Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2009, 05:03 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Hi everyone. I know the last comment is from April but it doesn't matter. I bought these yesterday at BestBuy, price-matched at 274$ so they did it to me for 270$ + 13% Tax. I only bought it there so I could get the (30 days money back warrenty) as it's much cheaper to pricematch on NCIX and get 5% Tax only.

I was afraid that there would be too much bass, mostly since it's an hip hop artist and that its a closed-design but I'll have to test few more days before being able to give a clearer opinion about the sound quality. I don't know if burning them for 50 houres will change anything for the sound and I doubt it. I think it's more a matter of getting used to the sound. One sure thing is that you cannot use any EQ on ur iPod or it will sounds worse. If only the (Boost Treble/Reduce Bass) preset wouldn't do it too much, it would be just perfect as there's a tad too much bass to my liking unless I'm too used to my HD555 which I have since I think 2.5 years already.

They say in the booklet that it has been designed on the iPod or at least that its recommended to use them with the (Sound Check) activated to normalize the sound.. however I haven't noticed any diffrence with it activated. The noise-canceling does it's job really well to cut the outside sounds, if not even too well. The noise from the speed-boat was extremly reduced and I would almost no more hear the wind and the water ripple around me. I even got suprised when a guy came beside me as I usualy hear both my music and the stuff around me with the HD555. Sure it can be annoying sometimes to hear other stuff but I just avoid as much vehicules as I can when I do bike and I like to be aware of my surrounding. Even without the noise-canceling it blocks the sound really good so the "mute button" gets kind of useless even if it's a very nice idea as you'll hear much better if you take off ur headphone than if you just press the mute button. I'll get back on the noise-canceling later.

Also since it's a closed-design, not only does your ear will heat up much more (today it felt like 36C outside) so it was breathing much less than on my Sennheiser even if they say the leather is "breathable"... but the sound is also diffrent and maybe that's what I'll need to get use to the Monster Beats before starting to appreciate these headphones over my open HD555. Oh and ain't it ****** annoying when you have a closed headphone that really stick on ur head? I can feel/hear EVERY vibrations from the sidewalk when being on a bike, going "off road" such as in the grass.. and when I walk my footsteps feels like if I was a giant. I sure do hear my music more but I wonder if I'd not rather hear some other annoyance too such as cars, wind... than feeling every of those vibrations.

Back to the bass, its indeed very good for music who requires bass but as for metal hmm... sometimes it's so-so while sometimes it seems better than on my Sennheiser so I'll have to test longer. For example it seemed worse on (Threat Signal) but better on all but one song from (Sybreed). One sure thing is that it sounds much much better than the HD555 if you use no EQ or a flat one. Talking about this, I really wonder wtf is the diffrence between no EQ or Flat EQ... anyway, so that's why I must keep the "Rock" EQ on my iPod Classic 80Gb when I test on the HD555 or else it's just horrible.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

So I've tryed a while the Monsters again yesterday night, here's my second impression on comparing them to the HD555:
1- First thing I quickly noticed is that OMFG they are so unconfortable! I'm far from being like Eric Cartman, I have a "narrow" face and these really squeeze on me and my jaw hurts rather quickly clearly within 30min. I don't know if it was only for this reason why I started having an headache or if it was also because of the "closed design" which I feel like I'm on another world since I barrely hear anything at all other than my music. You know.. that strange feeling when being under water? It just doesn't feel natural. Then when I would go back to the Sennheiser after a few minutes of being with the Monster Beats, I'd almost get a boner since it was sooo much more confortable.

2- Why the heck didn't Dre let us activate the noise-canceling only when we want to? I don't need to waste batteries while I'm only at home with no other noise around me. Also the constant humming is so loud and annoying, not just when you pause ur music but there's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY to listen at calm music such as instrumental piano as even if you'll get the volume quite loud you'll still notice the humming. It's a real pain to tolerate the humming at all time, not to forget that sometimes the humming does a high pitched noise for no reason.

3- Overpriced even once price-matched at 274. Really even if they look great and that the sound is alright.. I don't think I could handle these unconfortable cans with the annoying noise-canceling for long-term.. mostly not for the price so I'll prolly get my money back and stay with the Sennheiser HD555.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Out subject: Are you guy saying that the same 192kbps track will sound much better on a Cowon, Samsung or SanDisc, than on any iPod. If so then why? On the 3 mp3 player I tryed, here's what I would say about the sound:
#1 = Creative Zen Vision:M 30Gb (The only mp3 player that would allow you to customize ur own EQ in order to have it perfect for the headphone you use. Unfortunately Creative was so retarded that they discontinued and never made a thin 80-120Gb version like Apple).
#2 = iPod Classic 80Gb (Sounds quite good with the Rock EQ on my HD555 and it looks good without EQ on the Monster Beats)
#3 = Microsoft Zune (A true joke. An mp3 player without any treble/bass adjustement... neither without any EQ so ur stuck with a terrible sound no matter what)

Also does the frequency range have anything to do with the sound quality, as I've heard a few time that the human ear cannot hear anything below 20Hz or above 20Khz. As for the Ohm, what's the diffrence with say.. 50 and 300 Ohm?
20Hz - 20Khz (Monster Beats)
15Hz - 28Khz (Sennheiser HD555)
Old August 15, 2009, 06:00 PM

