Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 27, 2009, 08:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

Default Hdtv and new 5.1 system

I just picked up this 1000w 5.1 RCA surround system from xs cargo for $99 and its only got one optical and one coaxial audio input. My tv has an optical audio output though and basically im wondering if that output will carry the 5.1 surround from consoles that are hooked up to the tv via hdmi.

The reciever is an rca rt2770, and the tv is a samsung LN37A530
Mobo: ASUS M3A79-T Deluxe
Memory: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1000mhz ddr2
Graphics: 2x Sapphire 4830s in Crossfire
Keyboard: Logitech G11
Mouse: Logitech G9
HD:WD 640gb Caviar Black + 750gb Seagate
#hardwarecanucks on irc.enterthegame.com
Old February 27, 2009, 08:55 PM

My System Specs

it should
Old February 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Some notes from the TV Manual:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung
  • 5.1CH audio is possible when the TV is connected to an external device supporting 5.1CH.
  • Each Digital Audio System has a different back panel configuration.
  • When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the TVís Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver. If you want to hear 5.1 channel audio, connect the DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) jack on the DVD player or Cable/Satellite Box directly to an Amplifier or Home Theater, not the TV.
So basically, you'll only get stereo output from the digital output. Unless you have your coaxial (cable tv) plugged directly into the TV itself and are actually able to get some DTV channels (unlikely without the cable company's box).

If you want proper 5.1 sound, plug the home theater receiver directly into whatever devices you have and if you don't have enough ports, then you'll have to rely on the receivers ability to upconvert stereo into 5.1 which won't sound nearly as good.
Old February 28, 2009, 07:17 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Some notes from the TV Manual:

So basically, you'll only get stereo output from the digital output. Unless you have your coaxial (cable tv) plugged directly into the TV itself and are actually able to get some DTV channels (unlikely without the cable company's box).

If you want proper 5.1 sound, plug the home theater receiver directly into whatever devices you have and if you don't have enough ports, then you'll have to rely on the receivers ability to upconvert stereo into 5.1 which won't sound nearly as good.
Ahh not the answer i wanted to hear :( Atm itll likely just be the ps3 hooked up to it anyways since ms decided to NOT put a optical output on the 360 and make you buy an expensive proprietary cable to do it. I guess if i do get that cable i could buy an optical to coaxial adapter to have both systems hooked up though. Thanks for thehelp
Old February 28, 2009, 08:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
Ahh not the answer i wanted to hear :( Atm itll likely just be the ps3 hooked up to it anyways since ms decided to NOT put a optical output on the 360 and make you buy an expensive proprietary cable to do it. I guess if i do get that cable i could buy an optical to coaxial adapter to have both systems hooked up though. Thanks for thehelp
You must of bought a "cheap" 360 then. The Pro/Premium (and above) come with a HDTV cable which had optical out built into it. You can find OEM cables that would work the same for less than the MS ones. Heck, I got a Monster Cable one for $1 + $16 shipping on eBay. Came with an optical cable too.

Could get something like this to expand your optical ports: Canadian Prices: Cables To Go - Impact Acoustics Digital Audio Explorer Toslink Selector... - 28734
Old February 28, 2009, 10:40 AM
Allstar
F@H

ya i got the arcade one lol
Hmm monoprice has the component cable with optical audio for $8 lol, got some really cheap hdmi cables and cathodes from them in the past maybe ill order these too.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonwall View Post
ya i got the arcade one lol
Hmm monoprice has the component cable with optical audio for $8 lol, got some really cheap hdmi cables and cathodes from them in the past maybe ill order these too.
Monoprice is great. They apparently have a TOSLINK switch/splitter of sorts too. I didn't come across it quickly though.