Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 22, 2009, 11:58 PM
Rookie

Default There must be processing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Maybe I just overlooked something, but there would obviously have to be some processing involved in order to make these headphones function right. Where does this occur? Is there a controller circuit within the headphones? Or are the speakers just powered by a cluster of cables attached to the standard 5.1 outputs? I'm assuming these headphones would coexist with existing sound cards?
No processing, no drivers, no latency. The physics of the location of the speakers in the headband and the waveguides are everything. There is an powered amplifier included to give you the separate control for sub-woofers volume and master volume.

Any card that puts out the discrete analog 5.1 channels is all that is needed. Set the computer and game settings to 5.1 room speakers and that's it. The computer thinks it is sending the signals to a room system.
Old February 23, 2009, 12:01 AM
Rookie

Default why sound to both ears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
It looks like all the drivers are in the top band, and the "subs" are the only drivers in the "headphone" parts.

So now I have the question of:

Why is each channel connected to both ears? Is this to simulate the wave interaction from seperate speakers in a full 5.1 set-up? Is the length of the tube what would "simulate" a DSP effect?

I am very curious about these cans...they really could offer what no other "5.1" headphone does...I gotta try a set out!(In April?)

I'm Head Psyko at Psyko Audio Labs.

Why tubes to BOTH ears? The short answer is because every sound you normally hear is heard by both ears.

As one example, say there is a gun shot at the rear right speaker in your surround sound system. That sound hits your right ear about 0.5ms before the left ear, it is a bit louder in the right than the left, and the sound flows from behind both ears.

Psyko headphones do exactly the same things. They just take that signal and connect it to the speaker in the headband that is on the rear waveguide. That speaker is an engineered distance from the centerline to reproduce that 0.5ms time difference that would happen from the room speaker. It is also a bit louder in the right ear than the left. Plus the sound flows out from behind both ears out of the waveguide. So the headphones are just doing what a room system does. There is no DSP processing. Any sound card that supports a 5.1 room system with 3.5mm plugs also works with the Psyko 5.1 PC headphones.

Psyko headphones deliver the same effects as a room system so it feels most natural, and you can instantly tell where every sound originates - so better reaction time and better game performance.

Old February 23, 2009, 05:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Great to see you here!! Thanks for responding to our questions.

Since you brought up the fact that the headphones are plugged in the same way as a 5.1 speaker setup via 3.5mm plugs, can we assume that this same system can be further developed for a 7.1 effect sometime in the future?

As was already mentioned, what do you think the majory hurdles are facing a Canadian company in today's market?

For those people out there with stereo setups or those wanting to use these headphones when watching TV, can these headphones work in only stereo mode?

I think many people look at some of the competitor's solutions which use a USB interface and remember issues that past USB-centered headphones have experienced. In which ways will your product be superior to the products sporting a USB interface as opposed to analog connectors?
Old February 23, 2009, 07:56 AM
Allstar

Would these headphones be able to run off a home theater amp?

I need a set to do double duty, and at this price point I cant afford 2 different sets..
Old February 23, 2009, 08:29 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Any reviews of this product yet?
Old February 23, 2009, 08:41 AM

No. ETA is later this spring.
Old February 24, 2009, 09:53 AM
Rookie

Default More on Psyko 5.1 headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Great to see you here!! Thanks for responding to our questions.

Since you brought up the fact that the headphones are plugged in the same way as a 5.1 speaker setup via 3.5mm plugs, can we assume that this same system can be further developed for a 7.1 effect sometime in the future?

As was already mentioned, what do you think the majory hurdles are facing a Canadian company in today's market?

For those people out there with stereo setups or those wanting to use these headphones when watching TV, can these headphones work in only stereo mode?

I think many people look at some of the competitor's solutions which use a USB interface and remember issues that past USB-centered headphones have experienced. In which ways will your product be superior to the products sporting a USB interface as opposed to analog connectors?
7.1?
The technology allows for any number of speakers and layout, even sounds from above and below - but you need a source that provides sounds in those locations. So, yes, 7.1 is possible. It means a new design to allow for the extra 2 speakers.

Canadian company:
All companies have major hurdles. The location you are in provides an environment, like the education levels, entrepreneurial spirit, business culture, a healthy place to live, and Canada provides a great environment. What also matters is the network of people you have - investors, mentors, technology developers, designers, marketing, sales, etc.

Stereo Mode?
Yes they work in stereo mode. The more stereo separation your music has the more benefit from Psyko headphones. Some music is almost mono so it won't show off the Psyko headphones much. This first version of Psyko Gaming headphones is really tuned for the directionality of the 5.1 and gaming so we haven't really focused on music yet.

USB interface?
The USB headphone systems I've seen created a simulated surround sound and didn't really do much for me. What is your experience with them?

However, there are good USB sound cards that put out solid 5.1 analog output and they are great to use with our headphones. Our headphones really work just like a room system so a good 5.1 sound source is needed. A bad sound source means a bad experience whether it is a room system or Psyko headphones.

Last edited by Head_Psyko; February 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: forgot one of the questions
Old February 24, 2009, 10:02 AM
Banned
F@H

So what you are really saying is that you are really providing 5.1, closer that anyone else...you've put the audio "sweetspot" at each ear...

But there's a sub in each ear? So is it really 5.2, or is the bass filtered by crossover from each channel and duplicated equally on each side?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know when these are available..I'm very eager to try 'em out.
Old February 24, 2009, 11:16 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiXT View Post
Can they provide free samples for HWC members so we can hear for ourselves and spread the word :P
This.
Old February 24, 2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head_Psyko View Post
The USB headphone systems I've seen created a simulated surround sound and didn't really do much for me. What is your experience with them?
If I write down what I feel about USB headphones, the forum swear filter would probably block half my response.

Let's just say that I have yet to encounter a set I feel are even worthy of retail space. Maybe the new Logitech ones will turn things around though...