Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 6, 2008, 01:00 PM
Top Prospect

Default New Ear Buds

I need some new ear buds but I'm having a hard time finding some (other than the $40 ipod ones) that meet my requirements:

• NOT noise-cancelling with the weird sillicon squishy bits
  • Doesn't have a L-connector (I have an ipod shuffle and they are really annoying I need one that's straight)
  • Not white if possible
Most of the time you can't tell what the connector type is, making searching very annoying.
If anyone knows of some good buds that meets up with that please let me know.

Thanks!
Old December 6, 2008, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would suggest Ultimate Ears Earphones Headphones Personal Monitors as they are simply the best in ears on the market in my opinion.

But they arn't cheap. I couldn't really point you to anything below a couple hundred, but that link is worth looking at for fun.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 6, 2008, 03:18 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I agree wtih encorp.

Rig // PC-A7010 :: 1050W :: Rampage :: Q6600 :: 8GB :: GTX 260
X25-V :: 4x 1TB RAID-5 :: 2x 1TB RAID-1 :: 4x 1.5TB :: 1x 2TB
G15v2 :: MX-518 :: Xonar DX :: 7 Pro x64

2408WFP :: DT770/80 :: Onkyo TX-SR605 :: Klipsch RB-61 :: SVS PB10-NSD
Old December 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Holy crap those are pricy!!!!!!!

Kudos to them for knowing their audience though. Don't think I've ever seen an advert with so much piercing (one of them even has the ear plugs.... :) ).

I think I'll stick with my $20 INK'd Skullz :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 6, 2008, 04:58 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scart View Post
  • NOT noise-cancelling with the weird sillicon squishy bits
But he doesn't want the silicon squishy worm in you ear types.
Old December 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

LOL if you think they are pricey take a look at the Westone 3s which just came out. I'm saving up for a pair. IMHO Westone > Shure > UE. Ulitmate Ears stick out and they are way over hyped, almost as bad as V-Moda's.

Since you are NOT looking for In Ear Monitors (squishy noise canceling ones) your choices are a lot limited. Good earbud style (though you may consider them too IEM for you ;) ) is the Sennheiser CX300, 400 or 500s. I got a pair of 500s for when I need to hear my surroundings but still want BASS. Stay away from Vmoda's they are fragile and WAY over priced. Honestly, if you hate the way IEMs "feel" you should give the Westone UM1s a try. VERY comfortable! Check out earphonesolutions.com, its a yank store but good prices and good people to deal with.

Actually what is your price range?
What kind of music do you listen to? Bass heavy? Treble lover? Looking for clear high ends? Crisp mids? Thumping lows? When you us EQ what does it look like? Shallow V Severe V? Straight line w/ a single peak? Inverted V?

That might help narrow it down for us in our recommendations. I've tried most on the market...at least everything sub 1k customs that is!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 6, 2008, 07:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Actually,

Logitech just bought Ultimate Ears about two months ago; so I've got a bit of a stockpile of their monitors here to try out hehehe.. But I owned a pair before that. I do love Westone's but just preferred UE, Shure are decent but I've always felt they were overhyped... mostly because the shure name is such a big thing in the recording industry, I didn't really like their frequency range as much. But that is entirely subjective from ear to ear.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old December 6, 2008, 11:38 PM
Top Prospect

My shuffle definitely does not have an equalizer, and I am note even remotely enough of an audiophile to know what I want, but I listen to a wide range of music including a lot of alternative as well as techno/trance.
And my price range is well below $100.
Old December 7, 2008, 09:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Encorp, its funny I never was able to get a good AND comfortable fit with UE. That and their horrible wires. WAY to much transference for my liking. Prolly why I am biased ;) I got to admit that some of the Shure's are overpriced but I like the 5300s and the 3 series (the last one I use(d) for audio books, 'cause of their crystal clear mid's make an audio book POP).

Scart, sorry for the OT conversation :)

If you want decent earbuds I usually recommend Sennheiser. They are not the best as bass, mids or treble response BUT are a good jack of all trades. I recommend going to a store that has a bunch of 'em....and opening the packages up and trying them on to see which model fits you the best. It may get you kicked out of the store but it will be worth it! Nothing sucks more than crappy fitting earbuds.

IF you can live with small muff style, KOSS has some really decent (yet cheap) muffs. Their KSC line are great bang for the bucks....assuming you can find 'em. Once again they are not great in any one area but area good jack of all trades style muff. Though they are more heavy on the mids/ highs than the bass. ;)

What ever you do, DON'T buy from ebay! You'll get crappy knock offs which will suck. Spend a few more $$ and go w/ a reputable seller.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr