Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2009, 12:58 AM
Top Prospect

Default ohms

So I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser PC350s when they were on sale @ NCIX. Problem is, I have an x-fi xtreme audio sound card (I know) that I bought a long time ago before I knew what a TERRIBLE card it is.

I would like to invest in a new sound card or sound card + headphone amp. The PC350's impedance is rated at 150 ohms so I looking for something that will deliver at least this much power.

I am not a huge audiophile, anything that sounds better than the xtreme music and has the power to drive these headphones would be fine. Please give me some recommendations? Thanks.

Old February 23, 2009, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

So I think I have narrowed it down to the Auzentech Forte or the Xonar Essence STX (mostly because both have headphone amps). Are these overkill for what I am looking for? Would something in the $90 price range work just as well?
Old February 23, 2009, 01:14 PM
Banned
F@H

Those two cards have to be the best options out there. Nothing will compare to them and hence the price premium.
Old February 23, 2009, 01:56 PM
Hall Of Fame

My Auzen Prelude has no trouble pushing my own PC350's, and you can occasionally score those cards for a good price. Might be something to consider.
Old February 23, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Auzentech X-Fi forte is the one I'd like to have my hands on..

Other options:
Auzentech X-Fi prelude (getting expensive)
Creative X-Fi titanium (getting expensive)
Creative X-Fi elite (expensive)
Creative X-Fi xtreme gamer (good price)
Asus Xonar DX (good price)
Asus Xonar D2 (getting expensive)

Do you have the xtreme audio, or xtreme music?

The x-fi xtreme audio is not a true x-fi card.. but I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong someone) the xtreme music is an older version of the x-fi xtreme gamer, which is a true x-fi card and sounds pretty damn good.. but sounds like you got the audio version since you're not too impressed!

Personally, I'd like to have the Forte.. but I don't think coming from an xtreme gamer to the forte would be a very smart investment lol
Old February 23, 2009, 02:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
The x-fi xtreme audio is not a true x-fi card.. but I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong someone) the xtreme music is an older version of the x-fi xtreme gamer, which is a true x-fi card and sounds pretty damn good.. but sounds like you got the audio version since you're not too impressed!
Yup, the Xtreme Audio is based on the Audigy chip. The Xtreme Music is a proper X-Fi card.
Old February 23, 2009, 03:53 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the input guys, I will likely save my pennies and buy the Forte (the Essence seems a tad excessive for what I need). I really wish I had done some research before I bought that stupid xtreme audio
Old February 23, 2009, 03:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

You can also just try to find an old amp for cheap. I love my HT Omega Claro and harman/kardon hk490i.