Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 12:35 PM
Rookie

Default Digital Audio only has 2 channel

The Asus D2X that I am using is only allowing 2 channel audio through the digital output. The card is decoding dolby 5.1 when playing a movie through dvd, but when playing a game or other contents with a 5.1 channel audio, the receiver is getting dolby and then reverts back to pcm and then to dolby, this keeps on happening every second (it goes back and forth every second). The receiver works when connected thru analog and when watching a surround movie thru dvd.

Right now i am trying to play a game and is having the same issue (back and forth (dolby and linear pcm) every second, so sound is choppy)

any help?
Old February 12, 2009, 12:37 PM
Banned
F@H

I've had my D2X for many months now...what reciever are you using?

What driver do you have installed?

Optical or coaxial digital?

I've not run into this issue myself...

Is the power plugged in the card?

What mobo/bios?
Old February 12, 2009, 12:56 PM
Rookie

the latest driver for the audio card, 6.12.8.1747 and the audio center 0.2.3.11, i downloaded it last week

the bios is also teh lates for my mb, its a asus p5q-e and i updated my bios last week as well

the power is plugged in for the card, i checked

its optical digital

my receiver is a bit old, more than 6 yrs if i had to guess, but ya, around that. its a jvc rx-6042 receiver.

the problem is only when using a surround source (except a dvd), not a dual channel and the receiver emulates surround through pro logic 2 when it is a dual channel source .
Old February 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Banned
F@H

It may be an issue between your stereo and the card outputting a higher bitrate than what your stereo can decode...

I do beleive that your stereo has 5.1 analogue inputs, so using those(and the cables that came with the card) might be your best option.

I am using the same driver without any issues, so I doubt it's the driver itself, and given your reported problems, it seems confined to specific audio...maybe your stereo can only decode 16bit/96khz?

I'll dig into this some more, and see what I come up with...
Old February 12, 2009, 01:15 PM
Rookie

thanks for the fast reply cadaveca

the front label says it supports dts 96/24, but i am not sure if it is only for dts tho. i will try reducing the output from 48/24 to something lower and c if it works.
Old February 12, 2009, 01:16 PM
Banned
F@H

Yes, I do think it's DTS only....DTSConnect works pretty good though, so you could also try just switching to DTS in the Xonar CP, and see if that helps...DTS is a better CODEC anyway(at least in my opinion).
Old February 12, 2009, 01:33 PM
Rookie

still no use, changed the audio output to 2 channel 44/16 (every option i get under advanced tab for the digital output is 2 channel and then bit and hertz goes up). on xonar cp, check mark on spdif out and selected dts interactive and dolby live, but no use as well, same problem. on the receiver, manually changed to take only dolby, no use and i also changed to take only dts but i still have the same problem (both are digital in)
Old February 12, 2009, 02:00 PM
Banned
F@H

HAve you tried a coaxial cable instead of optical?

Otherwise, I'm at a loss as to why you are having these issues, becuase you shouldn't, AFAIK.
Old February 12, 2009, 02:20 PM
Rookie

i dont have a digital audio cable, is it same as the rca audio cables or is it something different? also, in control panel, when you go into sounds>digital output properties> advanced tab, do you get an option that lets you select more than 2 channel? mine doesnt.
Old February 12, 2009, 02:38 PM
Banned
F@H

NO, I do not have any more options than you do in windows cp...use the Xonar CP, and it overrides anything in the Windows CP.

And yes, a regular RCA cable will work...I'm using one now...