Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2009, 09:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I think the Signature 7 series will be next on my list, albiet pricey though.

S750 - Product Specification

Signature 7 Series

SPECIFICATIONS
- Power output: RMS 5 x 75W + 180W (THD=10%)
- System under developing FEATURES
- Heavy metal 5.1 speaker system with 10 inch subwoofer
- Dolby Digital & Prologic II inside
- Wooden MDF housing for all speakers
- Passive radiator on both sides on the subwoofer to exaggerate bass performance
- Magnetically shielded drivers for all speakers
- Switchable analog/digital input ports for most kinds of audio source
- Multifunctional wire controller with 2.5 inch LCD display (dimmer included)
- Headphone output on wired remote controller
- Master volume controls both speaker output and headphone output
- Volume booster for extra power output
- Separate bass and treble adjustments
- Multifunctional wireless remote controller included

Given what logitech lacks in qaulity the Z5500 does offer some value for your dollar there isn't another 5.1 digital system out there in its price range.

EE
Old January 20, 2009, 06:21 AM
Allstar

Given the quality of the DAC unit in the Z-5500's your better off using analog with the Z-5500's if you have a modern soundcard. A digital conenction to that system will actually be a downgrade in sound quality in most cases.

The Edifier's are definatley nice, They have many nice systems. Unfortunatley, You may never see this system here in North America....
Old January 20, 2009, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
Given the quality of the DAC unit in the Z-5500's your better off using analog with the Z-5500's if you have a modern soundcard. A digital conenction to that system will actually be a downgrade in sound quality in most cases.

The Edifier's are definatley nice, They have many nice systems. Unfortunatley, You may never see this system here in North America....
I have an optical cable (miniplug to toslink) on the way to my house (unless UPS lost it...) and I'll chime in on if there is any difference with optical vs. analog.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:30 AM
Allstar

There is, if you have newer modern soundcard with good DAC's.
Old January 20, 2009, 01:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Robscix,

It doesn't surprise me that the Logitech DAC's are crap by no means is product classifed as audiophile material. For the average computer enthusiast like myself and by no means am I any expert in Audio products I have been pretty happy with them, every product has it limitations good and bad. In short if I had the $$$$ I'd have an amazing sound system with more qaulity built into the system than value as for now the Z5500 are a suitable subtitute for my budget.

Edit: You are right robscix after further exploration and a more technical review of the Z5500 they are indeed quite inferior to most modern day Soundcards. Clearly the Z5500 are due for an overall technically and personally I'd like to see at a minimum 2 way statilite speakers used in a new design.

Its a shame we might never see the Edifiers, than again if the right arrangements can be made you can always get what you want for a price.

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; January 20, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old January 20, 2009, 02:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Believe me guys, I do not believe for a second that anything Logitech is audiophile quality. It is only a price VS what you get argument.

I'd love to see those high end Edifiers, they do make exceptional stuff.
Old January 21, 2009, 11:48 AM
Allstar

@Eagle eye, I am not saying the Z-5500's are a total bad product not at all. They offer a great product for the price.
AS for the DAC, if your using a motherboard onboard then the Z-5500 DAC would give you a upgrade in sound. The newer modern cards have some high end DAC's
The Z-5500's have been around forever...would be nice to see Logitech revise the design and make a system that is viable for todays customers...
Susch as:
Two Way Satelites
10" Subwoofer
High Quality DAC
better frequency control over the sub.
Wooden boxes on Sats and subwoofer.
Possible class "T" amplifier stages
There is alot of other features I would like also but this would be a great starting point. For the sake of conversation, If you guys could have what you want on a "PC" speaker system, what would you want?

Last edited by Robscix; January 22, 2009 at 05:38 AM.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:02 PM
Banned
F@H

I'm not concerned with wattage, I just want quality sound from 30hz-20000khz, with main speakers capable of 60hz, but roll-off @ 80hz. I want sound played from the speakers to sound the same as live...which I basically have now...but I'm not using pc speakers, because none offer this.

As far as I am concerned, you can buy any HTIB for the same price as the z-5500, and get similar sound. How the hell can I get a full reciever, dvd player, etc, for the same cost, with the same sonic value?

if z-5500 were $199, I'd have no complaint.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Believe me guys, I do not believe for a second that anything Logitech is audiophile quality. It is only a price VS what you get argument.

I second that.... lots of bang for the buck.
Old January 21, 2009, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robscix View Post
@Eagle eye, I am not saying the Z-5500's are a total bad product not at all. They offer a great product for the price.
AS for the DAC, if your using a motherboard onboard then the Z-5500 DAC would give you a upgrade in sound. The newer modern cards have some high end DAC's
The Z-5500's have been around forever...would be nice to see Logitech revise the design and make a system that is viable for todays customers...
Susch as:
Two Way Satelites
10" Subwoofer
High Quality DAC
better frequency control over the sub.
Wooden boxes on Sats and subwoofer.

There is alot of other features I would like also but this would be a great starting point. For the sake of conversation, If you guys could have what you want on a "PC" speaker system, what would you want?
You answered your own question Rob, LOL!