My System Specs

I've never used 'The Beats' before but you'll get use to the pressure of the headphones in a few weeks. My M-Audio Q40's did the same thing. They were very tight and I could only wear them for about half hour at a time before my jaw was too soar. Fast forward a year and I love them and can wear them for hours.
Complete
Forever Alone Complete
Old August 15, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerIV
Also does the frequency range have anyhting ot do with the sound quality, as I've heard a few time that the human ear cannot hear anything below 20Hz or above 20Khz. As for the Ohm, what's the diffrence with say.. 50 and 300 Ohm?
20Hz - 20Khz (Monster Beats)
15Hz - 28Khz (Sennheiser HD555)
Those frequencies are general guidelines towards what frequencies people can hear. Some people are more sensitive than others. Furthermore, even if the frequency is technically beyond a person's range of hearing, it can still colour the music in subtle ways.

The ohm-rating of the headphones is the headphone's rated impedance, or how hard it is to push current through them. Sometimes, a higher impedance is a sign that the headphone is harder to drive, which can mean trouble for players with weak outputs.
Old October 7, 2009, 02:11 PM
Trial Member

People should look up Denon AH D2000. Its at a similar price range and WAAAAAYY better. Beats has too much bass. Denon's sound much more balanced, though a lot of audiophiles still consider them slgihtly bass heavy. As for comfort, you wont find a more comfortable headphone than the Denon 2000's, unless you grab its big brothers the D5000 or D7000. But youd be looking at $500 at least. You have to remember that after an hour or so of having headphones on your head, that clampin pressure really makes a difference. Sometimes your ears feel squeezed and sensetive after takin them off. Trust me, you dont want to trick yourself into thinking that theyll be comfortable after only trying them out for 5 mins.

Also, remember the original reviews comments in saying that you do need a good DAC for any higher end headphones. built in audio from the motherboard just cant do a good enough job of converting digital to analogue, as well as does not supply enough power to obtain the full potential of your headphones.
Old October 8, 2009, 08:23 AM
Top Prospect

I’m new to these forums but I could not resist the opportunity to sound off on Dr. Dre’s The Beats by Dr. Dre. I should first say that they look nice (if you’re into that sort of thing), and sound great. That said, there’s only a select few I would recommend them to.

When I think of headphone consumers I think of them as a combination of three continua: price, looks, and sound quality. On the lowest extreme there are those who don’t care at all about looks or sound quality, and are price conscious; they’ll be using their included iPod earphones and getting ear damage. On the other extreme, there are those who care for nothing else but looks and sound quality, and are price unconscious; they’ll be using their GS1000s and.. creeping me out a little actually.

The problem with Dr. Dre’s The Beats by Dr. Dre is that it doesn’t really appeal to any niche. Those with a lot to spend and a high desire for sound quality might not consider them because they’re not amongst the best performers in their price range (in my opinion). Those who would be turned on to The Beats must: be willing to spend a bit, be interested in their looks (like it or not they are an instantly recognisable status symbol), and have a high but not imperative desire for sound quality. But even amongst those few I think there are better options. For example the MS 400 by Phiaton looks and sounds better, and is around the same price.

Anyways, this is just my opinion. I’m by no means an audiophile but I enjoy audio equipment. For the record, I do own a pair of Beats – I rarely use them now because of the AAA batteries.
Old January 7, 2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

if anyone needs some beats studio phones I got a barley used set for sale.... pm me!
Old January 9, 2010, 05:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

After giving these a test at my local Future Shop, I have to say they have good sound quality to them. But the sound quality, to me, certainly isn't good enough to warrant the price :/ I have to say the pictures you see on the advertisements make that pair of headphones look really buff -- however, in person, they seem a little flimsy...
Old January 9, 2010, 05:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by edisleado View Post
After giving these a test at my local Future Shop, I have to say they have good sound quality to them. But the sound quality, to me, certainly isn't good enough to warrant the price :/ I have to say the pictures you see on the advertisements make that pair of headphones look really buff -- however, in person, they seem a little flimsy...
If you aren't listening to them hooked up to a high quality sound card or another proper device that can output high quality sound, duh they're not worth the money..

ipods sound terrible, no matter what headphones you use with them. If that's what you tested them with at FS, no wonder..

These cans hooked up to a prelude, sound incredible.
Old March 1, 2010, 11:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

Sorry for reviving this thread for the fifth time. But i just got a BNIB pair for $200. Im debating keeping them or throwing them up on ebay and making a bit of money.
I dont really listen to music so i will only be using them for gaming. How are they for direction sound (Read: hearing footsteps in mw2 ;))
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe | CPU: i7 940 | Ram: 3x2 GB | HSF: CM V8 | GPU: HD 6950 | PSU: PCP&C 750W | ]HDD: WD 500gb x3, 120GB Vertex 2 | Case: Antec 1200 | Monitor: 3x Asus VE247H | OS: Win7 Ultimate x64
My Trading Rep:
HWC
OCN
Heat
Ebay

Old March 2, 2010, 02:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have the studio version (only version that makes sense?) and they're pretty well like most other headphones would be for directional sound. That's mostly dependent on your sound card (X-Fi CMSS 3-D)