Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Headphones purchase help !

Hi,

I am in the market for new headphones. Budget wise I am looking at something of HD555 level, but since my computer is in the family room and the girlfriend could be around while I am using them, the fact that they are open ear cans is not good.

any other suggestion ?

I will be using them for gaming and or music/movie.

I saw the HD350 , but the mike seems to be in the way.

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old February 12, 2009, 03:46 PM
Top Prospect

Trust me the HD555's are awesome. Even though they are open style the noise from them won't bother any body unless you listen at ridiculously loud levels. That being said if you really want great closed ear headphones then I suggest you check out the Beyerdynamic DT 770 M, they are outstanding but retail for about $250-300, which is more than the $200 HD555 from Sennheiser. If you're set on spending $200 or less, especially since the HD555's can be had from Dell.ca for $129 regularly then I'd look at either the Beyerdynamic DT250 which sell for around $170-200 or the Audio Technicia ATH-M50S (the ATH-M50 is same price but has coiled cable, not straight) which can be found for around $140-180. If you want to stick with Sennheiser the RS-146 or RS-140 are wireless and are closed type and produce a similar sound to the HD555, although I perfer the HD555 quite a bit, and regualrly hit dell.ca at $179.

You'll be happy with any of those, trust me. Give the open HD555 a try before deciding to go closed for sure. I prefer the sound of open headphones, they sound more speaker like and I find they typically let more external sound in then they let out. I've used all the headphones I mentioned but purchased the HD555 for my personal use.

I should also mention that if you want these strictly for PC and would like to use a microphone for online games the Sennheiser PC350 headset is amazing and retails around $200. It uses closed type headphones and sounds great. Easily the best PC headset I've experienced. My biggest gripe with it is that the microphone isn't detactible but if that isn't an issue you should seriously consider them.

Last edited by NightRain; February 12, 2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old February 12, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The SR80's should be in your budget. Add in a zalman mic and your set .
Excellent sound.

Grado Labs, Inc.
Old February 12, 2009, 06:42 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
The SR80's should be in your budget. Add in a zalman mic and your set .
Excellent sound.

Grado Labs, Inc.
SR80's are awesome. I still prefer the look, style and sound of the HD555's though. I didn't mention Grado's, if I did it would be the SR125's, because of this request for closed headphones, Grado's are open style.
Old February 12, 2009, 06:49 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
Hi,

I am in the market for new headphones. Budget wise I am looking at something of HD555 level, but since my computer is in the family room and the girlfriend could be around while I am using them, the fact that they are open ear cans is not good.

any other suggestion ?

I will be using them for gaming and or music/movie.

I saw the HD350 , but the mike seems to be in the way.
I'd buy a set of the Audio Technica A700's:

Audio-Technica - Microphones, headphones, wireless microphone systems, noise-cancelling headphones & more : ATH-A700 : Closed-back Dynamic Headphones

I know it has a MSRP of $300.00, but you can find them cheap like I did. I snagged a set of gently used ones for $100.00 CAD shipped. I've listened to both the HD555's and the A700's, and I find that Audio Technica are MUCH better.

If you can afford it, try getting a portable amplifier, such as the PA2V2 for best results.