Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2009, 12:19 PM
MVP

I swear every time I think about ordering them....the web cart on their web page tells me it will be 6-8 week wait - " You are PRE-ORDERING this product for shipment in early-June".

I think I am just going to order the Tritton Axpro True 5.1 today or tonight. I have been without headphones since Dec 08. It is killing me to not have any.

Still might order the Psyko someday. I can't even find any reviews of anyone that actually owns a set. I do look forward to reading some.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old April 15, 2009, 07:24 PM
Top Prospect

So how would these stack up in the area of immersiveness?

I know many gaming headsets limit things like bass so that guns or explosions don't drown out footsteps. Would these be similar sounding?

I ask because I prefer being immersed in the game rather than picking out specific sounds and I am wondering how these would compare.

And I think I'd pay a little extra for a headset designed 3 hours away from me
Old April 15, 2009, 07:35 PM
Allstar

It's not about limiting bass, it's about the quality of the driver and the cup design. This is why many cheapo headphones have almost no mids but crazy booming bass. One small area of the low-frequency will drown out the rest, leaving you with undefined but powerful bass. You can pay a little extra for a good stereo headphone and a Dolby Headphone processor (maybe the one from a good sound card would suffice, and it'd be cheaper). It'll be better than any "5.1" headphones. These Psyko 5.1s MIGHT be better in terms of surround than a standard DH setup, but I can't verify that as I have never tried this set. I am willing to bet that it'll sound like crap in comparison to mid-range audiophile sets for anything else (ie. music), given their reluctance to give us any detailed information about the phones.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old April 15, 2009, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah... for that cash, I'd rather get a set of studio headphones for great music quality... they still kick ass for games...
Old April 15, 2009, 08:26 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G View Post
It's not about limiting bass, it's about the quality of the driver and the cup design. This is why many cheapo headphones have almost no mids but crazy booming bass. One small area of the low-frequency will drown out the rest, leaving you with undefined but powerful bass..
Cup design affecting sound is a given. That's not the only possible outcome of poor cup design, either.

Quote:
You can pay a little extra for a good stereo headphone and a Dolby Headphone processor (maybe the one from a good sound card would suffice, and it'd be cheaper). It'll be better than any "5.1" headphones.
Completely False. Dolby Headphone is G-A-R-B-A-G-E when using high-end phones. It may go great lengths at simulating the PRESENCE of a 5.1 system, enclosed in a box or room, while it never gives true positioning; a true 5.1 set-up will never have that "underwater" sound that Dolby Headphone provides it's users, free of charge.

This is what makes me quite interested in these...there's nothing "fake" in the 5.1 reproduction...the sounds just simply travels different lengths from each speaker to each ear...like in a real 5.1 set-up.

Quote:
These Psyko 5.1s MIGHT be better in terms of surround than a standard DH setup, but I can't verify that as I have never tried this set. I am willing to bet that it'll sound like crap in comparison to mid-range audiophile sets for anything else (ie. music), given their reluctance to give us any detailed information about the phones.
Again, because of the use of multiple REAL drivers, it will come far closer to, say, my living room set-up, than any stereo set, for sure; don't forget there's no processing going on here to "fool" you into hearing 5.1 audio like some other 5.1 sets...

But, I must digress, the quality of the drivers will be a huge factor in these units. However, given that there is nothing else even remotely close to these on the market, adn that there aren't even ready for retail, any "pre-launch" item commands a premium, nevermind a "first-of" product launch premium.

True to life, bringing such products, even to your own hands by yourself, of your own design. on your own cost, is VERY expensive. We all know this...so any comments on price anyone makes is very misplaced. Innovation for the consumer, costs the consumer.
Old April 15, 2009, 08:52 PM
Allstar

I use a dedicated Dolby Headphone processor. It goes a long way for bringing positional audio to a stereo set. A good dedicated processor is amazing when paired with a proper set of headphones. Out of curiosity, which model of processor and which headphones did you use that resulted in garbage sound?

Just because it uses multiple real drivers does not mean it will have better sound. If anything, they are sacrificing driver size to be able to fit them in those awkward spots, albeit not as much as the usual 5.1 sets which place all the drivers in the cup itself. Poor sound quality will have a huge effect on how positional audio is perceived, not to mention the general enjoyment of the headphones.

