Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2009, 12:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Speaking of soundcards, I am puzzled by Creative Labs removing the Fatality Pros eries line of cards. I am a lucky owner of the Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Xtreme gamer professional series, with the gold plated connectors and bracket, and this is the best soundcard I have owned by far - now it seems the new line are all regular, connectors are no longer gold plated and they seem to use cheaper componenets.....
Old January 9, 2009, 07:29 AM
Top Prospect

As stated in previous posts, getting a stand alone sound card will improve your gaming performance. It will free up both CPU cycles, and memory; increasing FPS. Being an avid gamer, I notice every little nuance of sound, and a sound card will be a noticeable improvement over an integrated chip.
Asus P5K Deluxe / Intel Core2Quad Q9550@8x425@3400mhz(1.225v) / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / 4Gigs DDR2 1066mhz(5-5-5-15) Corsair Dominator / Diamond HD4870x2 / Asus Xonar / WD Raptor 74gb / Hitachi 160GB / Antec Quattro 850w / Logitech Z-680 5.1 / Dell Ultrasharp 24" / 2 LG Optical Drives / Vista Ultimate 32bit / A tower that's been drilled, cut, and bent to fit all of my fans
Old January 9, 2009, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Really is Creative phasing out the Fatality endorsed line of sounds cards? I checked their website they still have a full product lineup of them, well if they are its about time its the primary reason I didn't buy creative this time around. I can't stand products with endorsed naming schemes electronics should be marketed for their technological improvements not by some gamertag. I guess you have to appeal to the public in some form of intellect they will understand dumbing it down by the use of the some gamertag seems to have worked.

EE
Old January 9, 2009, 03:54 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
Really is Creative phasing out the Fatality endorsed line of sounds cards? I checked their website they still have a full product lineup of them, well if they are its about time its the primary reason I didn't buy creative this time around. I can't stand products with endorsed naming schemes electronics should be marketed for their technological improvements not by some gamertag. I guess you have to appeal to the public in some form of intellect they will understand dumbing it down by the use of the some gamertag seems to have worked.

EE
I could not agree more, like WTF does wendel know about PSUs? NOTHING!!

Corsair 600T White
Asus RoG Maximus V Gene
Intel i7-2600K w/Corsair H100
16GB Gskill DDR3 2400MHz
AMD R9 290X
OCZ Revo 3 240GB
OCZ Vertex 3 240GB
WD Velocirapter 600GB
LG DVD burner
LG Bluray Burner
Windows 7x64 Prem
Asus VE24/VE27/VE24
Logitech Z-5450 5.1 speakers
Corsair AX850 Gold PSU
Corsair K90 Keyboard
Old January 9, 2009, 04:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

hey maybe he does... but either way i stay away from fatal1ty stuff.. it's just overpriced.
the fatal1ty psus are a joke too 3 and 5 year warranty corsair has 5 year warranty on all. except a few psus.

Old January 9, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You're paying more so this jackass earns royalties off the sale of each card and creative knows all to well that everyone who wants EAX support will be forced to buy them.

EE
Old January 9, 2009, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think we were all fine with the naming scheme when it first came out though...but now that it's on everything, it's getting a little out of hand. That, and also notice how many tournaments have long gone to the grave?
Old January 10, 2009, 01:16 PM
Allstar

Get a soundcard if you want better sound quality and effects for your games.
You could look at the question another way. Many Mobo's have onboard video, Why buy a video card?
-Because they produce much better video. Once you move from a onboard to a good soundcard you will never go back.

As for the earlier Prelude Vs. SB X-fi comments. The Prelude has better, DAC, Opamps, ADC, Filter caps. PCB and better driver support. There is really no comparison between a Auzen X-fi and a CL X-fi, The Prelude is the best hardware gaing card there is. I had nothing but great sound form the Prelude in everything I did...not just games.
Old January 10, 2009, 05:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Sound card does make a difference.
About 2 years ago I bought the Asus Crosshair MB, it came with a sound card, I was all happy a new sound card!!! I still have the original Audigy 10years old maybe more it was great at the time.

Setup everything with the MB sound card the sound was horrible, when playing games you could not hear the true 5.1 surround sound I though I connected the speakers wrong.

Installed the 10 year Audigy, and the sound was like night and day.

My conclusion....even a 10 year old card sounds better than the one that comes with the MB.
Video Card: Nvidia 8800GT
Harddisk: 2 x Western digital
CD/DVD Drive: Asus
Monitor: LG Flatron W2353V
Case: Thermaltake Armor
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy
PSU: Thermaltake TWV 500W
Software: Windows 7
Old January 10, 2009, 05:47 PM
Allstar

For sure. Best advice anybody can give you is disable your onboard unless you need it for something specific and invest in a good quality soundcard. Ther are some exceptional soundcards out right now and more to come in the next few months.