Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2009, 11:16 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default New Heaphones, may my old ones rest in peace.

Well, my old crappy pair is currently hanging together with a mix of superglue, ductape, and luck. So, before they finally fall apart and go to the large tech pile in the sky, I'm trying to find a replacement.

Speaking budget, I would rather keep it under the $200 mark, which is why I thought "Hey, HD555's (being able to price match down to 155) plus a Zalman ZM-MIC 1 would be perfect!", but, of course their is always a but, NCIX has them as special order, and honestly, paying for shipping on that single item from somewhere else just seems painful.

I've seen some people recomend the PC350's, but they are seriously a good $60 more, and I've heard very mixed reviews about them

Any idea's anyone? Before I'm stuck superglue'ing and ductaping my current headphones to my ears?

Old February 16, 2009, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What type of headphones do you want? On-ear, around ear. Open back, or closed back (noise cancelling...)

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
i5 4690K @ 4.5GHZ
SLI GTX 670 FTW
8GB GSkill Ripjaws X 2133MHZ CL10
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 240GB Patriot Blaze SSD RAID0 :)
Lenovo P24q 24" IPS 2560x1440

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block x 2, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
Allstar
F@H

Honestly, any of them are good, well, as long as they are comfy that is.

Old February 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

AKG K171 MKII Woooot.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z87-G45 Gaming
i5 4690K @ 4.5GHZ
SLI GTX 670 FTW
8GB GSkill Ripjaws X 2133MHZ CL10
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 240GB Patriot Blaze SSD RAID0 :)
Lenovo P24q 24" IPS 2560x1440

Benq W1070 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block x 2, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old February 16, 2009, 12:49 PM
Allstar

I love my Audio Technica A700's - they sound awesome! You can pick them up for ~$100.00 used and they apparently destroy the HD555's and are equivalent, if not better than the HD595's.

I'd also suggest getting this amp, because it works wonders and fits in your budget: More Information About The Portable Headphone Amplifier
Old February 16, 2009, 02:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

I prefer not to buy headphones and the such used, especially high quality sets, it's one of those "OH LOOK THE WIRE BROKE LAWL NO HELP FOR YOU" incidents waiting to happen.

As for those AKG's, they look pretty decent. Quite tempted to grab a pair once I look into them more (albeit probably not from the site you gave me :O).

But if I did go that route, I would still need to grab a cheap mic. Dunno, the Zalman ZM-MIC 1 seems pretty good, but it's either overpriced or I have to order it from that States, or I suppose the Logitech USB Silver Desktop don't sound half bad, though some people say it works great, while others are completely smashing the thing. D:

Old February 16, 2009, 03:28 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
I prefer not to buy headphones and the such used, especially high quality sets, it's one of those "OH LOOK THE WIRE BROKE LAWL NO HELP FOR YOU" incidents waiting to happen.

As for those AKG's, they look pretty decent. Quite tempted to grab a pair once I look into them more (albeit probably not from the site you gave me :O).

But if I did go that route, I would still need to grab a cheap mic. Dunno, the Zalman ZM-MIC 1 seems pretty good, but it's either overpriced or I have to order it from that States, or I suppose the Logitech USB Silver Desktop don't sound half bad, though some people say it works great, while others are completely smashing the thing. D:
You just have to deal with the right people when buying used. I've bought my PC components used ever since I've started overclocking, and I have yet to encounter a bad experience. The same went for the headphones and amp I purchased online a few months ago.

Here's a picture of my setup to give you an idea of what it looks like:

Old February 16, 2009, 03:30 PM
MVP
F@H

Wait for March... Logitech G15 headset Logitech announces handful of G-Series PC gaming accessories | CES 2009 - CNET Blogs

Looks to be a BIG winner.
RIG #1 - Intel E8400 // TRU-X 120 w noctua NF-P12 // GA-X38-DQ6 // GTX285 OC // 8g Ram OCZ Fatal1ty PC8500 // X-Fi Elite Pro sound // z-5500 speakers // OCZ 850w Gamer XTream PSU // WD Raptor 150g // Seagate 1Tb // 2xSeagate 500g ex// Logitec G-15 keyboard // Vista Ultimate 64bit
RIG #2 - AMD64 3500+ // Asus A8N-E // 8800GTS 512 OC // Enermax Liberty SLI 500W Modular PSU // WD Caviar 250g

Old February 16, 2009, 03:56 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
Well, my old crappy pair is currently hanging together with a mix of superglue, ductape, and luck. So, before they finally fall apart and go to the large tech pile in the sky, I'm trying to find a replacement.

Speaking budget, I would rather keep it under the $200 mark, which is why I thought "Hey, HD555's (being able to price match down to 155) plus a Zalman ZM-MIC 1 would be perfect!", but, of course their is always a but, NCIX has them as special order, and honestly, paying for shipping on that single item from somewhere else just seems painful.

I've seen some people recomend the PC350's, but they are seriously a good $60 more, and I've heard very mixed reviews about them

Any idea's anyone? Before I'm stuck superglue'ing and ductaping my current headphones to my ears?
Get HD555 from Dell.ca for $129, they go on sale about once a month. $155 is their regular price and always free express shipping.
Old February 16, 2009, 03:56 PM
Allstar
F@H

Honestly, I don't even have an amp for my Cowon D2+Audeo PFE's, I really don't feel inclined to buy/make one just for my PC :P

And the G15's, well, truthfully, it sounds very gimmicky.