Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2009, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 7.1 Gamer Headsets

This year has some interesting advancements in headphones.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/ga.../5095&cl=us,en
Logitech is making a new release to their 'G' series by bringing us comsumers the G35 surround sound headset. Release date is Q1 and rumours floating around say late feb early march. Logitech has released some very good gaming products in the past including the G15 keyboard and the G9 mouse which I am currently using and can vouch for. They are also planning on releasing a new version of the G15 and G9 this quarter as well. The price of the G35 doesn't seem too bad at $130 MSRP. I am not an audiophile and can't tell much from one technical spec to the next, but I do appreciate good sound quality. If we can use logitech's past products as a comparison of quality then this headset will definately be a product to watch for.

Razer | For Gamers. By Gamers?. | Razer Megalodon 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Razer has been releasing good quality gaming headsets for the last two years or so. From past experience with the Razer Barracuda AC-1 / HP-1 IAS I can say they do put out a great (not perfect) surround sound for games. Although the music experience was not as great as I've had from other headphones and mine broke after 6 months of use, a screw fell inside the right earphone so I could hear the screw shaking around inside and had to hold it on with tape (its still under warranty will have to see how that goes). The new Megalodon is also a lot less expensive as well (the Barracuda was $300 the Megalodon is less than half that). For the moment I can only speculate at what to expect from Razer; but I will be watching this product as closely as I'm watching the Logitech headset.

Information - SteelSeries
Although I don't really know anything about this product, just throwing it out there for a comparison.
Old January 29, 2009, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

I've been waiting for that megalodon for a while now. A usb headset is perfect for my setup and previews seem to point to it being a great product. It was supposed to be released in q4 08 but razer hasn't even begun taking pre-orders. Anyone have a release date?
RAM: OCZ 4gb Platinum ddr2 800mghz
Video: Sapphire HD 5970
DIsplay: Benq 24 inch display