Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2007, 08:13 AM
Allstar

There will be a major lineup for this card. Everybody seems to want one.
Should be a very,very nice sounding card. Well, Classic Leon said his Crew may have a hand in creating some improved drivers. AlA' Youp Pax Modded drivers. I seriously doubt they will release the card with bum drivers. This is Auzen NOT Creative. This is gonna be one nice card for everybody...it's about time we get cards built for sound quality.

Last edited by Robscix; June 1, 2007 at 08:17 AM.
Old June 1, 2007, 11:09 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Now with any luck they will not gouge us with stupid pricing. Their cards have been spendy when that is really not needed considering the sound coming from value cards like mine is nearly identical when using hte digital outputs. My card costs less than half what the Meridian does, yet my card is definitely a direct competitor with it.
Old June 1, 2007, 12:44 PM
Allstar

Most cards sound the same when compared for Digital connection becasue the device your connecting the card to is the same. The main feature on the X-Meridian is the phenomial analog quality. This card has NO competitors in the same price range for quality. The Prelude will be a contender for sure.
The Auzen Prelude has been designed with analog quality as a major feature. Given the design considerations, this card uses high quality LM4562 and OPA2134. They are some of the best Opamps available. The card has digital features but I would say analog will be it's strong point. I think you will be looking at $200 that is comparable to the price I paid for my X-Meridian 7.1 and given the sound quality of this card, it is worth every peeny. They have budget version of this card, they are called "X-fi's" They are making this card to be the best card there is for basically everything there is, so it the featuers will be reflected in the price, but you get what you pay for. I would easily buy a X-Meridian again.

Last edited by Robscix; June 2, 2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old June 1, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ah but to me, Analog = something I will never use. In fact, that is why I will never buy a Creative card (besides the crap drivers). All I do care about is the digital. I do expect to pay more since they are using the X-FI chipset. As long as it outputs DDL/DTS like the current high end cards, $200 is a figure I can live with to get all my games to work perfectly.
Old June 2, 2007, 07:21 AM
Allstar

There are lots of guys that go purely digital. It is all a matter of what you connect you card to. The Sondigo is a good card aswell. Dolby Digital is said to be included. DTS may be added at a later time.
Old June 2, 2007, 07:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well, DDL will be good enough, but that will effect the price range I am willing to spend. Digital is the future, Analog needs to die off a horrible death. If this card does not output DDL digitally, then I will pass. We don't need another X-FI made by a high end company, we need a great soundcard that uses the X-FI chipset and whatever chipset needed for DDL. I am starting to think this card will use software DDL that will gobble up CPU cycles. Even my Sondigo uses the CPU and it is a hardware DDL/DTS encoder. I hope they do it right........

PS: If they don't ship with DTS, there won't be a way to upgrade later, unless it is software which would be horrible.
Old June 2, 2007, 08:46 AM
Allstar

HDMI 1.3 is coming for this card aswell. That entails Dolby Digital HD and DTS HD among others. I prefer analog becasue if you buy a great card it has great analog sound. If your digital gear is lacking you can never get away from it unless you buy new gear;) You are right though I wish we did have more digital systems to work with. The ones we do have are low quality -speaker systems etc. This is why I usually prefer to go Analog. If the gear is good the gear is good doesn't matter if it is A or D....
Really, the X-Meridian was reviewed and the DD/DTS encoder has little CPU hit at all.
BTW, There were quite a few guys who bought the X-meridian for Digital usage BUT they quickly found the cards analog prowess easily beat their digital gear. If you get a Prelude I would suggest you check out both connections and make up your mind based on those tests.

Last edited by Robscix; June 2, 2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old June 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I agree the Meridian does well with little CPU hit, my soundcard uses the same chipset and pretty much performs the same digitally. I don't doubt that this card can pass through DDL/DTS, I want onboard encoding of DDL/DTS since I would consider my Z-680's atleast good quality as for digital sound. Analog just has no place for me since there is some background noise, no matter how little it is, that comes with analog. Plus, analog does not do DDL/DTS. Digital is better than analog, there is no way you or anyone else could ever convince me otherwise. Again, I have no doubt the Meridian is THE BEST analog card. I have no doubt Auzentech makes great cards (I have owned the X-Mystique and loved it).

If the Prelude is a true digital encoding card, even if it is only DDL, I will buy one. I realize I am a small minority. I am also not trying to downtalk a card that is not released, that isn't fair. All I am saying is that if this card is basically a high end X-FI without proper digital support, it isn't for me.

Creative doesn't make good soundcards, they make OK gaming soundcards. I am willing to trade off gaming prowess for better sound. Plus, the issue of proper drivers is something else I would like to hear more about. If this card relies on the garbage creative calls a driver set, then we can expect 5-7 background processes like Creative loves to stick on our PC's. Again, I am willing to wait for some official specs/news before I judge. I just want you to realize that I am not sitting here looking for reasons NOT to buy this card. Plus, as I said, I realize I am part of a very small minority that has very specific tastes and needs from my soundcard.

Please keep updating this thread with official news/specs because it is one of the very few I can find that is offering me any info at all that is useful!

PS: Exactly which chipset is this card using to encode DDL? C-Media is one of the few that does it right and I only see the X-FI chipset on there and we all know that one cannot do that.

Last edited by b1lk1; June 2, 2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old June 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
Allstar

It can be done driver level. I would say the 20KX dsp chip has the power needed to encode Dolby Digital. You have to pay Dolby for the feature. I am unsure how they will be implementing the technology.

The Digital signal has to be converted back to analog no matter how you look at it. The DAC's opamps and filtering circuits on the cards is most likely ALOT better then the DAC's in the speaker system or receiver for that matter. I am not trying to convince you of anything. These are my opinions of what I like. If the D to A circuitry in your speakers sound better then the D to A circuitry in the soundcard use it. The XM has better D to A then alot of gear, receivers, amps, standalone DAC and processors. This has been tested by alot of people. The Prelude will have similar circuitry. Alot of people want fully digital system. There still must be the conversion process either your card does it or the device you connect your card to does the job. Use the one that sounds the best.

I will keep the thread up to date.

Last edited by Robscix; June 2, 2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old June 2, 2007, 01:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
As long as they make good XP drivers I'm buying it. There is no doubt in my mind.
Yeah i'd be interested in it as well. Depends on when it's released!

Oh and Welcome to the forums classic leon! Always great to have a British around
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14