Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2009, 07:51 PM
Trial Member

Default Auzentech Prelude versus Asus Xonar D2X? (X-Fi vs C-Media Oxygen HD)

Hi,

I could need a little help with deciding which one of the Asus Xonar D2X and the Auzentech Prelude is the best audio card?

Actually I currently got a Prelude card, but was shocked when I experienced that the mic-in is simply ruined? After a quick google search and a short e-mail to Auzen it seems like this mic-in issue is a well-know problem not being solved?!

I'm quite pleased with my Prelude card, but because of this mic-in issue I have to consider RMA it and get me another card!

But is there really any better card out there?
Perhaps the Asus Xonar D2X might be that superior card?

I'm running a 7.1 analouge speaker system, as well as a pair of Sennheiser PC 350 headset! So I guess there is no real reason for paying more for the Asus Xonar HDAV1.3 Deluxe compared with the D2X as the entire HDMI input / output is something I'll never use?

So how is the Xonar D2X compared with the Auzentech Prelude?
After reading some reviews on the web, my impression is that the Xonar D2X got overall better sound qualitiy and simply is superior in almost every way beside of gaming? Is this correct? I guess this is because of the C-Media Oxygen HD audio processor being superior to the Creative X-Fi audio processor? Besides the lack of EAX5.0 which makes the Prelude superior when it comes to gaming?

But lately the Xonar D2X also got EAX5.0 through the Asus DS3D GX emulation?
I read a review that compared the DS3D GX 2.0 and EAX5.0, and it seems like the Xonar D2X is indeed getting the same benefits and matching the X-Fi in gaming? Now we've even got DS3D GX 2.5, which I guess makes the emulation on the Xonar card even better? And as Vista is kinda destroying the whole EAX thing, I guess that EAX is not really that much of a benefit for the X-Fi anymore? At least not when the Xonar D2X seems to be emulating the EAX5.0 features perfectly, and that's without the need for that crappy Creative Alchemy thing?!

Does this mean that Xonar D2X is more or less on-pair with the X-Fi cards like the Prelude even when it comes to gaming? Is there any reason left to pick the Prelude then?

There are a few more differences than just EAX, we've got things like CMSS-3D, 32 bit crystalizer and X-RAM?

Well, Asus Xonar D2X got Dolby Headphones, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Virtual Speaker and stuff like that? How is those features compared with what the X-Fi and Prelude has to offer?

After what I've heared CMSS-3D is perfered when it comes to gaming over Dolby Headphones? On the other hand Dolby Headphones is perferd when it comes to movies? This makes me wonder whether it really was the CMSS-3D feature itself being superior to the Dolby Headphones in gaming, or if it was because of EAX5.0 CMSS-3D feels better? All cards supporting CMSS-3D also got EAX5.0, so I guess all people using CMSS-3D got EAX5.0 activated, which might explain the superior feeling when playing games compared with Dolby Headphones? Might it be that CMSS-3D without EAX isn't that much better than Dolby Headphones in gaming? Might Dolby Headphones even be better than CMSS-3D if you deactivate EAX? What about Dolby Headphones with DS3D GX 2.5 running? Might it be on-pair or even better than CMSS-3D with EAX?

I also guess that Dolby Pro Logic IIx is a massive benefit for me running 7.1 speakers? As it's really the only decent working upmix feature for fixing 2.0 / 2.1 / 5.1 sources into 7.1? CMSS-3D doesn't work for this at all! Isn't that right?

So what do you think is the best choice between the Asus Xonar D2X (C-Media Oxygen HD) and Auzentech Prelude (X-Fi)? Which got the best features and best sound quality? And now that Asus have managed to emulate EAX5.0 within their drivers, is there really anything that is superior with the Prelude compared to the Xonar D2X?
What about CMSS-3D versus Dolby Headphones? The benefit of Dolby Pro Logic IIx etcc..?
Old February 9, 2009, 07:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well I cant help youw ith your questions, have you tried using your on-board sound for the MIC?

I have a prelude as well and the mic is borked to (its very very quiet) I just use my onboards mic in and my prelude for sound and it works perfect.
Old March 14, 2009, 08:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragenrok View Post
Well I cant help youw ith your questions, have you tried using your on-board sound for the MIC?

I have a prelude as well and the mic is borked to (its very very quiet) I just use my onboards mic in and my prelude for sound and it works perfect.

Did you enable +20 boost for mic in volume mixer (recording devices) 1.1 drivers are out btw..
Old March 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
HaDeS

Xonar DX2 is junk... i tried both of their versions and it WILL NOT RUN GAMES without crashing the computer or hardlocking it. It uses its fake EAX and it fails. If you are only doing movies and music its slightly better than the prelude. I have the prelude and I love it for every application.

EAX5.0 is the shit... and unfortunately creative invented it so you need a creative chip to really take full advantage. Auzentech fortunately made the XFI work flawlessly imo.
Old March 14, 2009, 03:19 PM
Rookie

I take it the DX is rubbish then
Old March 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I really think the Prelude is as good as it gets for consumer computer sound cards right now. I love mine! With the September 2008 there was a noticeable improvement in sound quality plus now you can output DTS Neo through analog, too.

The February 2009 drivers are excellent too but I think they just fixed bugs. Speaking of instability or bugs, the Prelude has been bug-free for me since last summer. I have not had a crash or freeze due it.
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old March 14, 2009, 04:36 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaDeS View Post
Xonar DX2 is junk... i tried both of their versions and it WILL NOT RUN GAMES without crashing the computer or hardlocking it. It uses its fake EAX and it fails. If you are only doing movies and music its slightly better than the prelude. I have the prelude and I love it for every application.

EAX5.0 is the shit... and unfortunately creative invented it so you need a creative chip to really take full advantage. Auzentech fortunately made the XFI work flawlessly imo.
I had teh exact opposite experience...X-Fi was garbage, D2X works perfectly. But you admit it'sa better card...just not in XP, for games...in XP the prelude wins in games hands-down. Vista I'm not too sure about.

I hate ASUS, personally, but I'm reluctant to NOT recommend the D2X, as my experience with it has been VERY good.

Mevermind teh hassle of getting EAX to work in Vista in the first place...but quite obviously you aren't in Vista, and maybe that explains the differences in our experiences.
Old March 14, 2009, 06:28 PM
Rookie

EAX works dam fine in Vista with Prelude.. i no i own both 32/64bit ..
Old March 14, 2009, 06:46 PM
Banned
F@H

Not for all titles...anyway, that's besides the point(ALchemy is not perfect yet, but has come far since it's release)...when it comes to Vista, OpenAL will replace EAX anyway(EAX is converted to OpenAL calls as it is anyway), so basing a purchase on EAX is not forward-thinking.

So, in the end, the only feature that makes the any X-FI card better for gaming is an out-dated one. Soon Creative will either have to release something entirely new, or face competition that is just as capable...or better.
Old March 14, 2009, 07:16 PM
Rookie

It will not work for all Titles that is obvious .. anyway Alcamy has not been updated since first release ..