Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Audio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2008, 05:12 PM
Allstar

Default help picking a gaming/music sound card

i need help picking a sound card.

my requirements are that it MUST have drivers for vista 64-bit and be otherwise COMPLETELY compatible(i should be able to plug the card in, adjust a few settings in the setup, and then be good to go). things like extended warranty and customer service aren't especially important considerations for me. also, cost is NOT important - although i'm not going to pay for features i don't need.

i will NOT be putting this card into a HTPC setup. it will be used on my computer desk and be hooked up to 2.1 and 5.1 speakers, my earphones, and the monitor speakers.

I will primarily be listening to music, watching bluray movies, and playing games on it(in that order). I've heard that its hard for a card to be good at both outputting music AND games, BUT those 3-D soung gaming features sound pretty awesome.

anyhow, i think i've narrowed it down to:

-Razer Barracuda AC-1
-AuzenTech X-FI Prelude

however, ASUS cards have also been mentioned - although i can't seem to figure out which one is the best.

i'm HEAVILY leaning to the Prelude atm, although if someone can make a case for the Barraduda...or one of the ASUS cards.
Old December 2, 2008, 05:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Asus Xonar DX is fantastic for under $100. I use it with studio grade Monitor speakers and Headphones. Its nothing but great. Its also PCIe, low profile, and works great with my Vista 64 bit. Software is easy to install and easy to use.

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel i7 3770K @ 4.6GHZ 1.28v
Galaxy GTX 680 @ 1241MHZ
8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
Asus Xonar Essence STX
OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
2 x 128GB Corsair Force GT SATA3 SSD RAID0 :)
Acheiva Shimian Q270 Lite 2560x1440

Benq W500 Pojector.

Watercooling:
EK Supreme HF, EK FC GTX 680 Block, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push/Pull.
Old December 2, 2008, 10:45 PM
Allstar

how does it compare with the auzentech?
Old December 3, 2008, 04:35 AM
MVP
F@H

I can't personally compare it to the Auzentech as I've never heard one but I can definately recommend the Asus Zonar DX like Cptn Vortex above.

My little Logitech speakers, Sennheiser headphones and low/mid range Paradigm home speakers all sound good.

It also adds 3D sound back into games without Creative getting a dime so there's another plus!
Old December 3, 2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Both are very comparable in terms of sound quality. I'd say the Auzentech for gaming (because of native EAX) and the Asus for music. Despite all the hate that Creative receives and deserves, the X-Fi is a pretty revolutionary chip.
Old December 3, 2008, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have to put a vote in for the auzentech prelude, very good card. Full support for vista x64 and drivers are made by auzentech not creative yet it uses creative tech so you can still use EAX (with alchemy).

Some cards have problems with the mic input being way to quiet, you can rma the crad for a new one if you get this. Mine has this problem but my on-board soundcard works fine for the mic input so thats what I use.
Old December 3, 2008, 10:13 PM
Allstar

i see the barracuda has no love lol

thanks for the opinions :) i'll probably go with the auzentech if i happen to have some room in my budget and the DX otherwise
Old December 4, 2008, 03:20 PM
Rookie

+1 for the Auzentech Prelude. I was having trouble with a Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic in Vista x64, got the Prelude and have never looked back. Works perfectly, fantastic sound quality.
RAM: 4GB Corsair Dominator Twin2X PC2-8500.
Graphics: Xpertvision Radeon HD4870 1GB.
Sound: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1.
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB.
PSU: PCP&C Silencer Quad 750w.