they gotta do something, but what, I don't know.
Old March 18, 2009, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe get new engineers in there and make a new DSP chip? I though X-Fi 2 was supposed to be out a while ago...
Old March 18, 2009, 01:00 PM
Banned
F@H

It is...the Titanium PCI-E version, which is not much different from the first chip. It DID take them 3 years to come out with this chip...