The only product out there that can actually bring almost-real surround sound to headphones (or so I've been told) is the new Smyth Realiser A8 system, which costs US$3,000 (although it includes a $750 pair of entry-level Stax headphones+amp in that price). Currently looking to see if I can get one without the Stax bundle, but I'm hearing that the current batch is sold out and there's a long waiting list already. Hopefully I'll be able to go over to CanJam 2009 to try it out.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old April 15, 2009, 09:24 PM
Banned
F@H

Prices do not always reflect capability. I wouldn't pay that much for headphone tech...there really is nothing there to justify that sort of cost...

I've tried almost every available Dolby Headphone-capable processor out there, from individual unit, to basic and high-end home theater amps(almost all of which now feature this tech). Great for watching movies at night.

Anyway, teh features offered in high-end stand-alone units don't really differ from what home theatre amps have nowadays...it truly depends on your cans.

Now, there's HOW the comparison is made that's important here, and not what equipment is involved. Anyway, typically I compare using a properly calibrated 7.1 set-up, with the extra 2 channels turned off(dolby headphone doesn't do 7.1), compared to the same track already encoded in dolby headphone, vs dolby stereo.

You gotta love Pearl Harbour. Should be the reference material all compares are made of 5.1...

The fact that you even consider headphones being similar in presence to a 5.1 set-up truly denotes the differences in our tastes...I quickly note the "room" dolby headphone creates with it's "speaker placement"....obviously this is ok for you...but maybe you've never looked for it. You might now though...
Old April 15, 2009, 11:57 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
Prices do not always reflect capability. I wouldn't pay that much for headphone tech...there really is nothing there to justify that sort of cost...

I've tried almost every available Dolby Headphone-capable processor out there, from individual unit, to basic and high-end home theater amps(almost all of which now feature this tech). Great for watching movies at night.

Anyway, teh features offered in high-end stand-alone units don't really differ from what home theatre amps have nowadays...it truly depends on your cans.

Now, there's HOW the comparison is made that's important here, and not what equipment is involved. Anyway, typically I compare using a properly calibrated 7.1 set-up, with the extra 2 channels turned off(dolby headphone doesn't do 7.1), compared to the same track already encoded in dolby headphone, vs dolby stereo.

You gotta love Pearl Harbour. Should be the reference material all compares are made of 5.1...

The fact that you even consider headphones being similar in presence to a 5.1 set-up truly denotes the differences in our tastes...I quickly note the "room" dolby headphone creates with it's "speaker placement"....obviously this is ok for you...but maybe you've never looked for it. You might now though...
You're absolutely right. I didn't mean to imply that headphones are remotely similar to a real 5.1 setup, far from it! And while price doesn't always reflect capability, the SVS system is indeed worth it from what I've read. People who tried it at their booth were astonished. It isn't at all like DH technology, and involves quite a bit of actual calibration for each user; you have to put calibration mics in your ears with an actual home theatre system to set it up, and it includes a head IR tracker as well.

My point is that DH is great when coupled with appropriate 'phones, and is definitely better than any "5.1" set out there. The drivers are too small and too close together to give you any sort of positional audio, and even if they do, the degraded quality renders it inferior to a good stereo set with DH. But, like you said, our tastes may differ. This is something I've learned since getting into headphones, opinions vary WILDLY about things as simple as cables.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief about Psyko for now. I will try it out for myself and then make a judgement, but I'm still concerned that they aren't giving us many details.

And I agree! Pearl Harbor has phenomenal sound. I'm a fan of Black Hawk Down myself for positioning, and The Fifth Element for fidelity -- I love the soundtrack, and Milla Jovovich ain't too bad for calibrating my screen if you know what I mean.
Old April 16, 2009, 06:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to dumb down this thread a bit a the last few posts have gone over my head. Just to be clear this headphone is going to require a 5.1 source. For a computer the source will of course be a sound card and for a home system the 5.1 stereo reciever.? So my question is what does the headphone conector look like? For a PC to get the 5.1 it would be 3.5mm jack one for each speaker right? But if I want to watch a movie on my big old TV my stereo speaker plug into each speaker jack by way of a...well I don't know what it's called but it ain't 3.5 mm jack. So how do I or can I use this with my home system? Will I need to build a HTPC?
Old April 16, 2009, 07:04 PM
Banned
F@H

it's hard to say at this point.

Quote:
There is an powered amplifier included to give you the separate control for sub-woofers volume and master volume.
So it may be possible using this amp w/ HT rca 5.1 output(if your HT amp has 'em), we need more details, which I'm sure will come out in the following months leading up to the release.