Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 2, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm certainly no sound card expert, but isn't the auzentech forte as good as any and cheaper?
Old March 2, 2009, 08:26 AM
Banned
F@H

I don't like the X-FI in Vista. Personal choice. Auzen uses X-FI chips, so unless you are in XP, I'll not recommend them...not that they make a bad product, but that Creative's drivers suck big-time.

Last edited by cadaveca; March 2, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
My previous recommendation that you quoted stands. I thoroughly enjoy mine, and my D2X...the HDAV Deluxe gets my vote due to the RCA-out and changable opamps on the daughtercard, as well as HD-audio functions. Works great in games, although if in XP, I'd be recommending the X-FI. Like I said, a card for every situation, specialized...

If using a receiver with HDMI-in and HD-audio decoding then the regular HDAV would get my vote.
I'm using Vista so I'll go ahead and listen to your advice about the X-Fi's. HDAV Deluxe sounds allright, but it's a bit expensive though.

BTW my home theatre doesn't have HDMI input, it only has coaxial and optical. I don't see an optical on the HDAV but it should be a'ight if I hook it to the coaxial and analog L+R (white and red) plugs, right?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 2, 2009, 06:20 PM
Allstar
F@H

I dunno, I've heard decent things about the Forte in Vista, but as I'm still on XP I can't give it a whirl myself :O

Old March 2, 2009, 06:25 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
I
BTW my home theatre doesn't have HDMI input, it only has coaxial and optical. I don't see an optical on the HDAV but it should be a'ight if I hook it to the coaxial and analog L+R (white and red) plugs, right?

If you are planning to use a digital connection to an amp, then onboard cards will do, as it's the amp doing the processing...what soundcard you use matters little as long as it supports DTS/Dolby out(some onboard cards do not).

If you amp has 7.1 analogue inputs, then this is the exact situation that the HDAV Deluxe was made for...the daughtercard allows you to connect each channel seperately to the inputs of your amp, and still get HD-audio.

HD-Audio...if you've got a bluray player, or have plans to get one, then HDAV is absolutely a must...however, if you have no plans to "go HD", then the D2X will suit you just fine...as the HDAV/HDAV Deluxe are made for HD-Audio(heh, hence the HDAV name, High Definition Audio/Video =HDAV).

If you plan to use headphones, then there's the Essence STX, and if you plan to use regular pc speakers, and no HD, than there's teh whole "D" line...but I prefer the D2X myself, out of the three "D" cards...

And that's why I say, a card for every situation. Each situation has different requirements, and ASUS has realized this, and brought each of those situations a solution.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:58 PM
Top Prospect

I'm using the Auzentech X-Fi Forte and it is the best sound card I've ever used. The X-Fi chipset runs flawlessly in Vista with this card and drivers, driver updates have been frequent and the card acutally blows away my old Audigy. It is so much cleaner and louder sounding. With my 4.1 Logitech Z-560 speakers or my Sennheiser HD555 headphones I enjoy everything I listen to. Also Alchemy works amazingly for old D3D and EAX games, and OpenAL support is fully working.

Even if this card was $50 more expensive I'd still pay for it. Read the review I wrote a while back.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/member-reviews/14601-auzentech-x-fi-forte-7-1-review.html
Lian Li PC-V1010B : Dell U3011 30" LCD : Dell U2311 23" LCD : Asus P6T Deluxe X58 : Intel i7 920 @ 3.5GHz : OCZ DDR3 12GB @ 1483MHz 8-8-8-24 : Noctua NH-U12P : 2x MSI 6970 Lightning CF : Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 : 2x Samsung DVD-RW : Samsung DVD-ROM : OCZ Synapse 64GB Cache SSD : WD 1.5TB Black HDD : 2x WD 1TB Black HDDs : Corsair HX1000W : Cyborg R.A.T. 9 : Razer BW Ultimate Keyboard : Energy C-200 /w Yamaha RX-V667 AVR : Sennheiser HD555 Headphones : APC UPS XS 1200 : WIN 7 ULT 64
Old March 2, 2009, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
If you are planning to use a digital connection to an amp, then onboard cards will do, as it's the amp doing the processing...what soundcard you use matters little as long as it supports DTS/Dolby out(some onboard cards do not).

If you amp has 7.1 analogue inputs, then this is the exact situation that the HDAV Deluxe was made for...the daughtercard allows you to connect each channel seperately to the inputs of your amp, and still get HD-audio.

HD-Audio...if you've got a bluray player, or have plans to get one, then HDAV is absolutely a must...however, if you have no plans to "go HD", then the D2X will suit you just fine...as the HDAV/HDAV Deluxe are made for HD-Audio(heh, hence the HDAV name, High Definition Audio/Video =HDAV).

If you plan to use headphones, then there's the Essence STX, and if you plan to use regular pc speakers, and no HD, than there's teh whole "D" line...but I prefer the D2X myself, out of the three "D" cards...

And that's why I say, a card for every situation. Each situation has different requirements, and ASUS has realized this, and brought each of those situations a solution.
My amp does have 7.1 analog inputs, I'm guessing that will turn out fine. I don't have a 1080P TV and don't particularily plan to get Blu-Ray, but mind you I could get a blu-ray drive on my computer and play it through the computer using HDAV or other card like that and have it display on the TV, right?

I figured HDAV means High-Def-Audio-Video, I'm not a home-theatre savvy guy but I know my way around =D

I'm not getting this card to hook it to a 7.1 computer speaker system, no, it's so that I don't have any troubles getting HD audio through my amp on my home theatre.
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old March 3, 2009, 03:06 AM
Allstar

I've used my Prelude in both Vista and 7 without any driver issues.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old March 6, 2009, 05:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca
I don't like the X-FI in Vista. Personal choice. Auzen uses X-FI chips, so unless you are in XP, I'll not recommend them...not that they make a bad product, but that Creative's drivers suck big-time.
sure do for sound is seen by vista but no audio out of speakers, cos i tested with Mp3 player on speaker amp

OP go for omega

Last edited by KaptCrunch; March 6, 2009 at 06:23 AM.
Old March 6, 2009, 07:13 AM
Banned
F@H

I really wish ASUS would be a bit clearer in thier marketing for these cards, as it would probably make purchases alot easier if they jsut laid it all out clearly for everyone, rather than letting people like me try to figure out what's going on with thier products...